• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me make my lucas super special awesome

Levitas

the moon
So I've finally got some decent vids now, and I figured that I'd go ahead and post them here for critique. There were a total of 15 vids that we recorded. They're all of me vs Scotu, my roommate, doubles partner, devoted Ike main, and well known as a technical fox player in melee.

Basically, if you're getting the hang of lucas, or just entering the competitive world of smash, here's your chance to see application of Bsticking, lucas tactics, and how games are being played currently.

If you're a veteran to the smash scene, you'll notice flaws in my strategy. That's a good thing. Point them out. All of them. I want to get better, and I want to do it as quickly as possible, so the faster my flaws/patterns are spotted, the better.

Here they are:

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (ZSS) - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8138769442861647605&hl=en

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (Marth) - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2318597768050405339&hl=en

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (Ike) 1 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3392822721998878431&hl=en

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (Ike) 2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9161483574063777654&hl=en

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (Ike) 3 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-846105646642841034&hl=en

Levitas (Lucas) vs Scotu (CFalcon) - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5639953527906901073&hl=en This one's a bit of a joke...

Thanks in advance for your comments.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
I have one question; during the battle between you and scotu(zss) whenever you got close to the edge but still underneath it you seemed to levitate upwards. I just wanna know exactly if it is your air dodge. Also congrats on 3 stocking him (flawless fatality on that second kill)

I'll be sure to watch all of those vids to learn more levitas

Levitas

the moon
If you're talking about what happened at 0:37, that's a tether recovery. The quality of Google videos just isn't sufficient for you to get a good look at the snake as it's happening.

Thanks for the compliments!

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
no problem levitas, just wondering what happened there thats all. the other matches were good as well between lucas and ike. When you do the standing pkt ike dodged it very easily resulting in him either grabbing you or smashing you. I remember when you told me that the standing pkt or neutral b shouldn't be used as much because of the posibility of missing with it and the lag after. Pkt is an essential part of edgegaurding as you shown and I recently found out. Is there an alternative when Ike or someone else is above you? Is up tilt, uair, or up smash really the answer? You have more experience against good foes such as scotu and maybe know an alternative.

another question i have involves tether recovery. I learned that when you use tether recovery and get back on the ground, there is a one second invincibility frame that enables you to attack your opponent. If they are trying to edgegaurd you while on the ground, this is the best maneuver to repel them. Do you agree with this because in your fights with scotu he jumped into the air to fair or dair you? If he just waited on the ground for you to land, is the tether recovery the best way to get around it?

sorry for the long post but my questions leave a burning hole inside my soul that need to be answered. Thanks again for all the help levitas

GofG

Smash Champion
Levitas, I don't think there's anything we can do to help you, because, right now, you are better than all of us.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
you play well, i'm pretty impressed; i'd like to have a match with you sometime (lucas dittos ftw)

I don't think i'm very good, but if theres anything i'm good at, its criticizing :p

the nair to up tilt combos were good, but i think you spammed the up b too much. Yeah, it hit heaps, but eventually he's gonna wise up and air dodge them (leaving you very wide open).

B sticking was good, you can try using it when you're falling from the sky (in tumbling animation) to get distance from your opponent with no lag.

Also, d tilt combos can be good and safe to abuse most of the time.

SMS028

Smash Rookie
Also, d tilt combos can be good and safe to abuse most of the time.
Depends on who you are playing, I have notice they work on heavy characters well, but light not so much. Also the person you are playing, the d tilt combos work almost every time against weak players or CPUs. Against averge and good players, its a little harder. I usally get c-sticked hard when I try.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I feel like whenever you use PK Fire, you use it in predictable bursts. So while you wouldn't see the first one coming, which is nice, you would almost ALWAYS shoot a second and third immediately afterwards.

I feel in the second video more simple things- mostly punishment- could happen. That whole battle Marth left himself incredibly open for some good shield grabbing, and while Lucas' throws aren't heavy duty by any means, if it's a weakness to a player it's a weakness.

Basically, while you have a very nice Lucas and you have the character down, I think it's just a matter of adapting to the opponent- I feel if you were put against another opponent you would use the same exact strategy to take them down.

PS you're still better than me. These are just little things I noticed.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
What can i say new to Lucas and from the vids i have seem this seems to be one of the best. One question. B-sticking, essential for lucas play?

