• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help- Has anyone here ever painted a Gamecube controller?

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
Hey guys, I recently came up with the idea of making a Gamecube controller based on the clown car that Bowser Jr. uses in Smash 4, but I've never painted a controller before. The design isn't complicated, I really only have to provide a new coat of white on the top half of my controller, a coat of green on the bottom half, and hand-paint the face of the clown car by the start button.

Has anyone ever taken on a project like this? If so, do you have any advice? What kind of paint should I use? Will it affect the performance of the controller at all?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I think you should start with a white controller and then spray-paint the bottom green. If you want to, paint on, where the Nintendo symbol should be, Bowser Jr.'s bib design, unless you are like me and would prefer the nintendo symol stay. Make the Curve where the Analog stick goes look like the eye of the clown car, and the same goes for where the A button will be.And to finish, if you want, spray paint the buttons red, for a more Bowser Jr. feel. Honestly, I like buttons in their original color, but it does help the appearence of this design.
Actually, it wont hinder your controller at all, if you gloss it when your done. I want to make a custom controller based off the NES controller design, but I don't have any actual experience.

Last edited:

SilverThePony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
I think you should start with a white controller and then spray-paint the bottom green. If you want to, paint on, where the Nintendo symbol should be, Bowser Jr.'s bib design, unless you are like me and would prefer the nintendo symol stay. Make the Curve where the Analog stick goes look like the eye of the clown car, and the same goes for where the A button will be.And to finish, if you want, spray paint the buttons red, for a more Bowser Jr. feel. Honestly, I like buttons in their original color, but it does help the appearence of this design.
Actually, it wont hinder your controller at all, if you gloss it when your done. I want to make a custom controller based off the NES controller design, but I don't have any actual experience.
I don't have any experience either, so I'm completely clueless on what to use xD

I want to go with just the clown car on the face, over the Nintendo logo (which is why I would coat the top half) instead of the teeth because I've already got a bandanna with a design on it. I'm planning to take both to Smash events so I have the main two elements of his Smash 4 appearance accounted for.

Also, is spray paint fine? And where can I find the right gloss?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
spray paint is probably the best. You could find gloss at an art store or somewhere like amazon.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I'd look into a decent quality airbrush and test it out on a 3rd party controller first.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hey guys, I recently came up with the idea of making a Gamecube controller based on the clown car that Bowser Jr. uses in Smash 4, but I've never painted a controller before. The design isn't complicated, I really only have to provide a new coat of white on the top half of my controller, a coat of green on the bottom half, and hand-paint the face of the clown car by the start button.

Has anyone ever taken on a project like this? If so, do you have any advice? What kind of paint should I use? Will it affect the performance of the controller at all?
There's a guide for just that, right here on smashboards! I can't link it at the moment, try googling it tho.

Top Bottom