• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Getting Online at College

cleatongangstr

Smash Rookie
I just arrived at the University of Kentucky and tried hooking my nintendo wii online. However, i was unable to. I believe that my problem lies within the wireless internet conection at UK. When ever i log onto my browser i have to sign in using my student ID and password. I believe that to connect with my wii i will have to sign in wth this account info as well. If anyone can help me with changing settings on my wii or possibly give me some other options i would be very appreciative. One thing i have tried is logging in on my computer then bridging a connection to a wireless router but i have nt had success with this method either. Advice on how to bridge the internet connection from my laptop to a wireless router would also be appreciated.

P.S. I am currently using windows vista so it would be helpful if any advice be given accordingly.

blowuptheking

Smash Cadet
If UK is anything like where I go to college, there's probably a firewall/proxy in place. Find the name/address of the proxy (it may be something like proxy1) and the port number (probably 8080) and put it in the advanced options for the connection you're going to use. That should fix the problem.

Just curious, but are you required to log onto your student account whenever you use the web browser or only when you use the college website (which might be your homepage)? If you have to sign in to use the web browser and not just the college website, then also add that username and password to the connection settings.

cleatongangstr

Smash Rookie
THanks for all the help blowupking but i dont know how to find out the name of of the proxy or the port nuber. If you could help me find this i would appreciate it greatly. :) Oh and btw i have to sign on with my account to use the internet not just on UK's website.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Solution

I have the same issue.
Solution: Get a router, plug it into the LAN in your room (should be one there...) and connect to that with your Wii.
Solution alternate: Leech off someone else's router ;D

cleatongangstr

Smash Rookie
Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys but i finally just broke down and bought the 25 dollar lan connector and hooked that up in my room. :(

Top Bottom