• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on bridging the gap?

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, what'sup? I'm Oasys, a long time, recently semi-serious smash player from RVA, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for my friends and myself who have all recently taken a second look at smash, and are trying to start to get into the competitive scene. We've all been long time players, ever since our youth when Melee was released. We've gotten a lot older now, and have mostly all become semi-competitive gamers, and, all having a love for Melee and the Smash community, have decided to pick it back up.

So, we're a small group of about 8 people who meet up once+ a week comprised of Marth, Spacies, Shiek, DK, Falcon, and Puff mains, and are all SOMEWHAT mechanically capable. The extent of our abilities are wavedashing, shffling, dash dancing and the like, though when it comes to wavedashing, they're still somewhat random(Don't REALLY know how to apply it to our game yet xD)

Any advice, whether it be character specific, game specific, or overall advice to get into the community would be much appreciated ^_^ Thanks in advance!

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Well **** man having that many people is such a great start. I would say start looking for some local tournaments and just practicing like you guys have been.

dkuo

Smash Lord
Keep playing and start attending local events! It's cool that you guys have a crew going already.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Whoa wait wtf? I live in Richmond, VA. I thought it was just Milkman, Cyrain and I who played here. We go to local tournaments in Virginia and Maryland occasionally. PM me, let's talk haha.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Wow nuts! O_O Cyrain's a friend of one of the guys. Basically, one of our "members" used to smash with him, tope, and all the others from RVA back in the day, they actually went to high school together. We all happen to go to JTCC and that's generally where we play all our games :O We've seen you guys play! Haha, we still have a long way to go though, but I'm sure we'd all be down for playing some games ^^ I'm not entirely sure how PMing works on smashboards, but if you guys wanted to meet up sometime soon that'd be great :)

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Wow nuts! O_O Cyrain's a friend of one of the guys. Basically, one of our "members" used to smash with him, tope, and all the others from RVA back in the day, they actually went to high school together. We all happen to go to JTCC and that's generally where we play all our games :O We've seen you guys play! Haha, we still have a long way to go though, but I'm sure we'd all be down for playing some games ^^ I'm not entirely sure how PMing works on smashboards, but if you guys wanted to meet up sometime soon that'd be great :)
Yo that's awesome! I'm down at VCU most of the time, but when I go home every now and then, I'm like 5 minutes away from JTCC. Do you guys have a Facebook group of your own? I'd love to play with you guys the next time I go home.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
We don't, actually, though most of us just have each other added haha. VCU's like 25 minutes or so from my place :O But yeah! If you wanna add me on facebook, pm me your info or something and we can try and set something up ^_^

Cyrain

Smash Ace
What's the name of the person that knows me from highschool? o_O

Also I'm always down to play, but I live pretty far from you guys and don't have a car soooooooooo yup.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Oh **** I haven't seen that ***** in a minute. Uhhh I mean I live in Woodlake in Midlothian. I dunno exactly where you live, but prolly about 30 minutes. My room isn't really set up to support a lot of people at the moment, but i can definitely play with people whenever. Just hit me up and set up a time. This will sound egotistical, but in order to avoid discouragement, you probably shouldn't bring anyone who gets upset about losing badly. You'll definitely learn a lot from playing with me or Milkman, but expect to get ***** hard over and over at first. I'm really only interested in playing people who are genuinely interested in improving quickly.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Believe me, I've prepared to get rolled xD. We all know we're nowhere near as good as you guys :p Tom and arguably myself are the best two overall, we have 2 guys who's execution is alot better than ours, but their decision making isn't there yet, so they're a little held back. We're OKAY, but yeah I've seen you guys play, and I'm ready to get bodied ahaha. I feel like most of us would be okay with that. I get really salty really fast, but it shouldn't be a big deal(Especially cuz I'm not EXPECTING to win or even do well tbqh xD) as I'm a pretty easy going dude when I'm not heated ^^ Woodlake... I'll look it up? :O We've been playing at one of our friends apartments, but it's kinda tiny, and we're pretty cramped with 6-8 people tbh xD

TehPinkEmoBunni

Smash Rookie
Yeah... it's also an absurdly small tv as well. If we could manage to hook up a better monitor or something, that'd be amazing.
I'm out near Deer Run, and it's scary to know that there were people nearby that played o_o;

MetroidMaster20XX

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm the guy who's been hosting the Project Melee sessions Oasys was talking about. Deer Run isn't that far from where I live, since my family lives in that area, though it's near Deer Run Rd. and Hull St. I'm definitely game for smashing with people, and don't mind having new people over. Perhaps for tomorrow's session we can get y'all out here, or take our setup out to Richmond.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Cyrain and Milkman are going to a tournament in Maryland tomorrow I believe, but I'll be home until Sunday with access to a car. Oasys said he would tell me when and where to go tomorrow, so you guys don't have to worry about it. :) I'll also bring a copy of Melee if you guys are interested in playing that.

MetroidMaster20XX

Smash Rookie
I'm interested if I can get gamecube games working properly off my Wii again. Something I've gotta fiddle with. I am hosting again tomorrow, most likely livestreaming it, usually just come in whenever and leave whenever. Feel free to PM me as well for the details

Top Bottom