• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help/rate mah mario (sheik make me cry)

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Hello mario board I am an old melee player recently coming back because of the smash4 hype(the actual game suck so I will stay on melee)seemingly making our before nonexistent local community in melee grow really fast.Not sure if smashboard is still alive but ill take a chance and ask for some of you super sexy mario players to help\rate my mario in an effort for me to I hope have a tournament legit mario.

From a small tourney in quebec city where the average skill level wasnt very high.Also dont mind the silly french commentary TOs love their stream setups feel free to mute loll.

Vs Peach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToZSVw5wKc&index#t=10m00s
Vs Sheik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTcaDg4J48&index ( i need help with this one I know I could have chain grabbed more but we had an agreement on no CG but comming back to it Sheik is so gay that I should have disregarded that agreement)

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hello Melaf! Weird that I've never heard of you. But that makes our meeting even better! My tag is "A Rookie" and I also main Mario, but I'm from Southern California. Well I critiqued your Grand Finals Set since that's the one you really needed help w/ from what I've read and from what I saw.

@ 01:18 - grab the edge vs Sheik next time. Time it so if she does try to up air w/ her 2nd jump, you'll still have invincibility(but at how low she was you were safe). Have to grab the edge so you can force her on stage to kill her.

@ 01:41 - you could beat almost ANYTHING w/ a great inv. waveland on stage into immediate uptilt. You would've definitely beat her ftilt or dropping down from the platform. Waveland uptilt is a great offensive move to keep your opponent honest and make them think twice. Also, when you got slapped offstage, you should've done an immediate tornado(get close to maximum height) so you can conserve your cape to mix up your recovery better. And remember that recovering low vs Sheik only means you want to eat an inv. bair. So only try to recover high or as quickly as possible. There's one way to truly punish a point-blank dsmash from Sheik. That's SH fair after the first hit makes contact w/ your shield. If you have the concentration and reaction, you can punish it consistently. I still haven't punished it enough, but I'm getting there.

@ 05:49 - the grab you get at you could've definitely hit her if you did it faster and angled it up left. You have to angle it when she gets to around like 115ish%, but it works all the way until about 140%.

At 09:00, you should've done a reverse nair to hit her of stage and rinse repeat. The thing about this MU is, you have to mess her up when she's recovering. If you don't take advantage of her recovery, then you just lost like 33% of the MU. I think you should start to DI towards center stage/no DI at like 80% because it's smarter to take an upair that won't kill, rather than going through a tough recovery, if you can even make it. Try to refrain from doing so much nair approaches, he ended up grabbing you a lot for that.

Things you need to implement more is Crouch Canceling for sure! You didn't do it once, not from what I watched. CC'ing keeps Sheik players honest from hitting you w/ walking ftilts or just anything. You counter it w/ a CC dsmash. This MU is whoever grabs more for the most part. If you don't get grabbed at all for one match, I'll bet money that you'll win that match next time. I know it's a lot to ask for, but you can definitely minimize his grabbing potential by stopping the nair approaches and fishing for moves too much. He started adapting to you fishing, and waited w/ a grab. You should've adapted to him and waited for his shield so you could grab. Not enough grabs unfortunately. Also, whenever he needlestormed, you got hit/grabbed 5/6 times. To avoid that, just roll away from all of that to reset momentum and position. If you can't use dairs because he's reading them, then only use them if you want to challenge him in the air. Either by reacting to one of his jumps or making a good read. You definitely have solid fundamentals/traps/gimps/knowledge. I just think you need to play a little more and wipe off the rust. You seem like a good player to me, but just need to be careful on the grabs, doing the appropritae DI, and not gimped. You shouldn't have agreed to no chainthrowing. There's no benefit for you not chainthrowing. Since it only works until like around 30%. Plus, it's weird that you'd agree to that, she can't even chainthrow you XD Haha. Ever time she grabs you, can upb out or just jump out. But good set! You had the counterpicks down to a tee. But lack of grabs on FD hurt my soul. I think if you don't know how to get in effectively, shoot some fireballs to make them work around it and you can force an opening or better positioning that way. I think you're a lot better than this imo. I can tell you're a formidable foe and I want to see you do better and beat him next time you two play.

