• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help using Ness

CanadaKid91

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Smashers!

This is my first post so please forgive my inexperience. I have been playing Brawl ever since it came out and find myself playing as Lucas, Ness, Pit, Diddy, and King Dedede (just for some laughs).

In Melee, I really liked Ness and spent most of my time playing him. In Brawl, however, I can't seem to be as good with Ness as I am with Lucas.

I would really appreciate it if you could share some basic tips on how I can improve my Ness. I think Ness has a lot of potential, though I seem to have some difficulty doing well. Again, can you share some Ness strategies to help me out?

Please do not misinterpret me: I am not claiming to have any skill, I am merely asking for help.

Thanks for your time and your help

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness is a complex character. He's hard to use, but he's a great character. Lucas may seem easier at first, but its like acceleration. Once you pick up speed with Ness, you'll love him for sure.

I'll just give you some basic tips.
Use aerials and grabs. Its where Ness' game revolves.
Spam the fair and usmash. They're my favorite moves.
Practice PKT2 recovery if you are a begginner. It can be hard to use at first.
Learn to se PKT mindgames. Try finding .Yoshi's vids for good examples. PKT is Ness' wildcard.

Now for outside advice.
Go find Aevin and .Yoshi's Ness (Ness/Lucas) guides. They have good info.
Go here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162892
Watch some pro Ness vids. I reccommend .Yoshi (for his awesome PKT mindgames) and Ademisk (Just cuz he's really good).

__Crazy__

Smash Cadet
Yeah at first I liked Lucas way more but now that I can use Ness effectively, I don't see any point in using Lucas anymore. (Except glitching >_<)

Advice?

-practice landing PKT2 on human opponents
-***learn to use all of Ness' aerials effectively*** VERY IMPORTANT!!!
--back air is for kills
--foward air is for comboing and defending yourself from attacks
--up air is for comboing and killing
--down air is for combo starting or spiking (sending them straight down over the edge)
(you can also come up with other uses where you see fit)

And everything Earthbound360 said. :p

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
When you're getting combod in the air from below, resist the urge to use dair. I do it a lot, and it's not good in these situations due to startup lag. Just use nair.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Fair provides the safest landing
Well, I was referring to when the opponent is directly below you and attacking, try not to use dair as they'll usually hit you first. Instead, use nair. If the spacing is right, then obviously use fair.

CanadaKid91

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the support guys!

I'm glad to see that Ness is so popular (I'm the only one of my friends and family who uses the Mother Boys)

I'll definately look into these tips.

Top Bottom