• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Replacing Vanilla Brawl Portraits

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi, I'm pretty new to modding and have become familiar with Brawl Costume Manager. However I'm having a problem. I can replace a .pac and a CSP just fine, but how do you replace the BP and results screen portrait for costumes that have not been touched by PM? For example I'm trying to replace these for Ike (who has no PM costumes) but in Brawl Costume Manager the area is blank, there is a brres: not thing, and you can't drag anything in. Help would be appreciated. Here's what I'm looking at: http://gyazo.com/1cbf30a9244eeddf7d28e458c52dabe9

Sandfall

Stage Designer
This is because those files aren't present on the SD card. You can find them in the brawl data partition on KC-MM's resources page on the following folders: info>portrite (these are the battle portraits) and menu>common>char_bust_tex (Results screen portraits). Place the contents of these folders in their corresponding paths on the SD card (should be the same as the data partition). Make sure you don't overwrite the portraits that are already there though.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Okay I thought I had it but I'm having trouble.. I got the Brawl portraits in just fine but I can't seem to replace them in the costume manager. I get an unable to write access error.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Okay I thought I had it but I'm having trouble.. I got the Brawl portraits in just fine but I can't seem to replace them in the costume manager. I get an unable to write access error.
The costume manager is extremely unreliable, I would simply suggest manually replacing all the required files. I tried using the manager for my own custom build and eventually got sick of it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The costume manager is extremely unreliable, I would simply suggest manually replacing all the required files. I tried using the manager for my own custom build and eventually got sick of it.
I know but I don't know how to convert to .brres

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes that's what I have tried to do but when I close out the costume manager it doesn't save. When I hit the save button it says unable to write

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Yes that's what I have tried to do but when I close out the costume manager it doesn't save. When I hit the save button it says unable to write
Don't use the costume manager, it is a terrible program and it is extremely faulty. It fails to save any and all changes you make during the compression process.

Just manually replace the pictures in their respective file locations.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
This usually means that you already have your common5.pac file open in another program. That's the only time I've had that issue. Oh and if you're working of your SD card, check to make sure it isn't locked.

Don't use the costume manager, it is a terrible program and it is extremely faulty. It fails to save any and all changes you make during the compression process.

Just manually replace the pictures in their respective file locations.
This is only an issue with the recent versions of the costume manager. Brawl Costume Manager 3.2 has always worked perfectly for me.

Y-L

Smash Champion
This usually means that you already have your common5.pac file open in another program. That's the only time I've had that issue. Oh and if you're working of your SD card, check to make sure it isn't locked.

This is only an issue with the recent versions of the costume manager. Brawl Costume Manager 3.2 has always worked perfectly for me.
Downgrading my costume manager did the trick. Thanks!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
So I have another concern.. I get now that you can add the needed files in to change the BP/results screen picture, but what about the CSP? I'm trying to replace the csp for the yellow lucario and I can't put in in.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You need to add it into the common5 pac.
Yes but how would I go about doing that? With the other things I could just drop a file into a folder. I would have no idea how to drop an image into a file. Especially because I cannot do it via the costume manager apparently.

Narpas_sword

ok, open common5 with brawlbox

+ se_selcharacter_en
+ char_bust_tex_lz77

then each of the miscData branches has a texture file for a character.
right click on a texture, click replace, then find your ones.

i recommend changing one character at a time, saving then testing to make sure it doesnt go awry

Y-L

Smash Champion
ok, open common5 with brawlbox

+ se_selcharacter_en
+ char_bust_tex_lz77

then each of the miscData branches has a texture file for a character.
right click on a texture, click replace, then find your ones.

i recommend changing one character at a time, saving then testing to make sure it doesnt go awry
That seemed to work, thanks so much for your help!

Fortress

Smash Master
Never had a problem with my version before. Only problem I've ever had is that sometimes battle portraits aren't able to be changed, but is fixed by copying somebody else's, renaming it to the one that's not showing up, and throwing it into my BP folder. Haven't been able to go back to that piece of **** Brawl Box since. Got sick of navigating through fifty folders in fifty locations to change fifty-thousand files over the course of ten minutes at a time for a single character.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
so how do you fix the problem with not being able to drag and drop with costume manager? (having issues with csp/bp and RSP for some characters)
For bp's/results screen you have to add the original brawl brres (pm only includes ones they've already replaced) from the resource section of brawl vault, and then you'll be able to drag and drop over it. For csps I had to use brawlbox (see above)

Narpas_sword

Ah, my problem is with extra costume slots from cbliss, so default brawl resources won't have them.

There are Pics in all the slots in common5 and BP and in menu/common/charbustext. I they just don't come up in the manager

Top Bottom