To beat her:

-CC(don't need this, but you should try it)
-Grab
-Edgeguard
-A Great Recovery

Here is a video of me vs a well-known, modern Sheik back in Feb this year. See the do's and don't's of my gameplay and see if you can use any of it! Take whatever works! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eWOlv6TY-Y

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Damn thanks a lot man I didnt expect a long post like this but its very helpful. I gotta say I have seen you play a bunch previously in some vod\tournament and your mario is super sexy Im glad that you are the one that responded I used to look up to The Cape for my mario But I honestly think that you are much much better.I also agree with pretty much everything you pointed out and yes I am rusty lots of technical mistake in my play.I just wonder sometime how to approach a defensive sheik player actually its my problem with all the top tier characters They either can punish whatever I do or I need to camp and its pretty dumb. Overall I feel that my neutral game is very very bad. Still tyvm for your post

a rookie

Smash Ace
Damn thanks a lot man I didnt expect a long post like this but its very helpful. I gotta say I have seen you play a bunch previously in some vod\tournament and your mario is super sexy Im glad that you are the one that responded I used to look up to The Cape for my mario But I honestly think that you are much much better.I also agree with pretty much everything you pointed out and yes I am rusty lots of technical mistake in my play.I just wonder sometime how to approach a defensive sheik player actually its my problem with all the top tier characters They either can punish whatever I do or I need to camp and its pretty dumb. Overall I feel that my neutral game is very very bad. Still tyvm for your post
Approaching defensive players is an uphill battle w/ Mario since it's usually the Top Tiers that are a lot faster than you and will punish you for every little mistake you do. From my experience, I've learned that you have to take the lead. Get a stock lead if you can and make them come to you. I'm not saying camp them, but make them play their own game and most likely they'll hang themselves if you play solid enough. Against a campy Fox, if I have the lead. I'll just sit in my shield if I'm at kill % because I know they can't really get anything off of a grab. If they try to upthrow up air, you can jump out of that every time w/ a good timing on your double jump. So you always have to think of the risk-reward options. Risk of you putting up your shield? Get grabbed. Reward? You avoided a kill move AKA random upsmash. LOL. That's how I fight if I have the lead. I like to fluster my opponents sometimes by extending the lead, little by little. If it's against a campy/defensive Sheik. I just rush her down w/o fear or second-thought and usually gotta make 1 read to get in, which is fine. Thing is, you shouldn't be too scared of Sheik. Only way she can kill you is probably slap or upair, which are usually chained off of grabs/tilts. So approaching w/ shield is pretty good vs Sheik, especially if they're abusing walking ftilts. But don't just stay in shield all the time when you approach, mix it up w/ WD oos at different distances to feel out your opponent and trick them w/ mixed up spacings. But yeah, you just want to chase her until you get a grab or opening and not letting her go until she's dead. Treat every opening as it's your last and you'll do better that way.

And also, thank you! I'm very flattered that you think I'm better than The Cape, but who knows? I grew up watching The Cape's combo video but was kind of sad to not seeing him play against top players :( But he was definitely an inspiration to me. Along w/ Green Mario and Brown Mario. And lately, KoopaTroopa895. You should look him up, he's part of my crew and he's getting better as well! But yeah, your Mario is pretty darn good for being rusty. If you have any more questions, just let me know!

@ Britex Britex : Have you played Melaf? If not, you two should meet up and exchange info. It'll help a lot!

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Another mario main in Québec :o
I remember playing a mario a couple years ago back in smash till you crash in montreal was it you lol? I might go to smash intensify this saturday so if you go we might be able to play some mario dittos lmao I played some with lampadaire a while back and its super trollish and fun haha.

Thanks for the extra tips rookie lol Im waiting the moment Ill see a mario main take a national agaisnt a legion of space animals that will be amazing xD

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yup, I think we can take a national if we play solid. Mario has everything he needs to destroy a space animal. Just gotta know how to use all your tools effectively to scare the hell out of all spacies. Forget taking names, it's time to start taking tournaments!

Top Bottom