• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on improving myself

Ryralane

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Brawl since the day it came out in America. I've always been the top Smash player in my group of friends, and now I am in Brawl too. I'll lose by chance a few times from items or random explosions, but I'm pretty much the best player around here (As far as I know). Although I've made it this far, I'm still not near as good as I'd like to be or can be. Problem is, I don't have any better people to practice with and I can't do online matches with people because my internet sucks. Anyone have any pointers?

If anyone got confused, I'm basically asking "How do I get better with the limited resources I have?"

Thanks in advance for any positive replies.

pirkid

Smash Lord
If you can, go to a local tourney. You'll see people who play the game like you've never seen before, usually.

Playing with items to practice is a bad idea, as most competitions ban them. Your free to use them with friends, however. xD Encouraged, in fact.

If you really can't find anyone who's as good as you, practice doing combos in Training mode and then battle your friends. Practice those combos on your friends.

If you do find a tourney you can attend, good luck, and hope for the best! A local tourney is probably your best bet.

Boa

Smash Cadet
Have you memorized your top character(s) yet? It took me years to perfect it, but in Melee, I could play each character flawlessly and knew each of their weaknesses and strengths. If you learn the ins and outs of your character(s), you indirectly improve yourself and know what to expect from any other players that play your character(s).

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Training mode is useless for Brawl. There are no "combos" to practice. I'd say just fight level 9's. No joke, they're not half bad practice. And definitely drop the items. Good people can use items. Item users are not good. Sounds contradictory, but items turn Smash from a serious, deep, intellectual, fighter, into some lame, I'm-more-lucky-than-you-thus-I-win mosh pit.

And definitely go to tourneys and look up people in your area via Regional Zones.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I'm stuck in the same situation as you other than the bad internet part. I'd really like to attend a local tourny.

jonfled

Smash Cadet
Lvl 1 computers. Read up on tactics. Char. specific forums.

Also, don't play with items on (though I'm not sure if most brawl tournies are allowing them or not) if you want to really practice.

Basically a /agree with pirkid's input.

Top Bottom