• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help guys...I need it desperatly.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I got this game the day it came out, and have played it ever since. Thats 5-6 years right there. Recently, tho, I can't really play it anymore, any match with any character on any stage feels boring and repetitive. Whenever my friends hang out, most of the night goes to SSBM, and now I hate the game and try not to include myself for that reason.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm not too sure what to do, because my friends love it and always want me to play but I can't get myself too.

Suggestions / Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gugs

pdk

Smash Lord
toss some other fighters in the lineup (just emulate some or whatever if you're cheap), pretty simple

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
SSBM is a fun game to play with friends, if you've been playing seriously, lighten up and make it a bit more fun. Try new modes or randomly dumb things, if that doesn't work, try a new character(you say it's still boring, but I doubt you've tried all 25). I like doing Super Sudden Death, 20 stock, Hyrule Temple...
Just try something new/fun to make it more interesting, or lighten up. If you don't nkow advanced stuff you could keep yourself busy with practicing it.

You can't always force yourself to like it, but you can always tell them "no SSBM" and do something else. Don't be afraid to say what you think. Just cause they like it, you own it, it's your call. So if all else fails, just go do something else. Not that big of a problem, really. Find something else to do, there's tons of stuff, videogame or not.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Are all your friends a lot better or a lot worse than you at the game? If they are, then it makes perfect sense to get sick of the game. I get bored playing against some of the kids at my school because they're terrible at the game. Against people like that, play with items, random characters, and random stages to make it more interesting. I always try to enforce random characters (for both me and them) against people who are either terrible or want free for alls anyway.

Also, do your friends only play one character each? That could explain it too, because playing against one character all the time can get tiring... Or if both you and they are incredibly defensive players, and the matches are taking 8+ minutes even on Yoshi's Story, some people get bored with those matches.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
lol thanks guys...they all own the game lol.

I guess my main probelm is when I play the game itself. I have played as all 25 guys multiple times, but I hate playing as high/top tier guys because its not fun, and I want to play for fun. That leaves me with middle/low tier. My friend, always always plays high tier and usually never changes characters, which makes it hard to have fun, and whenever I lose and say "I don't wanna play more cause I'm not having fun," he always says "Cry more, you just can't beat me."

It's frustrating, especially whne they complain I don't wanna play or show up cause all they do is play. Not too mention the game is horribly imabalanced, and low tier almost never wins (thats why they are low lol), so I was hoping there was a cure for my condition lol.

And about other games, I sold my soul to VS System, so I can always fall back on that lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do you use advanced techniques? Because if you don't, I agree, SSBM can be very limited in the fun to be had from it.

And your post makes Zelda, Bowser, and Roy players everywhere sad : (

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I do and don't, it's on and off, but I have more fun when I'm not, and I somehow do better without, I just dodge alot, but I don't wavedash or whatever, too much effort.

Any why those characters specifically :p?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Playing for fun doesn't necessarily mean playing low tiers. Some people have fun playing their high tiers. You can have fun playing against high tier with low tier. I do.. :) Learn the matchups. The best way to do that is to practice against your friends. And if your friends are equal to or better than you, and you're playing low tier vs. high tier (especially in a particularly unbalanced matchup, like Sheik vs. most low tiers), be prepared to lose a lot of matches. Of course, practicing against your friends will give them practice vs. your characters too, which will help in crew battles later on.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dodge a lot? Well, I can guess that Yoshi, Samus, and Mr. Game & Watch are three characters that you tend to not do too well with...

And wavedashing is only one of many things to do. Hardly the most fun one.

Metà

Smash Master
I found that the game got less boring when I learned the advanced techs. I really can't see myself becoming bored of the game soon, because I'm still learning new techniques, and I'm still improving. I've played the game since it came out, but I don't think I'd still be playing it now if I hadn't started competing.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Maybe its cause I dont play multiplayer games as much as I do 1 Player games...

I'm a Zelda / Mario / Metroid addict.

