• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Help] Punishing at the ledge

Whiztard

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,
So I played a For Glory match yesterday against a stellar Lucario. He was able to cover a lot of my recovery options at most times. After that, I realized that I don't really know how to punish people well at the ledge when they are recovering.

The following things are the things that I currently do to punish:
1) When people recover from a high enough angle to get spiked by up tilt
2) Space against get-up attacks and punish with a forward smash
3) Punish a jump recovery with an up air or knee

I absolutely do not know how to punish the following even if I get a hard read:
1) Regular quick ledge get-up
2) Rolling back onto the stage

Also, I am not sure if I am doing my punishes correctly for these scenarios. How far should I be spacing from the ledge to cover as many options as I can? Should I be setting up combos based off of their recovery and how would I do that? Also, I don't really know how to fight midair off the edge. Any general (l)edge guarding tips are much appreciated.

Fauni

Smash Rookie
When the enemy is out there jumping out with back airs and stomps works well for me. The regular quick getup is really good in this game and can only be punished in only a few frames so holding A to rapid fire jabs should hit them or the lingering hitbox of bair is also good for that. For rolls you just have to be ready and punish with a grab or maybe run past and pivot tilt. You could also try stealing the ledge

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
standing at a good distance away from the edge will cover every option. About the length of your dtilt.

when they do the normal get up, downtilt (much faster than fsmash with just about the same amount of reach)

when they jump, yeah you would uair...possibly knee.

when they roll, you have much more time to react to that, by dashing away -> pivot ftilt/fsmash/grab

you can react to the get up attack or ledge jump by blocking, then either grabbing or dropping shield into gentleman.

BakiThaG

Smash Apprentice
Everyone has a pattern. The stand up option should be punished by ftilt or dtilt, the latter of which will give you early game spike/gimp set ups and kills at high percentages. If they like to roll onto the stage, predict it and stand between the ledge and where they would end up after the roll, stuff them with a down smash. Block ledge attacks and punish with grabs. Learn how your opponent likes to recover and you'll have an easier time dealing with them on the ledge

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
You overlooked when the opponent comes back from underneath the stage.

I get a large percentage of knee kills by running off and Fairing when they come from underneath. If they're too close to the stage, try a run off Bair instead. Running off and Dairing is also an ok option but I think you need a stage with wall jump option to recover (not tested on other stages)

Last edited:
Top Bottom