• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help on making a name tag

Eitan

Smash Rookie
i have been playing smash for some time and i have the problem of not having a good tag. i just use eitan here since its just my real name and in other games i just use a random number with it but if im going to tourneys and stuff i don't want a generic name. i generally am really bad with making names for anything so i hope someone can help me with it
i main sheik only if it matters btw

(sorry if this isn't the place to post it since i didn't see any better place)

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Anything can formulated into a tag, really, mine is an inside joke between my friends and I. Do you have any nicknames? Distinguishable traits? Defining features?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I use "SWOOD" so maybe someone will recognise me from here or Smashladder. Of course I use it in the hopes that someone will get the reference. Which most people do.

Eitan

Smash Rookie
the only nickname i really have is palter and i guess i can go with it or something like palster master or something like that
the only inside joke i have with one of my friends is "the alien from mars" so maybe i can go with something like tafm?
i guess they are at least better then dr pee pee (anything is) but i still don't want to end up with something generic like darkevilprince555
(also what is swood referencing? )

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I use "SWOOD" so maybe someone will recognise me from here or Smashladder. Of course I use it in the hopes that someone will get the reference. Which most people do.
THEY JUST COULDN'T STOP ME!

'Nanas

Smash Rookie
Everyone calls me banana so my tag became a shortening of that, but as for creating a tag you could always make some obscure reference to a favorite TV show, or my friends' tag is greenkatana his favorite color and sword so it shouldn't take too much

Eitan

Smash Rookie
You could try the random button. I went as "COUGAR" for a while.
i prefer something that has more of meaning to it or something
THEY JUST COULDN'T STOP ME!
after a quick trip to google i found a jontron video so i guess that's the reference
Everyone calls me banana so my tag became a shortening of that, but as for creating a tag you could always make some obscure reference to a favorite TV show, or my friends' tag is greenkatana his favorite color and sword so it shouldn't take too much
my favorite color is orange but i dont watch any tv shows

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why not use Eitan?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pick a favorite animal, and use that maybe?

Like what I did. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
penguin? i have a feeling thats taken
Oh there we go!

How about Tux? Short, simple, rolls off the tongue, and references penguins.

'Nanas

Smash Rookie
Look up some awesome sounding noun in the dictionary and then stick a cool adjective in front of it

Or xedo, the other half of tux, that sounds BA

Last edited by a moderator:

Eitan

Smash Rookie
Look up some awesome sounding noun in the dictionary and then stick a cool adjective in front of it
i used a random noun generator and i got Catamaran which btw cats are my second favorite animals it means some thing like A catamaran ("cat" for short) is a muiltihudde vessel consisting of two parallel hulls of equal size. but it sounds really cool imo what do you think about it?

Penguins look like they're wearing little tuxedos.
that does sound nice, or maybe xedo like nanas said

out of all the names below what sounds the best?
palter
tafm
penguin
tux
xedo
Catamaran

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i used a random noun generator and i got Catamaran which btw cats are my second favorite animals it means some thing like A catamaran ("cat" for short) is a muiltihudde vessel consisting of two parallel hulls of equal size. but it sounds really cool imo what do you think about it?

that does sound nice, or maybe xedo like nanas said

out of all the names below what sounds the best?
palter
tafm
penguin
tux
xedo
Catamaran
I still like Tux, but be careful not to double or triple post. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
yeah i do like tux but catamaran and tafm also sound nice and ok
While Catamaran is also nice, Tux, in my opinion, is better since it can be used as a tag in all Smash games since it only takes three letters, and is also easier to say, and therefore stay in the minds of the people in your scene.

Like, people can very easily remember Tux since it's a simple word, it's a classy word, and it's a word that's only three letters.

Just my two cents anyway. :p

Eitan

Smash Rookie
While Catamaran is also nice, Tux, in my opinion, is better since it can be used as a tag in all Smash games since it only takes three letters, and is also easier to say, and therefore stay in the minds of the people in your scene.

Like, people can very easily remember Tux since it's a simple word, it's a classy word, and it's a word that's only three letters.

Just my two cents anyway. :p
well tafm is only 4 words, and my smash scene is really small so i dont need to worry about people remembering me :)

Khao

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel like simple names or nicknames are usually better than random references or memes or whatever, simply because they are kind of more personal and meaningful to you as an individual.

You can look for a cool-sounding word, or something related to your character, or something you like, or even something that other people will recognize.

But will that reference really be you? Like, will others associate that tag to you as an individual, or to whatever it is that you are referencing?

Of course, if it's unique enough so that you're identified immediately by that word alone, then that's totally good. But don't just pick a random word because it sounds cool. Be creative, and choose something you can actually identify with. Otherwise, you're better off using your name, or at least a fun play on it.

