• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help my marth please! (videos)

hilaxial

Smash Cadet

FrostByte

Smash Lord
You messed up a lot of spacing when you were facing sheik, which could have gotten you killed a lot of the time. Dair is predictable, laggy and easily shieldgrabbed when coming from above. When Peach started acting gay, you could've just thrown tilts around.

I saw some very nice tech chasing fsmashes though, and you did notice that your opponent liked to roll and dodge a lot. A nice trick against people like that is to shffl a well spaced fair. If they dodge, just wait and grab. If they roll behind you, turn around and grab. If you want to play defensively, use a full jumped (rising) fair. You have a lot of options after that.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Come to the UMBC tournament on Saturday. I'll add more on your vids tomorrow when I'm not half asleep. I saw the first two vids.

Edit: ok, now that I'm awake, here are my words of advise:

vs sheik:

Do more grabs to uthrow to utilt or jump to fair combos. Change it up occasionally with fthrow hoping he doesn't tech it, then fsmash.

When sheik recovers to the stage and you're on the ledge, either press forward on the control stick to land next to her and throw her back off the stage or up to bair OR hop from the ledge to the stage while performing a nair or even uair to throw sheik in the air, then do a utilt or whatever to combo back off the stage.

When sheik tilt attacks you, DI away so she can't follow up with anything more.

Use more dtilt to get sheik off the stage or give yourself space.

Your marth isn't too bad. I'm looking forward to playing it on Saturday :)

Husband

Smash Lord
no offense, but when you are that bad, there is just too much to comment on. I dont mean to be rude but I have 500 things to say just from the first stock.

1. Throw sheik up for the most part and try to combo her from there
2. DI away from her. If you hold into her, her F-tilt will hit you straight up so then she will just slap you off it. If you hold away, you will get hit far enough away where she wont be able to hit you with the slap.
3. If you are by the ledge, throw her off and edge hog
4. Always edge hog sheik. ALWAYS. If you try edge guarding her without an edge hog, you screwed up
5. Stay low to the ground, dont full jump as much
6. N-airs arent great against her, dont use them as much
7. You cant just walk up and smash hit, you will miss and then she will take advantage of you
8. Dont jump back on the stage, go for the ledge. Thats pretty much vs any character
9. When you are edge hogging, roll on as she is disappearing, because if you do it sooner or later then that, you wont get to her in time or it wont edge hog her.
10. When you want to throw a sheik or any character behind you, use the down throw, not the back throw.

I only watched your first stock and i saw all of that. Only in one stock so try to fix some of this stuff. And when I say "always" it doesnt mean always. Its just the best option and its what you shoudl get used to. So for now, ALWAYS edge hog and ALWAYS try to go for that ledge, not the stage when you are recovering.

I didnt edit this so sorry if i have typos

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
no offense, but when you are that bad, there is just too much to comment on. I dont mean to be rude but I have 500 things to say just from the first stock.

1. Throw sheik up for the most part and try to combo her from there
2. DI away from her. If you hold into her, her F-tilt will hit you straight up so then she will just slap you off it. If you hold away, you will get hit far enough away where she wont be able to hit you with the slap.
3. If you are by the ledge, throw her off and edge hog
4. Always edge hog sheik. ALWAYS. If you try edge guarding her without an edge hog, you screwed up
5. Stay low to the ground, dont full jump as much
6. N-airs arent great against her, dont use them as much
7. You cant just walk up and smash hit, you will miss and then she will take advantage of you
8. Dont jump back on the stage, go for the ledge. Thats pretty much vs any character
9. When you are edge hogging, roll on as she is disappearing, because if you do it sooner or later then that, you wont get to her in time or it wont edge hog her.
10. When you want to throw a sheik or any character behind you, use the down throw, not the back throw.

I only watched your first stock and i saw all of that. Only in one stock so try to fix some of this stuff. And when I say "always" it doesnt mean always. Its just the best option and its what you shoudl get used to. So for now, ALWAYS edge hog and ALWAYS try to go for that ledge, not the stage when you are recovering.

