• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help! Tech Chasing Issues (Specifically Against Falco)

Sevan

Smash Rookie
So i was wondering if anyone else had this problem and has any tips, tricks or specific ways i can practice to overcome it.

When I vs Falco's alot of the time when i go for a tech chase, i get there slightly late and they will usually spot dodge shine and then combo me hard. Now this happens even at times when i think, ok i really think hes going to pick tech to center (for example), so i wait to see the animation start, then spring into action and im still late. This is suppose to be reactable too but it doesnt seem like it is for me. With the insane roll distance + extremely good spot dodge its really hard for me to do follow up.

Now ive been playing for 2 and a half years, and what i try to do is bait out the spot dodge with many different techniques (ive tried ALOT of different things) but in this post im specifically talking about being able to get there in time.

Its also important to note that I think my reaction time is on the slower side. All of my friends started playing the reaction test game on out phones and im on average getting scores between .28 and .30 seconds when the average is suppose to be .28.

Anyway im looking for anything that someone can reccomend to help me get better at tech chasing in general or more specifically against falco.

Rachman

be water my friend
If you're slow on tech to center you might be missing your smash turn. Otherwise, start grinding. It's hard

Foxco

Smash Cadet
You have to practice tech chasing specifically and pay a lot of attention to the animations so you can discern which tech they are performing as early as possible, to make the punish window as large as possible.
Also, knowing exactly how you are going to punish each tech option before they tech helps reduce your reaction time, since you don't have to focus on a follow up, only on which animation they are performing.

svinthekid

Smash Rookie
It just takes lots and lots of practice unfortunately haha. I do have a couple tips that may help you though:

1. Make sure to always stand in a way that you can grab tech in place without moving.
-First of all, this is really the only way to cover tech in place on reaction. The window is so small that you don't have time to run first.
-Secondly, this lets you react to tech roll in either direction.
-Thirdly, it makes the spacing of your tech chasing the same every time. This greatly helps with being able to react to all options because it's not a different situation that you have to analyze every time.

2. Don't jump-cancel grab tech in place.
-If you're properly following step 1, you don't need to jump cancel your grab. A jump cancel grab is 1-3 frames slower than a normal standing grab (depending on how fast you press grab after jump). Since the window for covering tech in place is so small, you really don't want to waste those frames. Since you say that your reaction time is currently on the slower side, you want to be able to use those frames reacting; not jump cancelling unnecessarily.

3. Space your grabs well when chasing tech away.
-Learn how far your grab can actually grab people, and try to go for the farthest range possible. This will obviously save you a couple frames of running. Obviously don't "over space" and miss though haha.

4. If you realize you reacted too late to an option (or can't get to the spacing for point #1 in time), don't try to tech chase with grab.
-Ideally, you won't ever react too late, but reaction tech chasing is hard. As you practice more, you will recognize if you got your timing off and will be late. If this is the case, trying to react as if you aren't late (like with grab or upsmash) will only get you punished.
-If you realize you reacted late to tech in place, dash back to bait out a spotdodge or shine or something. Best case scenario, you successfully baited them and can run back in with a grab. Worst case: they dash back too and the situation resets to neutral. Either way, it's better than getting 0-deathed haha.
-If you realize you reacted too late to tech away, sometimes it's okay to chase anyway with a short hop, early neutral air. Neutral air covers spotdodge and won't be hit with shine unless they are expecting you to come in with nair and can time it well. This becomes bad if you're predictable with it (they can just dash back and come in to punish your lag) or if they're within crouch cancel percent.

5. 20XX Hack Pack
-By turning on a color overlay for the "Wait" state while training, you can see when you were too late on a tech chase. If they flashed a color for even a single frame, you're late.

Just like anything else in this crazy game, tech chasing just comes down to practice, practice, practice! Good luck!

Last edited:

nugget61

Smash Rookie
After I knock Falco down I try to keep him within shuffle aerial range. SH Drill covers tech in place/ spot dodge/ and can jab reset if they miss the tech(gotta let the drill rock though). You just gotta stay close enough to him. You can always react to tech roll left or right, so as long as you hit the lcancel on your aerial and can hit the back dash or w/e you should be fine. You can also sh up air but that only covers missed tech and tech in place, whereas drill's hitboxes can save you if you're a little slow.

Top Bottom