• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help needed with Sheik

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Hey there

I need help on two specific things concerning my Sheik.

First off I am having trouble wave dashing and shorthopping with Sheik. My other main is Ness and I find it much easier to do both of these with him. Is this just a matter of me not getting the rhythm down quite yet?

And secondly I was wondering how to change the direction I am facing while in the air. I saw it in capt. Jacks combo vid and I was wondering how he did it.

Thanks for the help

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
Hey there

I need help on two specific things concerning my Sheik.

First off I am having trouble wave dashing and shorthopping with Sheik. My other main is Ness and I find it much easier to do both of these with him. Is this just a matter of me not getting the rhythm down quite yet?

And secondly I was wondering how to change the direction I am facing while in the air. I saw it in capt. Jacks combo vid and I was wondering how he did it.

Thanks for the help
1.) the not being able to wavedash or shorthop with Sheik is just a matter of finding the timing. take some time to go into training mode and just wavedash and short hop around the level till you can do it without thinking about them. wavedashing with Sheik is a useful and is actually better than rolling around the level.

2.) to change direction in the air, tilt the stick really fast in the opposite direction and throw a needle. sort of like changing direction in the air with Link or Ylink's arrows. be careful not to pull out the chain because if the lag will get you killed if you do it off the edge.

thats the best i can think of. but that comes from a person that doesnt have too much experience. maybe someone better than me can tell me if i am right with these facts or just add more.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I find Sheik's wavedash one of the easier techniques to use. Me being who i am, that probably means that you need to hit the buttons later after the jump than sooner. I have shorthopping issues as well, so I'll wait for other people to advise you on that.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I will definetly try to work on just short hopping and wd in training mode. As for changing direction in mid air. Can you do this with any character with a projectile? Or is this just a Sheik/Link move? Again thanks guys for the advice keep it coming.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
as for short hopping... try short hopping with Fox first. he has the hardest short hop in the game. if you can do it with him you can do it with anyone. i will admit, short hops with Sheik are a bit hard, and it barely looks different from a regular full jump, but can make a huge difference.

and yes, the turning around in the air with projectiles works with any character that has projectiles. the usefulness differs between the characters, but it works.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I've been working on it and it's going to take awhile. I need to get myself a real GCN controller because this third party controller is cramping my style;)

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Exactly what kind of controller is it that you're using? Tell me color, size, anything really, that's different from the normal controller. You've piqued my interest.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Well I have two different types. My Madcatz controller is a little smaller and I like using it for zelda and metroid but I hits the buttons too hard when I play smash and it's not strong enough for that. The buttons stick easily if you press them too hard. So the controller that I am using right now is called a Titan. It's purple like the regular GC controller that comes with the GC. However the controller feels very big and clunky in the hands. The L and R buttons are too big and feel cheap and sticky when you try to press them down and the Z button is a sliver compared to the regular GC controllers. Overall it's like the GC controllers big, slow, ugly cousin.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
you should get a regular Gamecube controller. they fell and perform a lot better than any third party controller you can find. especially if your not comfortable with the one your using now.

Ares726

Smash Ace
When you turn around in the air, don't throw the needle, press R/L to charge it. Unless you want to throw it. Otherwise you have to wait for all the lag of actually throwing it.

Also, this works with every character. It's a technique called "Reverse Aerial B". With any character you can tap the opposite direction you're facing and do a B attack to turn around. It's not useful with everyone, but everyone can do it.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Well I have two different types. My Madcatz controller is a little smaller and I like using it for zelda and metroid but I hits the buttons too hard when I play smash and it's not strong enough for that. The buttons stick easily if you press them too hard. So the controller that I am using right now is called a Titan. It's purple like the regular GC controller that comes with the GC. However the controller feels very big and clunky in the hands. The L and R buttons are too big and feel cheap and sticky when you try to press them down and the Z button is a sliver compared to the regular GC controllers. Overall it's like the GC controllers big, slow, ugly cousin.
See, these are my two least favorite controllers ever. The madcatz wont last a year (the rubber from the joystick comes off) And the titan stops working completely in a few months. Wavebirds are my personal fav even if they dont rumble cuz it works and there arent cords to tangle up and destroy.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Yeah the madcatz is so weak. It feels nice in the hands but it's defiently not worth it. The Titan has to be my least favorite of all time. It feels more awkward than an Xbox controller in the hands. I am getting new controllers soon and I can't wait to have that boost in my game. Note to self...don't buy any third party bull****. Nintendo does everything better;)

Knux

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I have a Titan (I think), and it's pretty bad. Also, just all MadCatz stuff in general are extremely crappy.

NitH

Smash Cadet
Game cube sticks are the way to go controller wise...since we are on the subject ...n e one kno about moded controllers and Knux are u going to SMYM7...its in illinois? j/w

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Game cube sticks are the way to go controller wise...since we are on the subject ...n e one kno about moded controllers and Knux are u going to SMYM7...its in illinois? j/w
Absolutely no offense to knux whatsoever, but i know him, and i dont even think he knows what SMYM7 is, cuz i dont. could u give me a hint, lol :confused:

brickman

Smash Lord
SMYM is show me your moves. It is held in Champaign Illinois, hosted by AoB. It is this march 24.

It's gunna be a hella good time.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Champaign is like 2 hours away from any other big city in Illinois from what i can tell. I doubt any of my friends are obsessed enough to go there.

brickman

Smash Lord
Well it is going to be a really good time. I go to school at U of I so it is pretty convenient for me. You should consider it though, there is going to be a lot of good players there.

Top Bottom