Levitas

the moon
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm of the opinion that bsticking as essential to Lucas's game as SHL was to Falcos's so yes, I am intentionally and predictably spamming it. The reason is this: by doing it over and over, I'm adding a little damage to them, but also forcing the opponent to make a difficult approach, which I can then take advantage of. What? The pikachu avoided one of my fires by rolling towards me? Ok, that means he's open for a grab/Fsmash/Dsmash.

I use Dtilts sometimes in a couple of my vids (maybe not the ones I linked to, there are 15 in all of me vs scotu), but if you spam more than 3 without being careful, you're likely to get punished.

I'm not about to make johns for scotu, but please keep in mind that his Ike is miles ahead of his next best charater.

Thanks for the comments everone! keep 'em coming. And don't be afraid to make suggestions, no matter who you are. You don't have to be really good to have really good ideas.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Wow great videos man. I am tired of the newb videos all over youtube and some in this actual forum. Keep it up levitas and give us more ! You vs toon link go ! :)

BTW i guess this is a good place to give suggestions to ppl learning lucas. I great come back from the edge is drop off the stage jump and PK fire. You'll land on the stage and the PKF into the opponent on the way up and the land cancels lag. Also if anyone else had toyed around with this come back. You can also drop down normal jump fair back and cast a PKF before you hit the ground. It's great, for one, you'll hit them with your Fair...and if they roll, you'll hit them with PKF...and if they shield you just pull back into a nuetral A/utilt etc etc. I love being on the edge with lucas, so ezy to punish foes.

Once again great vids.

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
Loving your Lucas! I was skeptical of how necessary the B-sticking would be to Lucas's game until I saw these videos. Definitely helps you in the Z-Samus fight and now I can see would help me in my Peach fight. Suggestions:

Are you pivot grabbing at all? Its hard to tell from the video quality. I started mixing in some pivot grabs to my game and it SO great and noticeable with Lucas's snake grab.

Keep up the good work!

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
You're definitely setting the standard for Lucas so far.

Against Marth you seemed to do a bit of pointless rolling and I noticed you have a tendency to do jabs or tilts when behind an opponent's shield when you could probably benefit even more from a grab.

Levitas

the moon
she hawk, I haven't been experimenting w/ pivot grabbing yet. That'll be a good next thing to try.

Jihnsius, I'm trying to cut down on the pointless rolling. However, grabs are kinda risky sometimes, and I think that might be what you're seeing as far as the jabs/tilts. As I get better, I think I'll get more of a feel for when it's safe to grab.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep it up!

GofG

Smash Champion
Grabs no longer become risky when you can pivot grab 100% of the time, Levi. I, of course, have not achieved this yet, but I'm getting there, and it does more than JCing your grabs in Melee did.

saberhof

Smash Master
pretty tight video vs captain falcon... getting comboed and all...

no advice from me really...pretty good so far.

Nebaku

Smash Rookie
Loved the vids. Music was okay too.

It seemed like you guys were playing slow, or maybe that was just the opponents you faced.

All I can say is that you should work on playing more opponents who know how to use projectiles.

Some of the Olimar fights get pretty nasty.

Everything else will get better in time.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I do gotta comment, most players I play with do far more grabbing which would be my only complaint to the videos. You are an excellent lucas and I can't wait to see you up against some players at your par.

Levitas

the moon
Lol, scotu's been kicking by butt for a long time, he's definately at my level. Don't let his ZSS or CFalcon fool you.

I'll see if next time I can get some vids against a projectile spammer.

Batteries

Smash Cadet
Not being an entirely skilled player myself, I don't know if my advice is sound or not, but from personal experience, I usually like to d-air if I'm coming down to my opponents, or jumping across the stage, and when I land, hit them with a b-smash. I'd recommend trying that once or twice and seeing how you like it. Also, I personally think you could use some more u-smashes. There were a couple times when you could have gotten a kill easily, but did not.

