• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help On Ganon Matchup!

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
So I just came home from a local after I got knocked out by the same Ganon player twice (He was knocked into losers by someone else,but then came back to win the tournament). I only have a little over a year of experience competitively, but I want to learn how to deal with Ganon since I now know how bad this matchup actually is. Is there some sort of strategy that can be pulled off in order to deal with this matchup properly? I am decent in my basic tech, but the Ganon was just spacing out his fairs almost too well and I kept getting destroyed.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I personally think Samus beats Ganon.
Spam missiles and stay grounded.
Ganon's Fair is slow, so space well and punish it. The problem I had before with Ganon's Fair is that the hitbox is so much bigger than it looks. If you've got the same problem, learn the range of the disjointed hitbox and you'll space better.
Edgeguards are free. Be patient and don't miss them. Utilt, dFtilt or dFsmash standing on stage. Hit their Wizard's Foot with missiles and charge shot. Drop from ledge or wavedash/run out and Nair, Bair or Dair when they are recovering low. Important to respect the big grab box of the first frame of Dark Dive.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
I personally think Samus beats Ganon.
Spam missiles and stay grounded.
Ganon's Fair is slow, so space well and punish it. The problem I had before with Ganon's Fair is that the hitbox is so much bigger than it looks. If you've got the same problem, learn the range of the disjointed hitbox and you'll space better.
Edgeguards are free. Be patient and don't miss them. Utilt, dFtilt or dFsmash standing on stage. Hit their Wizard's Foot with missiles and charge shot. Drop from ledge or wavedash/run out and Nair, Bair or Dair when they are recovering low. Important to respect the big grab box of the first frame of Dark Dive.
Yeah the thing was I had lost the first match (Final Destination) and then won a match in the set on pokemon stadium where i was able to shoot missiles consistently and keep Ganon under pressure, but then he counterpicked to battlefield and kept camping top platform until I got imptatient and tried to go after him. I also had problems with him doing his upb Oos and he kept hitting with me at least three times per match. I think I am gonna focus more on spacing since his Fair has a crazy long hitbox and also will work on movement and Mc'ing since im still not nearly as consistent as i should be. Thanks for the help though!

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Up-air is very underestimated in Falcon/Ganon matchups. Try it out.
Really? but doesn't upair have kind of low priority and is pretty weak overall? If you think it is good for the matchup, do you know if there is a certain percentage where it becomes useful the most?

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Really? but doesn't upair have kind of low priority and is pretty weak overall? If you think it is good for the matchup, do you know if there is a certain percentage where it becomes useful the most?
Uair is one of samus's more disjointed moves and it's kind of fast. That and the multiple hit boxes will clash with ganon's hitbox and then continue on to hit him because of the... multiple hitboxes.

SCIENCE

Smash Journeyman
watch Plup vs any Ganon

@Pluplue does not lose to Ganon ever

imo: missile a lot, respect his fair (but try not to shield it; try to outspace it). if he jumps too close you can dash attack. i think uair / fair are pretty decent vs ganon; abuse the fact that his fair takes forever to come out.

Now Disappear

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProjectBlitz
Space out and missile him. If you know how to use the super wavedash then use that. I'm on mobile so excuse the rather awful explanation.

GspotMicrostock

Smash Rookie
double jump missiles and triple jump missiles are something that I think might prove effective used on a middle platform to get someone off of the top platform. dash jc grabs and extender grabs could prove useful. im not the most experienced, but missile spam is important against ganon definitely. as far as spacing him goes, some of those ftilts might be pretty good in the right moments.

Top Bottom