• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help for striving DDD player

Pkmarthboy

Smash Rookie
after seeing DDD's position on the the tierl ist and seeeing him in action on youtube I became inspired to use DDD. I am a total DDD noob but my first time picking him I won. after that i always end up in sudden death where after my friends defeat he stalls tell the bombs drop. I never can find the perfect time to use his foward smash the waddle dee's seem useless to me since there always dying. i don't use the swallow move alot. I don't chain grab but i kinda know how just need pratice but want to see how he does without it. from what i've discovered is dodgeing , sheilding , and timing are a big part of his game. i have sometimes gone in the zone with DDD but it was some what quickly ended. what should I improve on

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
You're good to pick up on the shielding, etc., because it is indeed a big part of his game.

At your relatively inexperienced point (I don't say that negatively), I would say that you need to just play with Dedede, and get better with him. If you try to use all of the super-fancy nonsense right off the bat, you'll have less fun with Smash overall.

Once you get better, do the stuff you listed that you aren't doing, basically. :D

Have fun with him!

Drecker

Smash Ace
If you're playing him because he's high tier, don't. Tier lists don't matter.

As for his Fmash, the only real "good" time to use it is when they won't see it coming (IE chaingrab them a few times, then Fsmash).

Waddle Dee's are an incredible spacing tool, and knowing how to use Doo's to give a positional advantage scares the hell out of your opponent.

Best time to use Swallow is when you're above them, really.

Basically, grab a lot and space with Waddles and Ftilts, you'll probably win.

Oblivinati

Smash Rookie
I'd suggest you look at CO18's guide, it's stickied on this board and it will help you get a grasp on the basics.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
You're good to pick up on the shielding, etc., because it is indeed a big part of his game.
lol DDD is very slow, and his attacks have a lot of lag. If you can learn to get a habbit of sheilding right after landing from an arial, then you will not take nearly as much hits. also, his b-air is faster than his f-air, so use it when you are low to the ground.

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
lol DDD is very slow, and his attacks have a lot of lag.
No he isn't. His running and aerial speed are slow, and neither are significant enough to become a disadvantage. His only laggy attacks are his Fsmash, jab and swallow.

D3 being slow is a common myth IMO.

OP: If you're going to approach, short hop waddle dees and poke with ftilt. You can camp and space to force an approach, then shieldgrab them, chaingrab them to the edge and edgeguard. You can drag characters like bowser and DK past their recovery range with a walkoff FF Dair, or WOP them with Bair then turn around and Fair them as needed.

As for close range, SH Dairs into the opponent work, Bair, poking with forward and down tilts, Fsmash behing an attacking waddle doo for the kill ( :p ) and uh.. Chaingrabs.

Also, if your learning how to CG with D3, Shieldgrabs are better than dashgrabs (dashgrabs can be escaped.) Practice in training mode with no opponent, and if you don't see you shield come up or D3 roll when missing a grab, your doing it right.

I feel like there are mistakes in this. This is just the basics though.

Top Bottom