• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on how to properly "Ken Combo"

Piemaster37

Smash Rookie
i get the basic idea of what i should do, but it seems like when i get them off the edge and hit them with a Foward A i cant find where to hit them on the sword where it puts me above them so i can spike. and if i do get it, the lag on the Down A just kills me. Any tips on how i can improve? and is there any tips on how to hit them with 2 Foward A's? ive seen videos of it but ive only managed to mash out 1

Mahie

Smash Lord
  • Learn proper terminology. Forward A could be either Forward tilt, air, or smash. It's easy to tell you're talking about Fair, here, but still.
  • Fair, like most it not all of Marth's attacks, has different effects depending on the part of the sword you hit with. A close range Fair will send them horizontally, while a maximum range (tipper) Fair will send them diagonally if not close to vertical depending on their DI.
  • It's up to you to recognize which part you should be using. If they're still grounded, you might want to go for tipper Fair first, to pop them up in the air. If they're already in the air, then you might want to use a close Fair instead.
  • When it comes to hitting the dair (down-air), you want to hold backwards during your rejump, in order to put yourself instantly in the range that spikes ( the tipped Dair). You need to learn how to move as fast as possible after your fair, in order to get the dair out while they're still in stun.
  • You might want to try and practice hitting your down air, then spamming sideB, just to get an idea of when you can move, and then recover. That or just upB right away. The goal being to learn the timing and not to survive, that'll come later.
  • Short Hop Double Fair relies on your ability to imput the first Fair during the rising part of the jump. If you do that, then you'll be able to imput another Fair, Uair... while falling.

cosmonaut

Smash Rookie
fair -> JUMP -> dair
Now you're going to need to change the combo up according to your situation. But if you're on the stage and someone is trying to recover back on to the stage above and in front of you, it's normally best to follow the formula above. Get that down first before you try switching it up.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
If you end up right above the enemy after ur fair, don't even jump. Fair -> falling dair combos a lot more than you'd think.

Eternalis

Smash Rookie
If you end up right above the enemy after ur fair, don't even jump. Fair -> falling dair combos a lot more than you'd think.
The problem with this is that it tends to cause a lot of SDs. But if you are going to land on the edge of the stage then go for it!

FFGMarth

Smash Rookie
You can Ken combo as long as you commit to it. When I do the Ken Combo, I make sure my opponent is at least at 65%. Then I dash A, without hitting my opponent with Marth's tip. When I get him in the air, the rest you can preform.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
The problem with this is that it tends to cause a lot of SDs. But if you are going to land on the edge of the stage then go for it!
It really wouldn't if people didn't press down on the Control stick hard. Like, they can just tilt it down or just move it down the same way you'd shield drop (nice and easy).

Or if your control stick is in the forward position, just roll it to the down position.

Or C-Stick.

I know we're talking about fair --> dair without double jump, but...just on a side note, you can immediately move your control stick downward after you jump. Because during your jump, you can't fast fall (you can fast fall at the peak of the jump and anytime afterwards). This is another way to prevent the fast fall of doom.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
A certain part of the tip (lower) can help you whereas the upper tip of it may send them to high to hit.You have to experiment and knowing the frame data could help you out.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
You have to do this:
1) have your second jump your second jump is key
2)Forward Air
3)Depends on if they Di or not and then
4) Use that second jump (They should now be below you)
5) And BAM! Down air, there you go Ken Combo.

Top Bottom