• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help learning Samus plz

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i've been playing samus for a while now, i know pretty much everything she can do (all of her techniques) but i cant really do all of them or at least in the heat of battle, and also use them effectively. i've gotten into this real junky funk lately, i'm not playing as well as i normally do and i miss all my buttons, idk if im moving too fast for the game, or to slow or what, but i cant get out of this slump.

i was wondering what advenced techniques with samus are the most valuable to know? which are used most often and so forth... basically i have the feel for samus for sure, now im ready to take her to the next level, i just dont know where to begin. help plzz?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HEzWiSmpM

Out of all the techniques described in the above vid (which you've hopefully already watched, but I'm linking it just in case), wavedashing, l-cancelling, missile cancelling, and your various shield options (upB, nair, shielddashing, etc) are probably the most important things for Samus. However, you should eventually want to be fluent in all of them (except maybe SWDing and shffmc).

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
i l-cancel pretty much naturally now and i missle cancel pretty often, but my wavedashing has never been consistant and i've never been to keen on the shield options, not sure how i'd used them effectively

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
thats the thing, i dont know what to do lol

actually thats a problem i ran into today, unfortunately no one i play with likes fox or falco, (one guy likes falco and he doesnt play him much anymore) so i dont get any practice on spaceys

but thats the very reason i posted this, i have no idea what to do in certain situations, i always end up playing on instict and that doesnt always work, so i'd like to find out what does work.

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
upb out of shield works wonders when its being pressured. You want to get fluent in your wd, and get as much mcing as possible in there. Make sure you space everything well...use your attacks with large hitboxes (ie ftilt, dsmash, bair, actually just about any aerial) but make sure to space yourself so that they cant punish u for it if possible (especially if you're attacking their shield) use your jab to break their rhythm, and cc>dsmash/dtilt works well at low percents

EDIT: Oh and you might want to look into dmj, its helpful for edgeguarding.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Pillaring on your shield = upB out of shield. Samus' upB is fast enough that they can not get the shine out in time. I think one of the better skills to learn with Samus after L-canceling, is missile canceling and wavedashing variations. Because Samus' roll is so horrible, being able to wavedash in and out of shield speeds up her game incredibly in my opinion. Especially since you can't really grab out of shield either. So with the roll and shieldgrab being not very good options for Samus, wavedashing out of shield is a very good tactic to learn.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
seriously, upb out of shield is my life line. its the perfect "get off my nuts" move. really fast attack, 6 frames i believe (not sure).

dont forget bomb recov and other bomb stuff. they are great for edgeguarding and mindgaming.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
alright so with pillaring, does falco's dair have priority over samus' up+b? cuz if so you could just go through his dair when he's coming down on you. if not, how can you get the up+b out quick enough? doesnt the shine come out in 4 frames? if samus' is 6 frames, how does it work so well?

would the l-cancelled dair have enough lag frames to make samus faster than falco in this occasion? because she has only 6 frames and falco has 4 frames + dair lag?

mach5

Smash Journeyman
well falco's dair has alot of priority, and samus up b will both attack each other. the upb has to be used right when the falco jumps or right after the dair hits your shield.

hugQ Cortex

Master
The up B out of shield ALWAYS out-prioritizes Falco's shine after he D-Airs your shield. Do this whenever the Falco tries to pillar you. It works like a charm. Same goes for Fox.

Here are some tips...

-You shouldn't worry about learning to Super Wave Dash. It's much more important to focus on the other basics aspects of Samus's game.

-Don't worry about SHFFLing. Samus isn't the kind of character you spam arials with. Just practice your L-cancels.

-Use your tilts and jabs. Out of the three tilts, forward tilt will be the one you will be using the most as a form of approach. These will consist of your ground game most of the time because they have little to no lag. Sure it seems simple and easy, but it's HIGHLY effective.

-Learn how to edge-guard. Up tilt, down-angled forward smash/forward tilt, edge hogging, standing homing missiles, charged/uncharged shots, running off to sex kick.

-Learn the advantages of the wavedash. You need it for spacing. Wavedash away from an attack and then punish your opponent with a forward smash. Wavedash to chase your opponent's roll/tech-roll and punish with them with down smash/forward smash/grab.

-Learn what you can do out of your shield: Up-B out of shield, wavedash out of shield to down smash/ftilt/up tilt, jump out of shield into sex kick.

-Common habits I see inexperienced Samus players do and that you should avoid: Spamming the dash attack, sex kick, and smashes [you will get shield-grabbed/punished a lot]. Spot-dodging too much. Trying to grab too much. Not shielding enough. Not sweet-spotting the ledge. Trying to shield-grab [her shield-grab is too slow, wavedash/up-b out of shield instead]. Basically, doing any of these things will get you heavily punished. So don't do them.

Samus is best played passively and receptively, but you have to bait your opponent and quickly capitalize on his mistake or a laggy move, then tech-chase/edge-guard. And keep in mind priority, spacing, and the lag time for your and your opponent's moves.

Hope that helped.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
thanks a lot this definately helps guys

EDIT: just started some of this stuff today. that upb out of the shield really is nice, got me out of some tight vidjocombos.. still didnt get me the match though.. darn lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
PRess Down B to lay a bomb and hold on direction. Right before you hit the ground flick the stick in the other direction.

You can also lay a bomb and right before you hit the ground flick the stick left then right or vice-versa.

The frames are: You need to be on the ground on frame 40, pressing one direction on frame 41, and the opposite direction on frame 42.

Takes practice.

Samus_Hats

Smash Apprentice
For me, the transition to bad Samus player to good Samus player focused mainly around not rolling anymore, and just using WDs. Once I made my Samus fluid, and could MC, and even SSMC, I began to vastly improve. There will always be new tricks and tactics to learn, though.

MCs are essential to any Samus, as well as being able to adapt. Be able to change up your style at any point, to either throw off your opponents game or simply adapt to a particular stage or character.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
a good way for beating alot of players is using weak skills that can deal damage and throw your opponent off like the ftilt or the jab, those moves can be lead into many combos. ftilt can be used on a fox or falco all across the entire map as of jabs can be lead into other attacks easily, ex) jab downsmash, jab fsmash, jab ftilt, and jab dtilt those deal roughly 6-15% and can be used continously to beat alot of players.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Hey guys!!! I am new here.......But i will become known on the Samus boards!!!

How does the Grapple Cancel work for tounament play??? I tryed it on my friend and its a great mindgame move that works most of the time! Do you agree???
Also, how important is the Extended Grapple to Samus's game???

REDRAGON

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
the extended grapple isnt very important at all. itd probably be best if you didnt even bother with it. unless you could get it consistantly on your first or second try. you could get it out if you have time i.e. when your opponent is hit far off the platform, attempt the extender. then you could use it and it wont hurt you if youre smart with it. just dont let it compel you to grab more often, since samus' grab isnt that great. just play smart with it. but thats hard though haha

grapple cancel to aerial is pretty good, especially if you space it right so the uair or sex kick goes right over the edge, then grab the ledge and ledge hop or l-cancel the aerial from the grapple cancel and follow up on the hit

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Yeah, i can get the extended grapple about 90% of the time on my first time....And when i have it, it helps! :p

Top Bottom