• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on combos

Oakdoober

Smash Rookie
I have been playing captain falcon a lot and I don't know how to thread them together. It's hard for me because I try combo-ing and people keep escaping my combos.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Just keep practicing doing them as fast and tight as possible. Use c-stick for aerials, make sure you're doing combos that are actual combos (like not trying to do dthrow-dair or something), and remember that your opponent can move their character while in hitstun, which sometimes lets them get out of combos.

Oakdoober

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help. But I also need to figure out how to follow up because I do stuff like dthrow nair nair but then I have to stop because then the people get too far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barndo

Alaska TO/FGC Member
NNID
zenbakudon
One thing to keep in mind when you're juggling people with nairs is that their momentum is created by the second kick of the nair, and is also influenced by how fast you were moving in their direction when you hit them with the second kick. The reason people are getting thrown away is because you're likely moving too fast horizontally during their hitlag/launch. Of course telling somebody how to do it is not truly an effective way of learning, you will have to practice it, but the way to resolve the people going too far from your Nair is the timing between the length of your dash, stopping the dash, and jumping while keeping that momentum to line yourself up for the hit. There isn't really a way to tell you how long this could take to learn and get down to a science, everybody learns the game differently and at different paces.

For some general combo advice, something to get into the habit of doing if you're like practicing against bots, is knock them around and juggle with your Uair. It's Falcon's best juggling move. Down throw combos into Uair at nearly any percent (besides absurdly high %s of course), and if I remember correctly, is a true combo. Of course you should practice this against real people as well, not just bots, but it will be significantly easier for you to learn your hitboxes and timing FIRST, then work on your predictions and reactions to other real players. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.

There isn't really a tl;dr aside from keep practicing, and you'll get to where you want to be.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
I have been playing captain falcon a lot and I don't know how to thread them together. It's hard for me because I try combo-ing and people keep escaping my combos.
watch zeros guide on youtube and sky williams guide

Demitus

Smash Rookie
Practice your short hop fast falls. If you can do that, you will be able to combo people a lot more

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Practice your short hop fast falls. If you can do that, you will be able to combo people a lot more
This is very useful with Nair. If you short hop->Nair fast fall and land only the first kick on a grounded opponent, it has almost no knockback. It combos very well into jab, Ftilt, grab etc.

Top Bottom