• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help picking a main? I've been playing for a year and still can't decide.

Ransora

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ransora
3DS FC
4227-1602-3153
So, I've been playing this game religiously for about a year and have gotten all characters in top 10 to about the same skill level. I've played each of them in tournament multiple times. I don't wanna main anyone outside of top 4 due to way to obvious drawbacks, besides maybe falcon, and even then I HATE waveshiners so i don't really wanna play him. This is why I dropped peach.

I like peach, marth, sheik, and fox. I am best with peach and marth, but even with marth i choke in tournaments because my neutral is worse than peoples that havent even played the game long or just played casually, as with peach i am super calm throughout. So i main her for that reason right now. Since fox is the best and most technical character, when I get better I might play him. Nobody thinks fox is lame or cheap or anything, so instant style points too. I really like doing a lot of fast things and being super overwhelming, but I love strategizing and being very evasive and punishing super hard too.

I quit peach some time ago because I got extremely salty about being waveshined. While I'm best with her, I don't want to play her for that reason and because she gets killed really easy and has horrible mu's against like half of the top 8. Even though I find her a steady level of fun (not fun but not boring), nothing she can do puts her into a high level of excitement for me, unlike marth.

Marth. I love everything about Marth. His elegance with movement, his fluidity, his style, his moveset. I have tons of fun playing marth when I pull off my sick combos and when I try to decipher my opponent. Marth feels very good for me and I honestly put him way up there. There's nothing about him I don't like, besides his difficulty (but I love it too) and his difficulty to not get stringed into up airs by fox. Marth is a character that has my favorite move in the game, a reverse dolphin slash. I love throwing spacies off of ledge, fairing, then reverse up b for the gimp kill. It is my favorite thing to do in the game. I have fun doing ken combos and juggles as well, it makes me feel like a king, but I HATE when I flub and I make unsafe options on marth all the time. I don't feel my playstyle fits marth at all, but I love him so much, and he is who I mained when I quit peach.

Next, Sheik. My second most considered character to main. Sheik is also not fun but not boring for me, she feels very comfortable and graceful. I love the LoZ, and I love sheiks playstyle just as much as marths. I love gimps, grabs, her needle b turnaround thing, her speed, her movement, her elegance and her fluidity. One problem, style. I LOVE styling, to where even in tournament if i can i'll gladly lose a stock to do so. The problem is, nobody thinks sheik is stylish, except for maybe me, because i love how stylish her model is and how she does her attacks and how it looks. I also love tipper upsmash and upsmash oos, but beyond that you can't really style too much, and even then nobody thinks she's stylish. She also doesn't get waveshined as easily as the other waveshineable characters.

Third, fox. I love how fast and overwhelming aggressive foxes are, and I love the shine spike and shine in general. I love the nair, uair, backair, combos, and everything in between. Problem with my fox is that I suck at his tech and my hands aren't fast at all. Sure, I can short hop with him consistently, but I can't sh nair shine or drill infinite or anything like that. Hell, I can't even get 2 drillshines or 3. I love doublshines and tripleshines too. I love his shield pressure and it comes very easily to me. I think fox is pretty boring except in friendlies sometimes.

Falco is next and imo is one the most stylish characters in the game. I am actually probably the worst with falco, but I really like his combos and how you can be aggressive and look super swag with walljump dair or side b ledge cancel dair. I hate lasers and really don't use them, as they feel super cheap. I don't like how slow his wavedash is, and I can't even doubleshine with him because I do it too fast, and with fox I can doubleshine grap or shinegrab consistently. Tons of people in my state main falco, even more than sheik, so I don't wanna play falco for that reason. I dont just wanna be another trash falco. Falco feels jank but looks cool imo, and is definitely fun to do sick combos with.

Falcon is swag and very stylish, and I love playing him and being cool, but I hate how he cannot tech shine and how he can be waveshined. His recovery is easy gimpable, he can be comboed pretty easily, and he gets SHUT DOWN by falco due to lasers, way more than even marth or peach. The only reason I even wanna play falcon is sick moonwalks, knees, and falcon punches. I wouldn't tech chase with grab with him often or at all, and I would definitely not be very defensive and optimal, but instead try to look as cool as possible.

My neutral game is trash but it's been getting way better. I don't have many matches under my belt, but I can definitely fix my neutral problems easily. In a perfect world, I would love to play everyone, but I know that won't work and I need to pick ONE character maybe 2 for certain matchups.

My friends all tell me to pick a main and stick with them, but even a year later I can't do that. I like these characters the same amount. I need help.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I mean, that is for smash 4, so I doubt anyone there will even know what i'm really talking about. For example there is no shine spike in sm4sh.

EDIT: Shines spike to shine spike
Oh, sorry, forgot to see the main forum.
But I'm sure there's a mains advice thread for Melee, you go and find it.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
New theory for choosing a main.

It's not about what you can do right now, because right now you are nothing. It's about where you going to be after maybe dedicating a year or 2 to a character.

Watch top play for every character and really get a sense of what they are capable of at that level, then pick whichever one you think you'd like the best after a lot of practice.

Imo, based on your post alone, I'd say pick marth and watch mango's marth to get an idea of how to make throwing out lots of moves as marth work. But letting other people decide for you would be lame lol

Massive

Smash Champion
You know that character that when you play them you sometimes think "this character is so easy, all I have to do is X and I'll win!".

Play that one.

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
The first character I'd ever played was Falco. Even if I wanted to play someone else, I have a bond to Falco's play style and flow. that keeps me playing him. THAT is what you have to find. It sounds cheesy but it's the character that chooses you.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
It sounds like you may have a connection with Marth. The way you speak about using him tells me that you really do love the character, and when it comes down to it; this game is about having fun.

Choose the character that you have the most fun with. That way when you do get more skilled with them you can represent your favorite character and what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom