• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help replacing background of stage

SuperSixtyFour

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarFoxZ
Does anyone know how to replace the backdrop of a stage? I'm kind of new at hacking Project M stages and I wanted to know how to replace the background of Final Destination for example, how would you do that and what hacking tools would be necessary?

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Is quite easy really, I might just need to prepare a tutorial for it, I don't have the sources handy... ok, lets try hands on:

Get yourself PM's FitFinal.pac (final destination melee), open it with this:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35494

you'll notice a .pac, open it.
you'll notice a couple of Model datas, open each, on one of them contain the background... that "model data" is what you will replace.

Look for a background you want using another stage, extract the modeldata with all the content inside as a .bress, also you have to extract the texturedata that countains the background textures you need as a .bress...

Once done, tell me and I instruct the next steps.

Last edited:

SuperSixtyFour

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarFoxZ
Okay I opened the model datas for STGFINAL.pac, is there a way to replace the background with a moving image similar to a .gif file?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Is there a way to replace the background with a moving image similar to a .gif file?
I need more info on this, is the replacing background a Brawl Model? Or a fully functioning 3d model? I'm worried you are talking about a 2d custom image gif, something I'm not specialized with.

Okay I opened the model datas for STGFINAL.pac
Alright, you'll notice a blue square on the window, click it to expand it.

Then you'll notice red squares, these contain separate models on the stage, the number of these depens on the stage.
Sometimes, these red squares can be easily be exported (keep in mind, I said export the red square itself, NOT the contents inside it separated from it)... depending on them, once opened, you'll encounter numerous data found inside the section of that red squares... included are animations, models, and texture mapping needed for that section to work properly, sometimes these do not have the textures on them.
That is why there are extra red squares labeled "texture data", export that and import it onto the stage you chose to give the new background(don't replace the texture data inside, it may have the textures of the main stage)

FD has two red squares labeled "model data", one square is the background, the other, the stage.

Replacing the sky model data with another background model data of your choosing, that is functional, will give you results like this:

Top Bottom