• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help I'm noob

RabidTgr

Smash Rookie
I'm a casual player but I'd still like to be able to pwn some. I've always been interested in playing Yoshi but his learning curve is a bit intimidating. Reading Bringer's guide and watching his vids really inspired me to pick up Yoshi especially after watching the way he moved and toughed out, even with the fast upper tier guys. So anyways, I've got some questions that I'm hoping you guys could help me with, cuz most of you are like pros and seem to know a lot about what you're doing with Yoshi. :)

How do I practice shffl? I don't think I've pulled one off correctly at all. Actually, I don't even know what it's supposed to look like if I did. And do you shffl right after a djc? Cuz that's some really fast action and I can barely keep up let alone attempt a shffl after one. Sometimes when I djc I going off the edge and falling to my doom. :( Is there a general rule about when to djc and when to short hop or is that just something you gain through experience?
I've also got some problems with egg throw. I mean, I'm pretty good at getting it to where I want to go, assuming I don't accidentally go into an egg roll and roll off the edge. -__-;

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Well, as for rules about when to DJC and when to SHFFL, I would say it's mostly experience. Just make sure you don't DJC an attack right into another one or you might be hit over the edge without your jump! Short hopping (not fastfalling) back air will leave you lagless upon touching the ground, which is great. It is actually rare to see a good Yoshi SHFFL, as it is normally better to DJC, since it is quicker, or approach from the ground if the situatuion calls for it.

For the egg throw thing, use moving targets in training mode to predict where they are going to be. That's the trick with eggs: you want to throw where your opponent is going to be, not where they are currently.

pdk

Smash Lord
for now use DJC when you know you've got someone off-guard, having that second jump to get back onstage is usually a lot more valuable than a couple frames of lag

technomancer

Smash Champion
SHFFL - Short Hop, Fast Fall, L-Cancel. Best advice is to check out Wak's advanced how to play video in the misc. vids section. L-cancelling is the most important aspect, just hit L or R just before you hit the ground with any air attack, and practice moving quickly after you do so, and that'll speed up your Yoshi considerably. Remember that you can still be shield-grabbed after you do it and it's not something to spam (timing is more important in smash than moving quickly), but when you have the opportunity for a free aerial hit you should always L-cancel it so you can follow up and get the best advantage that you can.

RabidTgr

Smash Rookie
Wow, thanks for the info guys. Wak's vid is pretty sweet. I understand the whole l-canceling concept, but how do i know if im doing it right for yoshi?

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Everything is faster. Its hard to see while training, but in a real match there is soooooooo much difference. You should know you are l-cancelling if you can continue your combo immediately. Try it with forward air against a 0% character and have a friend or sibling try to move afterward. If you can hit before they move, then you've l-cancelled. can't think of anything for the other aerials though.

RabidTgr

Smash Rookie
Is it supposed to feel like I'm playing a lot worse when I first try to incorporate advanced techniques? Man, it feels like I'm learning how to play all over again.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That's actually exactly how it's supposed to feel. Don't worry about it.

RabidTgr

Smash Rookie
I can't help but notice that Bringer only mentions SHFFL once in his whole guide and that's to state that DJC > SHFFL. Is SHFFL really that useless to a Yoshi? He also mentions that Wavedash isn't that important while other Yoshi players put a huge emphasis on it. Maybe it's all due to personal preference? =S

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I can't help but notice that Bringer only mentions SHFFL once in his whole guide and that's to state that DJC > SHFFL. Is SHFFL really that useless to a Yoshi? He also mentions that Wavedash isn't that important while other Yoshi players put a huge emphasis on it. Maybe it's all due to personal preference? =S
SHFFL is fairly useless for a Yoshi. Use sparingly (but intelligently). It can help sometimes but more often than not DJC>>>>SHFFL.

Please note that the guide was written a few years ago. If you look at Bringer's recent videos, you will find that he platform dashes all over the freaking place. Wavedashing is mostly helpful at later stages of play, and should be incorporated gradually. It is good, however, and if you want to try and learn to put it in your game right away, be my guest.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavedashing sucks if you're not platform dashing. There's always a better option imo.

That is, unless you can jump out of shield. Then wavedashing is super awesomely cool.

Also: shffling isn't that useful with Yoshi. None of his moves really lead him into a good shffl game, with b-air and f-air being the most useful in that regard. All characters with good shffl games have high priority n-air or b-airs, which Yoshi doesn't have. Its not useless, but its really not as important as some other things Yoshi can do.

Hal-Yur-Azn-Pal

Smash Apprentice
If you want to be able to "pwn some" then dont be a casual player, because once you start practicing some, your going to have to practice tons more to get good at what you're trying to do and eventually incorporate it into your game. There's no casualness to that, it's comes down to hard practice and lots of it. Take SHFFL'ing for example, there isnt really a half SHFFL it's either you can do it or you cant.

Top Bottom