• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Picking a Main

Madcatz McGee

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone.
I am a dedicated Melee and PM player, but I've been wanting to take a swing into the game. However, I am kinda stuck on who to play. I was hoping that somebody could give some recommendations for a player who is just starting out in Smash 4. I play Peach in Melee and PM because of a strong projectile game, good recovery, and powerful neutral. I do NOT like Peach in Smash 4, but I was trying to find a character that has the three abilities I listed above. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks again.

Jackguti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackguti
I would say Villager because he is a good neutral. He has an incredible projectile game. And finally, his recovery is very good. He has pretty good matchups with a few hard ones but overall he seems like the ideal fit

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I was never much of a Melee or PM player, but just going off of those three requirements here are some ideas.

:4link:: Link has projectiles in spades, with bombs, boomerang, and bow all being useful tools. His recovery could be a lot worse, with both a tether grab and a dangerous Up-B, and bombs can help here as well. As for his neutral, outside of projectiles he also has the large, strong disjoints from being a swordie, though he is a little on the slow side.

:4mewtwo:: Strong projectile game from Shadow Ball and Confusion? Check. Powerful neutral thanks to good speed and disjoints? Check. A recovery that is can be hard to intercept due to a weird double jump, teleport, confusion, and invisible air dorges? Check.

:4sheik:: Easily one of the most oppressive neutrals in the game, a top 5 recovery thanks to Vanish and Bouncing Fish, and needles are a silly good projectile. Takes a lot of skill to master though.

:4tlink:: Mostly similar to Link (above). I'd argue a slightly better neutral just due to being faster and some projectile differences, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know the characters well enough to give hard fact variations.

:4villager:: As stated above. Villager has one of the most frustrating neutrals due to his projectiles, particularly B-air/F-air and Lloyd Rockets. Also a super long and relatively safe recovery through Balloon Trip's travel distance and mobility, though it doesn't have a hitbox with it...

:4wiifit:: Some personal bias here, but WFT might fit the bill as well. Amazing projectile game with Sun Salutation and Header, and a long distance recovery that many are afraid to challenge due to her killer off-stage game. WFT doesn't have a great neutral, but instead tends to ignore the neutral altogether, since she plays very well without stage control and forces opponents to approach through healing.

As a final note, if you are coming from Melee or Project M, be aware that, on the whole, recoveries tend to be a lot better in SSB4, partially due to character differences, partially due to different game mechanics such as ledge trumping replacing ledge hogging. As such, you may find that your recovery isn't as important to you anymore, as only a handful of characters truly struggle to get back to the stage if they get knocked off.

Last edited:

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
As someone who is also more from Melee and PM I can say most characters with the exceptions of like Roy, no Limit Cloud, and Little Mac all have decent recoveries. Recoveries in general are very easy in sm4sh compared to Melee/PM. Most characters have very generous magnet hands and the ledge mechanics limit off stage edge guarding and make recoveries in general simpler. This in turn makes the game very neutral game focused.
Strong projectile game: Toon Link, Mega Man, R.O.B. & Villager are the ones that stick out. (My sis is a Melee Peach main who mains Toon Link in sm4sh)
As far as a similar play style to a Melee Peach walling someone out with turnips I would think Rosalina might be a good option. Possible other characters that have like one good projectile and good neutral could be Pikachu, Mario, Sheik, ZSS, Luigi, Diddy, Mewtwo, or Lucario.
The game is so fundamentally different from Melee/PM it's hard to have that approach finding a character in Sm4sh. I personally play Sheik bc she's the most similar to that Melee/PM feel. She almost impossible to edge guard, has an outstanding neutral and her needles could very well be the best projectile in the game. But she lacks KO power and is light so that can be very frustrating for some as there is little room for error with her.

Top Bottom