• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help On Maining Toon Link

Jash098

Smash Rookie
Yes, I know some of you will comment on me just joining but thats becasue I just found this site which is of corse the best one around :p.

Anyways.

The reson for me Maining Toon Link, is because Im a huge Zelda fan, and I was always a Link play threw out every game. (Young Link in Melee Of corse.) But senice they took out Young Link and Replaced him with Toon Link, I can live with that because Toon Link is much better I am all ready finding.

Anyways, I want some pointers on a few ways to play better with him. I use the GC controler, and know very little Combos, but I can recover effectivly and can handle my share of the hits and normaly come out standing on top in the end. But I know that I am bad with him, and I would love as many Pointers, maybe a video that EXPLAINS (Not a "Montage, or Someone just doing really good in a fight) a few new tricks that I can use to play as Toon Link.

Thank you for your time

Benedetto

Smash Cadet
Tips

I agree with ZDAN that you have to make good use of his projectiles, when you get in close use lots of short hops and bairs/neutral airs. If you get into shield roll fights on the ground I use that as a good opportunity to get a fsmash off if you can predict your opponent correctly. You can spike players with his down air if you start it directly on top of them which can get pretty easy KO's when they're recovering. Most of my Toon game is throwing bombs and neutral airs. Punish ground approaches with a well placed grab.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Although Dair off the ledge is suicide if you miss, so practice it many times until you get it right, then you will get early KO's. I have yet to master it yet (::sad face::)

BTW: Fair is a just a slightly slower version of Bair, but it has more knockback, so start using it on the opponent when they're at higher percents instead of Bair, which really doesnt kill that great.

Jash098

Smash Rookie
Confusing stuff with the Bair and Fair, but i think I understand.

The Short hops and that how would I go about doing that?

And thanks for the advice so far.

EndLy

Smash Rookie
Confusing stuff with the Bair and Fair, but i think I understand.

The Short hops and that how would I go about doing that?

And thanks for the advice so far.
if you watch one of kizzu's video .. the one where he's fighting ike at smashville (the only one i have watched so far)
he executes bair combos very nicely...
you can execute two bairs with a short hop so it's a good starter to get your opponent moving along

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Some Combos:

(SHDA = short hop double arrow)

down throw > up smash > double back air > fast fall > foward air (or foward smash if they are on the ground)

down smash > pull bomb > boomerang > SHDA > throw bomb > up smash > up air

SHDA > pull bomb > SHDA > up B > up air

I already have a long list of combos (which can be improvised too) with Toon Link. I use the C-stick for ALL of his direction A moves in order to get them out as fast as possible. I use the arrows as a"barrier" and the bombs and boomerang as a diversion.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
One thing to remember is that combos are more guide lines of what to do and wont always hit so you need to be ready to adapt on the spot, especially when you play better players because the will have good DI which makes them harder to combo.

Zelacoth

Smash Rookie
I wasn't very good at short hops but I saw all of the videos of people short hopping into sick TL combos, so what helped me a lot is just going into practice mode and just short hop (tap jump just a tad) then neutral A.

then teach yourself to hit down at the peak of your short hop, makes you fall faster, so just SH > nair > down >SH > nair > down till you get the hang of it. Then, you should start throwing in Fairs and Bairs once you're used to the timing and hand motions.

Hope this helps

Mystikal

Smash Rookie
Some Combos:

(SHDA = short hop double arrow)

down throw > up smash > double back air > fast fall > foward air (or foward smash if they are on the ground)

down smash > pull bomb > boomerang > SHDA > throw bomb > up smash > up air

SHDA > pull bomb > SHDA > up B > up air

I already have a long list of combos (which can be improvised too) with Toon Link. I use the C-stick for ALL of his direction A moves in order to get them out as fast as possible. I use the arrows as a"barrier" and the bombs and boomerang as a diversion.
Do you mind letting loose this "long list?" :D

Jash098

Smash Rookie
Thank you for your help guys :D. And If any of you want to have a match maybe to show me a few things, feel free to message me. :D

Nate the Grate

Smash Rookie
you mained as young link in melee? he sucked in that game, adult link was far better.

anyways ya toon link is great. im maining him too.

tips
1. air: bombs and dairs to spin attacks

2. his boomerang is actually effective in this game at close range

3. quick attacks followed by aerials

some of the stuff i use, im still new with him. best thing to do is practice alot and come up with your own technique.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
you mained as young link in melee? he sucked in that game, adult link was far better.

anyways ya toon link is great. im maining him too.

tips
1. air: bombs and dairs to spin attacks

2. his boomerang is actually effective in this game at close range

3. quick attacks followed by aerials

some of the stuff i use, im still new with him. best thing to do is practice alot and come up with your own technique.

1. air: What about fairs nairs and bairs? and how about some shorthops?
2. Boomerang good; bomb better:
a. Gives you a second recovery if held and exploded at the same time
b. Shorthop and press z to drop the bomb and use dair for a decent edgeguard (if you cant hog in time)
c. Stun damage and exploding projectile, almost uncounterable except by roll or block. A.K.A Extreme versitility.
3. vote @ USmash or Dsmash or SSmash.