The most important thing, is that you actually like the tag, and its something you can identify with. Random noun generator? BLEH. Penguin is boring and kind of more generic than Eitan.

The others seem like great choices to me. Tux and Xedo are clever. Palter and TAFM relate to you specifically. I think one of those should be the one you go for. I personally like Palter, especially if people actually know you by that, but your choice.

Last edited:

Eitan

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I feel like simple names or nicknames are usually better than random references or memes or whatever, simply because they are kind of more personal and meaningful to you as an individual.

You can look for a cool-sounding word, or something related to your character, or something you like, or even something that other people will recognize.

But will that reference really be you? Like, will others associate that tag to you as an individual, or to whatever it is that you are referencing?

Of course, if it's unique enough so that you're identified immediately by that word alone, then that's totally good. But don't just pick a random word because it sounds cool. Be creative, and choose something you can actually identify with. Otherwise, you're better off using your name, or at least a fun play on it.

The most important thing, is that you actually like the tag, and its something you can identify with.
well palter is kind of my nickname at my school but i don't know about it since it sounds weird (and people in my school dont speak english so they pronounce it differently)

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I usually just go by "JAGUAR" but occasionally I will use my "TurboTime!" tag when I play as Red Falcon, just because he kind of looks like Turbo Man from the movie "Jingle All The Way".

Last edited:

RomanRamen

Smash Rookie
NNID
RomanRamen
3DS FC
1993-9497-6990
When I first picked my tag it was at my first Melee tournament, I used my name Roman to sign up and when setting up my nickname only 4 characters were allowed ROMN didn't look too cool so I put just ROM. Then people there just started calling me ROM so I went with that. If your name is pronounced like I'm imagining, then I could suggest trying the tag: 18.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
Here's a list of stuff based on your name

Eit
Either
Palter Ego (Alter Ego)
PalEit (Pal Eit)
---------------

Here's just General names:

Ninja Eit
Chaotic Needles
PShiek
EShiek
Palter Eit
Earnest Ninja
Hardworking Hylian
-------------------------------

aaaannnd I got nothing....

I tried. :substitute:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
i have been playing smash for some time and i have the problem of not having a good tag. i just use eitan here since its just my real name and in other games i just use a random number with it but if im going to tourneys and stuff i don't want a generic name. i generally am really bad with making names for anything so i hope someone can help me with it
i main sheik only if it matters btw

(sorry if this isn't the place to post it since i didn't see any better place)
My name is Stan, so my tag is L.Nasty (anagram for stanly). I've grown pretty attached to it. If you want here's a list of anagrams for your name:
http://anagram-solver.net/eitan

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Some of my favourite Smash tags I've seen are Husband and Wife, because of how they intermesh and are pretty clever because of that. Also, just using your name isn't that bad a thing. Look at Ken, his name sounded cool so he just stuck with his name. Eitan is a pretty neat sounding name, but if you don't wanna I do completely get it

penguin? i have a feeling thats taken
heh yeah, I've used the name Dirty Duck on numerous places as a username so when I got into Smash I was like yeah, makes sense.

But most people shorten that to Duck, and there's quite a popular player already called Duck so \_(:/)_/ I need to think of a new one.

My real name is maxie-boy, which isn't exactly common so I could just use that, but in comparison to other Smash tags it just sounds like a lame nickname.

Trying to think of tags, Grimes came to mind, just because she's a singer I like and it's a cool sounding name. I feel like I'd be ripping her off even though she ripped off a genre of music, and there are smashers called stuff like Green Ranger, which is obviously from something else.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
While this is slightly embarrassing -
Awhile back, I jokingly called my girlfriend "Mistress", and she jokingly called me "Pet". And now those have just become affectionate pet names for each other - not anything sexual.
So when I needed a tag that could fit in any Smash game, I went with "Pet".

D

Deleted member 269706

Well I like rock music a lot, and I also like Paper Mario TTYD. There was a character in there named the Rawk Hawk, and I really liked how they spelled "Rawk", so I made a variation of the word "Rockstar", and that is my tag (as well as my username). Most tags are something personal that only that Smasher will understand. Either that or they'll be boring AF. Like "Ken", or "Isai" were just generic names but everyone knows who they are, and there's no shame in that!

Eitan

Smash Rookie
the problem with going with my name is that nobody knows how to pronounce it, i dont want to be in a situation of the winner is: aytan? Etan? ethan? ect trust me i have been in enough streams to know......

Eitan

Smash Rookie
Random thought: Rather than using your properly-spelled name, type it out exactly as it should be pronounced.
the problem is that theres no way to type it like how you pronounce it

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
What I've wanted to come up with is a cool set of tags for my brother and I to use during online doubles. For a little while I went as DANKEY and he went as KANG because I'd play DK a lot, but I want to figure something out that sounds intimidating.

Top Bottom