• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on Fox matchup, or should I pick up a secondary?

Puff_Revin

Smash Rookie
I recently got 2nd at my local tourney losing GF coming from winners 0-6 against fox as jiggs. He just knew how to play the match up and played it incredibly well. He laser camped and stayed safe, only approaching with full hop nair shines and finishing me off with up smashes and up airs. I felt like there was literally nothing I could do, I spaced my back airs not letting him shield grab me and tomahawking to try and grab but he would just shine oos. Any tips on how to win this match up or should I pick up a secondary. If I were to pick up a secondary, what secondary would be best? What comes to mind with my lack of consistency with high tech skill requirements would be Marth or Shiek. Any suggestions and tips would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I would recommend learning the Marth vs. Fox matchup on FD if you are really having that hard of a time, but besides that ban Yoshis and just practice the matchup and in time, it will come.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
If desperate, learn the spacey ditto or marth for small stages to mix up the oppenent's reads on you

King5280

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally much rather go to yoshi's than pokemon stadium. It's much easier to get fox off stage for gimps and he can't laser camp you or dash dance camp you nearly as well.

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's only kills puff 5 percent lower than on PS while the stage is much smaller on Pokemon making it better for puff

Smash Apprentice
I'm tired of hearing that crap because grabbing Fox is incredibly difficult because of his shield pressure.
Go to ledge, grab ledge, fox lasers cannot hit you on ledge, pisses fox off, fox approaches like an idiot, destroy the fox, next stock plz

Massive

Smash Champion
It is very common to get shined OoS by spacies if you are attempting to cross them up.

Spacies get an advantage when you hit their shield and still have forward momentum; your hitbox only connects once so they end up with frame advantage to punish your approach (unless you're using dair or a move with multiple hitboxes). Do not commit to crossing them up frequently or predictably.

Poking Nairs or spaced bair/fairs are usually pretty effective vs spacy shield, but don't always work. Baiting fox's dashdance with a pound or aerial is a viable strategy, I have used dash attacks for this with moderate success as well.

Most importantly, do not land with an aerial out, and do not land directly next to a spacy. If you land with an aerial out, fox can dashdance grab you. If you land next to them, keep in mind that they can punish you being next to them from either side OoS, so while this works well on basically everyone else, it doesn't on fox/falco.

Regardless of what you're doing this matchup is probably puff's worst. Puff is very slow compared to spacies, so campy laser-fox can feel unwinnable on stages he has room to run away on. Yoshi's Story (and any smaller stage) is actually your friend in this instance since your hitboxes cover more of the stage and therefore cover more options. I usually ban pokestadium or DL64 (if they dont ban it for me) when i'm playing vs campyfox to prevent him from getting too far away from me.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Top Bottom