And another reason I'm bored with it, its cause usually thats what we play 70% of the time. I'm not sure why I dislike it now, I just can't invision myself playing it. That's why I'm here, I don't want to not play it, it gives me a reason to be around my friends who spam it, but it's becoming so repetitive and old.

Also, I can play with high tiers, but really, I hate being cheap. My friend, is like Shiek 95% of the time. Very annoying.

PS: I (used to) play religiously with G&W and Yoshi lol.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Well, get used to playing against "cheap" players. And if you're going to play GW or Yoshi, learn how to wavedash. Because once you implement wavedash in your game, you'll do that instead of shielding or dodging all the time, as it's much more effective with them. Especially their shields, which are both terrible (for different reasons), and probably what makes them low tier...

Train against your friend's Sheik. Your training will come across in tournaments, when you'll play against other Sheiks. But your friend should pick up a secondary. I don't see how someone can only play one character in friendlies without getting bored.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again guys for the comments.

He does have a seconday, he has a few lol. Fox and Marth. Yay more high tier.

I really don't ever plan to play in tournaments, as much of the time I want to spend in any tournement will automatically be dedicated to my TCG.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've beaten Falco players with Roy. And the Midwest is like, full of Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers players. Plus, I've still yet to get a certain person's Zelda to under two stock.

Tiers really don't matter unless both players are completely equal, and even then there are counter matchups that are a little backwards in the tierlist.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think you'd have more fun if you worked on it and improved in some technical aspects. Nothing is cooler than having a friend comment on some cool move or combination you've been working on.

I remember the first time I hit my friend's Sheik with Ken Combo with Marth. Since that day, everyone started to play at least SOME Marth. lol There's still a LOT to work on alone and I think it's fun. Wavedashing with Luigi is fun and he's not top tier. Ken Comboing with Marth is fun. Drillshine combo with Fox is fun. Doing some goof combo with Captain Falcon and hitting the taunt is FUN!

There's just an infinite amount of cool and unusual things to do with the game. It's definitely one of the DEEPEST games I've ever played with tons of new tricks to learn.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yeah i have to agree.. Also, go to a tournament and watch and play against someone amazing. Players are generally more impressive if you see them in real life as opposed to over the internet. I've known people who changed mains or picked up new characters because they watched and/or played against someone in a tournament who was amazing with that character. You don't have to play high tiers. Low tiers also have fun random things you can do with them. GW is a fun character. 9 hammer kills are fun to get, plus he has other fun combos that don't involve the hammer. I don't play Yoshi, and I've only played against a handful of them that were at least decent, but I'm pretty sure there's something fun Yoshi can do to someone (any Yoshi player care to give their thoughts?)

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Why do you hate playing high tier? Its just a tier list it means nothing. tier list = john. Just play what you feel like at the time/most comfortable you'll have some fun. You sound laot like a friend I have who recently stopped enjoying playing smash because apparently I "break his spirit". Even tho he wins some and most of the matches are in his favor =p.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I don't like playing high tier because I play for fun, not to win. It just seems my motivations for having fun have left me, so I retired the game, but my friends still play it, and I dont want to exclude myself.

I guess what I'm really asking is, how could I revitalize my spirit?

xDeniedx

Smash Rookie
Guglio's friend here (The Shiek, Marth, Fox guy) yeah, i'm competative and that bugs him, but I enjoy playing for fun, I guess the fact we always play final dest with like 5 stock and no items is what bores him from the game. I don't know, we should mix it up more, i just never say anything cause I enjoy how we play.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't like playing high tier because I play for fun, not to win. It just seems my motivations for having fun have left me, so I retired the game, but my friends still play it, and I dont want to exclude myself.

I guess what I'm really asking is, how could I revitalize my spirit?
What's this stupid idea that "high tier" and "fun" are two separate things that can't ever go together? It's really been bothering me every time someone says that.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I never said one can't have fun while playing high tier, I'm saying I don't have fun playing high tier. It's not a hard concept to understand. I never talked about the demographic I'm talking about me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't like playing high tier because I play for fun, not to win.
Really? You didn't seem to be talking just for yourself there, but okay. Maybe you missed a phrase or two explaining that.

