• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me get better!

Glitchy

Smash Cadet
Hi!

I recently decided to try out Falco to see if he suits me better and I want to know what I need to improve on in general and the Peach matchup.

Here is my set against MacD which is the only recording of my Falco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFBzJcGmOU

I had a lot of tech skill errors due to being super nervous :(

Last edited:

Pazukunous

Smash Rookie
Work on your lasers. Immediately I can see that you are SHLing over peach sometimes which is VERY high. Lasers are your best tool to keep things distanced and under control.

Lots of random SHFFLs (probably because of pressure, you're against MacD anyway).

Also recovering could be better (very high SideBs? idk if you were going for plat cancels), especially against Peach because she can constantly keep your away from the ledge if you recover above her.

For the matchup specifically, it's really really hard for falco. But if you want to use falco, platforms are your advantage and LOTS of lasers. Peach will always try to float above lasers and come with a fair on ur shield then downsmash or something. I'm not too knowledged on the Peach matchup so I can't give good tips for edgeguarding.

If all else fails LRAstart fox on peach because that matchup was too dumb for me.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Just a couple things. Your lasers were really high, if you could get those lower that would help a lot (I know nerves definitely play into it though).

Also you recovered with side-b when I feel going a little lower or cancelling it short would have really helped you.

Lastly, I'm not completely sure but shine stall offstage to reflect a cabbage that will surely kill you doesn't seem like a terrible idea. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Nice set though vs a top player.

FrisoDubach

Smash Rookie
Watching the set right now, and eventhough I'm not that good and new to Falco I'm noticing a few thing.

You need to lazer more, and you need to get the short hop laser fast fall timing down. I say you SHL a couple of times where you fast fall to early and thus cancel the laser entirely, or you dont fast fall and shoot over peach.

Also, when you SHL succesfully MacD already got to close, you were getting caught after your landing. If this happens, I try and get a hitbox out ASAP to interrupt his attack/approach. Jab is great for this. So if your enemy gets too close after or during a laser, jab.

I saw some high side-b too, I think you mostly did this because you respected his turnips, and thus couldn't up-b. If that is the case, shorten it.

For the rest I can't comment though because my tech skill is way below yours

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
One thing I saw was a LOT of SideBs. I had this problem recently, too, but the tip that I received was "You should try upBing a lot more cuz its more ambiguous as to what they're going to do. If you're going to sideB that much, try to shorten a lot more." Try taking that to heart. Also, don't be afraid to dair on shield. If you do a SHFFL late dair on shield, then you can ALWAYS get a shine in on their shield, which you can use to lead to shield pressure if you're confident enough. You should also try to be a lot more careful in your neutral game and you should definitely work on placing your lasers in way safer positions and make them way lower. If he's trying to float above the highest laser height, don't even try to laser him. Don't rush in blindly (FC aerials suck), but don't laser, either.

I don't have any super specific tips for this, but you definitely want to work on edgeguarding her, too. You had a lot of really predictable, dropped edgeguards.

Top Bottom