Robostrike

Smash Cadet
Nate, this isn't a FLAMING BOARD!!! Go make your own thread on it.

anyways, strat wise, pick and choose: do you prefer aerial style techniques or ground based knockback attacks. It's always much preference of your liking.
Maining Aerials usually leads to sending people offstage, followed by DAir. Usually people would do some BAir/FAir to get them offstage and set up for DAir. Another Strat is to send people up a tad bit and initiate UAir for vertical KO's

As for Ground battles, usually focus more on sending people away from you using your projectiles. If they are close, then use either DSmash or USmash, this should really piss off human opponents cuz it just almost mimicks Samus Players from Melee (shooting nonstop and then doing a Dsmash or FSmash when opponents are near). then finish them off with one aerial attack, preferrably FAir, UAir, or DAir.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
1. air: What about fairs nairs and bairs? and how about some shorthops?
2. Boomerang good; bomb better:
a. Gives you a second recovery if held and exploded at the same time
b. Shorthop and press z to drop the bomb and use dair for a decent edgeguard (if you cant hog in time)
c. Stun damage and exploding projectile, almost uncounterable except by roll or block. A.K.A Extreme versitility.
3. vote @ USmash or Dsmash or SSmash.
Bombs aren't always better man because of how ease they are to catch now people will just catch them and toss them back at you.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Let's not forget TL's main finisher on the ground, his Fsmash. Sure his Usmash has plenty of knockback and KO ability, but his Fsmash is much better at KOing at higher percentages. After the initial slash, hit A again for a second, much more powerful attack. The attack also allows about a second of waiting time, so you can hit once, pause, then hit again.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Actually his dsmash is a much better KO on the ground. If your opponent is hit with the first attack in front of you, the smash pulls him into the second one which has the greater knock back. Plus dsmash comes out faster.

Jash098

Smash Rookie
Is Final Smash is'nt just on the ground. You can use it where ever, I jump off the edge and go after people with it, it just takes timing and Practice.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I definitely don't get KO's with the Fsmash until later on, due to the fact that if you Fsmash someone on the ground, THEY HAVE TIME TO DO STUFF in between the first and second slash. They can jab, shield, and/or grab. It really sucks. Dsmash and Usmash are way better (although weaker, but WAY faster).

MIRN

Smash Cadet
The thing I find the most helpful with TL is constantly changing my game, especially once people expect you to do certain moves. Our projectiles are our greatest strength here. The arrows are a good interruption, but I find the bombs and boomerang best for mind games., especially when you're hitting someone from above or below with them. Many people tend to highly dislike the bomb downthrow+ DAir combo, especially. ;) However, people come to expect it, so sometimes I'll throw down a bomb and come at them from the side instead, or use a boomerang etc. You get the idea.

Of the smashes, I still prefer the Fsmash. It may take some mindgames to pull off that second hit versus a good player, but the Usmash does not have nearly the knockback, and the Dsmash, while good, is less likely to kill at a lower percentage unless you are close to the edge. Nothing is more fun than following someone off-stage and using DAir, but I am still at the point where I suicide about as often as I pull it off. :p

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I agree. Don't use Fsmash until 100 at least, maybe not 100, but definitely dont spam it. It LOOKS good, but it has it's flaws. And definitely change up the game. Example, I like to use grounded Up-B for damage. But I don't start using it until later in the game, it's like how you should never show all your cards at once, save some for later.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
One key thing is to remember that the knockback and damage of attacks are significantly lowered each use and that it takes 12 successful attacks for the game to clear the use of an attack. So what I do is use projectiles and lots and lots of bair. Since I use it over and over, the knockback isn't much, and comboing with it is easier even at 80% damage. Once they get over 100-110, I use fair for the first time, and kill them, since it is at full power. I also like to save Up smash for a similar purpose and use D-smash for damage building and punishing rollers.

MIRN

Smash Cadet
One key thing is to remember that the knockback and damage of attacks are significantly lowered each use and that it takes 12 successful attacks for the game to clear the use of an attack. So what I do is use projectiles and lots and lots of bair. Since I use it over and over, the knockback isn't much, and comboing with it is easier even at 80% damage. Once they get over 100-110, I use fair for the first time, and kill them, since it is at full power. I also like to save Up smash for a similar purpose and use D-smash for damage building and punishing rollers.
Precisely. I seem to perform best when I use my projectiles, tilts,DAir and BAir to rack up damage, and the smashes for the kills.

To the OP, best advice I can give is to just go into training mode for a bit and get yourself familiar with all of TL's moves, I found that exceedingly helpful since TL plays quite differently than Young Link from Melee.

jkizzle

Smash Rookie
iv found that throwing a bomb up and then throwing and oppent up after it is a good way to put people in the air for a combo

Top Bottom