Just don't make johns about losing just because you're a lower tier. Any characters above Bowser have a decent level of potential, and any characters above Pikachu aren't incredibly difficult to learn. Winning doesn't always have to be the objective. Finding and pulling off ridiculous combos often make a pretty memorable highlight of a match, win or lose.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
First, you've moved into a different area of conversation but ok.

I never said you can't be high tier and not have fun, I just don't have fun whne I'm high tier because I don't aim to win. They wouldn't be called high tiers if they didn't win alot. This is basically why I don't like the imbalances this game creates, where high tiers characters always beat low tiers if players have an equal skill level.

But that's really not even a main point of what I'm saying. I'm saying my reasons for playing have left me and I'm hoping someone can give me a reason for me to keep playing. I don't like playing characters who generally win more, and I don't play cause I lose alot, I just can't justify playing.

If you hate people saying high tier and fun don't mix then I hate when people take my arguement out of context.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, let's take that and try this:

PLAY MIDDLE TIER.

There's a pretty big selection of characters in there, they don't generally win more, and they don't lose too much either.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Hm. I was under the assumption G&W, Yoshi, Pikachu and Ness were already Middle Tier.

Another reason I think it is, caus elike my friend Denx (lol) said, he plays competitively, while I can't possibly play competitively, I play casual / friendly. All my competitiveness goes into my TCG. Do you suggest I only play people who play on the same level of competitveness?

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
you play for fun and not to win?... I only have fun when I win

oh, and bob-bombs are always fun :)

tshahi10

Smash Ace
DO whatever. we really dont care if you play the game or not. i hate occasional threads that come up saying this.

xDeniedx

Smash Rookie
DO whatever. we really dont care if you play the game or not. i hate occasional threads that come up saying this.
apparently some people care, I care for one because I played with him regularily for two years and now suddenly he doesn't want to, some other people here care, otherwise they wouldn't be offering their advice/opinions on it, so technically sir, you don't care.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
It sounds like you're not playing to win, so no wonder you're not having fun. You're gonna have to change your perspective, or the game is prolly just gonna stay stale.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Play to win. You can win with low tiers. I do, lots of other people do.. Find something "cheap" you can do to them, even if all your character has is a powerful, high priority move or good edgeguarding moves. Tell me, are you so stuck on being cheap that you won't hang from the ledge so that they don't get on the stage? Tier list only really matters when you're about as good as Ken or PC Chris, and you're looking to win a major tournament. You will not get that good, especially not without a new attitude.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
eh well this thread has evolved in a mockery. I suppose that I'm doomed from the get go, I should just quit now and play VS more. Thanks for making my decision easier guys.

Never to play SSBM again,
Gugs

EDIT: The above statement was mainly I forget a "not" in there, to read "I don't not play because I lose alot." Meaning, that even if I lose, it doesn't bug me, I just don't play high tier characters. Sorry for the mix up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm sorry you feel that way, but if you really don't want to play with characters that you can win with, and don't have fun when you lose, then...?

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Well I think it's been clearly stated that I can't play to have fun I can only play to win. I can't do both at the same time, so I dedicate my free time to enjoying myself. Apparently, there's a general consensus that if you don't play to win then you're screwed anyways. What am I supposed to do?

Again, people have misinterpreted me. I don't care if I lose, I've been losing for 2 years now and I don't know why I recently stopped enjoying myself.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Well I think it's been clearly stated that I can't play to have fun I can only play to win. I can't do both at the same time, so I dedicate my free time to enjoying myself. Apparently, there's a general consensus that if you don't play to win then you're screwed anyways. What am I supposed to do?

Again, people have misinterpreted me. I don't care if I lose, I've been losing for 2 years now and I don't know why I recently stopped enjoying myself.
For me it's not about winning or losing. It's about improving with whoever you enjoy to play. If you don't like high tier that's fine. Just be ready to accept the fact that it'll be a lil more rare to win, that's all.

If you really aren't having fun playing then you're better off finding something else or just waiting for Brawl.

Top Bottom