I didnt edit this so sorry if i have typos
Jesus Christ. You just managed to completely murder an active thread in one post.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Great advise from Husband. It's about what I said but in different words hahahaha. Then again, I have been taught by Husband so it makes sense.

Thanks for coming out to the UMBC tournament - it was cool meeting you. Hopefully I'll see you at the next one with an improved marth!

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much everything that husband said, except don't roll when Sheik does her up-B. Just press up on the stick at the explosion part of her up-B, and smash/grab at lower damage, nail her with an up-B at higher damage.

The dash attack to fsmash is cool and all, but it only works at lower percent, and at lower percent what you need to be doing is racking up the damage, not smashing her. After a succesful dash attack, nail her with a tilt and combo that *****.

Don't spotdodge vs Sheik. It's too slow. She'll just nail you with a more powerful attack. Shield. Wavedash. Shield-wavedash. Jump from shield. Or just run away, but do not spotdodge unless you predict a dash attack or something like that which actualy has lag.

The general rule when recovering with Marth is FALL. Then come back up later. Use your floaty side-B first, and then jump later. Don't do either until you're out of needle range. Those needles with kill your momentum, and thus your recovery.

DI AWAY FROM SHEIK WHEN YOU GET HIT

When you get grabed ALWAYS DI behind her. All Sheik can do then is hit you with a BAir, which is not that bad considering the alternatives.

Marth's neutral A is very situational. If you need a quick attack, the side-B is faster.

Marth's counter is VERY situational and should not be used as often as you like to, especialy against a Sheik. It's fundamentaly flawed; if you can predict the blow, then you may as well just dodge it and land a more punishing move than the rather modest counter.

When your opponent has just finished the up-B or has broken his shield or you predicted his dodge or tech or he missed with a really slow move and you've got a guarunteed hit, do NOT fsmash. When he's right next to you, the fsmash is not very powerful. I know it's tempting, but you need to get into the habit of using Marth's up-B when you've got a guarunteed hit in close quarters (provided your opponent has some damage on him, otherwise he wont go far enough and he'll just nail you as you recover from ur up-B). The fsmash in general should be used wisely. It's more for edgeguarding and finishing combos. You suffer from what I like to call "Marthitis", or the excessive spamming of the fsmash. You gotta break outa that.

Mostly it looks like you just need good old match experience... and against people who don't suck. Those guys you were fighting sucked. You need tougher opponents to get better. My friend plays a mean Sheik, and I was forced to go over my Marth with a fine-toothed comb before I could beat him. Sheik is Marth's best training buddy. Sheik will force you out of the habit of just dodging around and fsmashing, and you have to be a good deal better than your opponent to win.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
wow I just have to say, that's a lot of good advise Razgriz.

Hilaxial, today from 5:30pm till midnight will be a mini-smashfest in the UMBC game room. We'll have anywhere from 2-10 players there. You're lucky you live in Baltimore, cause we have the most smashers of any city, and some are pretty good. You're invited, so come on out if you can. Last time we had me, Bowsertree, Julien (IriesBlue), Chinesahh, Vist, and Plairnkk. That's darned good competition.

Marth is such an extensive character to learn. I have been playing this game for nearly 6 months now, trying to critique my marth to perfection, but it's far from perfect. It takes a lot of time, but as you could see from my last tournament, at least what I've done has paid off :)

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
Mostly it looks like you just need good old match experience... and against people who don't suck.
I'm working on that, recently met some ppl around the baltimore area that are pretty good at the last umbc smashfest. Or at least, they handed my *** to me repeatedly so i'm assuming they don't suck too much. hopefully it'll do me good, thanks for the detailed advice.

Hilaxial, today from 5:30pm till midnight will be a mini-smashfest in the UMBC game room.
UMBC, i'll see you there. haven't met some of the guys you were talking about, looking forward to seeing new faces. prolly won't be able to make it until later on, though. should i bring a cube/smash?

Rushbaby

Smash Cadet
Shffled' fairs are a must for any marth. you also spammed f-smash WWAAAAYYYYY to much if your friend's sheik was halfway competent you would have been dead much more quickly.
(learn to fair spam)

Top Bottom