Still, excellent work, and I will learn from you.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
Batteries when you watch scotu playing, he was playing conservatively and if levitas ever missed one of his attacks that is accompanyed by a lag, then he will get punished. If you jump (not sh) and dair onto your opponent there can be a second lag if you do it too late. Do it as soon as you stop ascending and the third hit of your dair will hit only which has the biggest knockback.

btw levitas is awesome and we are all learning from him and his vids

SnowandDeath

Smash Cadet
me and you have very similar playing styles(though,you look like your better but meh)I'd like to have a match sometime soooooooo what your friend code

Batteries

Smash Cadet
MTFFFG: Its usually better to go for 3 of 4 hits than to just hit with the third. The fourth hit spikes them enough to leave them open for a perfect smash when you hit. I personally find it to be an effective strategy, especially against projectile spammers like toon link.

Oh, and Levitas PM me your friend code. I'd be interested in fighting sometime.

Levitas

the moon
Heh.
OP possibly knows YuGiOh: The Abridged Series.
You could be on to something...

SnowandDeath, I have this aversion to wifi battles, and this is a really hectic week. Maybe when things cool down, or during the summer, I'll start getting around to playing everyone. I'm sorry, but for now, the answer is no.

CaNuk

Smash Rookie
Oh I was just referring to death via lag, always frustrates me....didn't think I said you'd lose >.<

@ Levitas - you should definitely think about trying the SH >> air dodge to get behind your opponent. especially fighting someone slow like ike, you'll easily tear their **** up if they don't start anticipating it. And since you b-stick you can idk...reverse sh >> air dodge i suppose and be in even better position.

@ Scotu - pretty good Ike you got there, but same goes for you. He hits you every time with his PKT when all you need to do is tap the L-button, then go punish him for using it so much. Also don't be afraid of neutral b, it has uber priority.

But I am by no means pro, only play with friends, so I might have no clue what's going on.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
the dair had 4 hitboxes? I thought it was only 3 but maybe i am wrong. Well just take my last post and change the number 3 to 4. hope that helps.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
just a question:

when i play as lucas, occaisionally i'll land a great combo going something like;

nair(optional) to u-tilt to u air to b air (off edge) killing at low mid percents.

it works for me, but i have trouble pulling it off. Would anyone say it's useful?

GofG

Smash Champion
the dair had 4 hitboxes? I thought it was only 3 but maybe i am wrong. Well just take my last post and change the number 3 to 4. hope that helps.
Go to training mode and turn the speed way down. Lucas clearly kicks 4 times, with hexagons appearing on the 2nd and 4th kicks. The 4th kick is the spike, so long as he hits with his foot or the hexagon and not anywhere above his foot.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
I did not know this but after testing it in ssslooowwwmmmooo, i found out it is 4 kicks. Oh well i usually just hit my opponent with the end of the attack which must be the 4th kick.

Levitas

the moon
Well, my thanks to everyone who's commented so far. I'm still in the business of getting my lucas critiqued, however, so keep them coming, if possible.

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
You should throw some videos up playing against Peach. I'm interested to see exactly how you handle her, its a tough match for me personally. I'm not nearly as good at my b-sticked PKF as you though.

Levitas

the moon
SH PK Fire is almost unusable against Peach because she can just float above it. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not by people who play this weekend.

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
Yeah, PKF really gets gimped against her. Really it turns out that I only use it when I can suprise her or after a Fair. Going toe to toe with her has worked out ok, but a couple of her tilts are awesome, mainly her ftilt. PKT is also gimped against her as an edge guard move, she can usually kick or slap it, resulting in no damage and sometimes a punish for me.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
You are the first solid lucas that I have seen. you're on the right track with the b-sticking and your spacing is real goodwhen you do pk fire mix it up, like do a b stick PKF then a normal and so on.

Roger Racebannon

Smash Cadet
AWESOME thread, Levitas!

Here's a question: What controller config do you use?

EDIT (to clarify): You mentioned B-sticking, so I can assume you use that, but what about the rest of your controls?

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Levitas you're amazing! If you don't already, try to chain Fairs, and air dodge -> grab and see if they help you. Also d-tilts are pretty amazing especially if you can get multiple while their off guard and follow through.

hiddenF-smash --> PKF, PKT or Fairs (depending on %)
msgs r/
D-tilts-- F-tilt ->> F-smash---^
pretty\
awesomeU-tilts? --^?

Sorry if I am telling you things you already do or if they don't work out well for you.

Top Bottom