• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me test! Link seem to have jab into spin attack on mid-high percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
So I have tested this against numerous opponents both bots and humans. At around 50-70 percent I believe Link has jab into numerous follow ups, depending on how close Link is the the opponent and which character it is.

At around these percents, Links first jab will pop the opponent up in the air, very slightly, forcing a landing and certain characters does not have quick enough moves to use during this time (however Luigi could use his N-air). I think this might be very useful.

I apologize if this is already being discussed/tested, I just got so happy when I tested this and it worked!

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
I've notice this too, though I played demo, I was able to jab mario and fsmash mario for a kill.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I've notice this too, though I played demo, I was able to jab mario and fsmash mario for a kill.
That's amazing! The jab > Spin attack follow up seem to work to as high percents as 140 and perhaps even higher. If this really is guaranteed it will without doubt be very useful, having a setup into a powerful move at high percents is insanely useful. Especially if this move is a jab, which is very fast.

I'm gonna try out some jab > smash attacks as well!

FSK

Smash Ace
It doesn't seem to be guaranteed, but rather DI dependant. It seems to work if the jab hits the opponent upwards and it won't work if the jab hits the opponent away.

EDIT: It might not be DI dependent either, might be dependant on where you hit with the sword. It will be pretty difficult to test without a human player to test with.

Last edited:

Jellybat

Smash Rookie
after testing around with lvl 9 the Ai moves 2 different ways when hit by the jab mid/high.

first is the one that does combo into spin attack
the second jab response on the other hand does not bounce the enemy but pushes em away.

so after figuring this i moved directly into a lvl 1 AI(in this case villager) and simply spammed the first jab after 50+% getting the same 2 responses. but i managed to pinpoint it a bit.

the pushback response is QUARANTEED to happen if the characters are inside each other aka the models are really close to each other. thus i do not believe that its caused by DI

however i am not sure if this moves does combo vs non-ai however. i can see the villager move very slightly sometimes before the spin attack hits. although i do not believe you can air dodge in that time considering the lvl 9 AI generally dodges on the first moment possible.

so CURRENT CONCLUSION:

the knockback jab is guaranteed to happen if you are colliding with the opponent
flinch/bounce jab is not a guaranteed jab+ combo. but there might be a sweetspot in the middle of the jab that makes it a true combo.
(everything tested with a lvl 9 and lvl 1 villager)

FINAL CONCLUSION:

the jab+ spin attack combo seems to be a combo specifically to lvl 9 AI. lvl 1 occasionally just jumps backwards to avoid the spin dash completely. if there is a possibility of a true combo here. its right at the point between the bounce jab and knockback jab, otherwise the lvl 1 AI might just jump backwards out of it.

i feel any further testing will require non AI help.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
after testing around with lvl 9 the Ai moves 2 different ways when hit by the jab mid/high.

first is the one that does combo into spin attack
the second jab response on the other hand does not bounce the enemy but pushes em away.

so after figuring this i moved directly into a lvl 1 AI(in this case villager) and simply spammed the first jab after 50+% getting the same 2 responses. but i managed to pinpoint it a bit.

the pushback response is QUARANTEED to happen if the characters are inside each other aka the models are really close to each other. thus i do not believe that its caused by DI

however i am not sure if this moves does combo vs non-ai however. i can see the villager move very slightly sometimes before the spin attack hits. although i do not believe you can air dodge in that time considering the lvl 9 AI generally dodges on the first moment possible.

so CURRENT CONCLUSION:

the knockback jab is guaranteed to happen if you are colliding with the opponent
flinch/bounce jab is not a guaranteed jab+ combo. but there might be a sweetspot in the middle of the jab that makes it a true combo.
(everything tested with a lvl 9 and lvl 1 villager)

FINAL CONCLUSION:

the jab+ spin attack combo seems to be a combo specifically to lvl 9 AI. lvl 1 occasionally just jumps backwards to avoid the spin dash completely. if there is a possibility of a true combo here. its right at the point between the bounce jab and knockback jab, otherwise the lvl 1 AI might just jump backwards out of it.

i feel any further testing will require non AI help.
Thanks for the input! I agree, this need to be tested on players. It could potentially be a follow up depending on how you hit with the first jab, but we'll be able to test this for real when the game comes out!

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Is there any special input that has to be done besides delaying for any jab->other attack combo? I always get the second jab when I delay it. It really just is a timing thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom