• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help finding a Main?

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
I'm having a hard time settling down with a main. i have fun with most of the roster and i have a few i go back to Captain Falcon, Robin, Greeninja, Etc. but its still a pretty wide nest. I need to kick eggs out of the nest. I know you guys can't really tell me who i should play but id love friend codes so i can practice with people who can talk to me after the match help me get better.

So i guess TL;DR: Friend codes? mine is 4442-0266-7236 love to see you in smash!

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm having a hard time settling down with a main. i have fun with most of the roster and i have a few i go back to Captain Falcon, Robin, Greeninja, Etc. but its still a pretty wide nest. I need to kick eggs out of the nest. I know you guys can't really tell me who i should play but id love friend codes so i can practice with people who can talk to me after the match help me get better.

So i guess TL;DR: Friend codes? mine is 4442-0266-7236 love to see you in smash!
Well I'm rather bias towards Robin since he's one of my mains but honestly, my good friend @Wintropy once told me, "You don't pick your main, your main picks you." And she's right. Picking mains is not something you actively search for and eventually you find it. You allow your main to naturally find you through perhaps seeing another player using said character incredibly effectively or perhaps by going through all the characters in Classic Mode only to discover your main. It's best just to let your main pick you instead of vice versa. You may even be surprised at who your main becomes because of that. Just some friendly piece of advice. You may take it or leave it at you leisure of course.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Well I'm rather bias towards Robin since he's one of my mains but honestly, my good friend @Wintropy once told me, "You don't pick your main, your main picks you." And she's right. Picking mains is not something you actively search for and eventually you find it. You allow your main to naturally find you through perhaps seeing another player using said character incredibly effectively or perhaps by going through all the characters in Classic Mode only to discover your main. It's best just to let your main pick you instead of vice versa. You may even be surprised at who your main becomes because of that. Just some friendly piece of advice. You may take it or leave it at you leisure of course.
I like the piece of advice and will follow it, did your main get chosen through Seeing someone play an incredible game with Robin out of curiousity?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I like the piece of advice and will follow it, did your main get chosen through Seeing someone play an incredible game with Robin out of curiousity?
Well to be perfectly honest, no. My three mains are Robin, Lucina and Shulk and that's mainly because these three characters come from two of my favourite games of all time being Fire Emblem: Awakening and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively. I absolutely LOVE these three characters and seeing them in Smash Bros. as playable characters, I instantly knew they would become my mains no matter what, regardless of how good they were competitively or not. I guess in some ways, you can say they choose me long before they were even announced haha. And honestly, all three characters are SO much fun to play in Smash Bros. 3DS! I love Robin's spacing game and air smashes, Lucina's agility and gracefulness, and Shulk's versatile Monodo Arts that change his properties as well as the range of his sword.

Anyways, good luck in letting your main find you. Hopefully that will occur sooner rather than later but if it does, don't worry about it. ^_^

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Well to be perfectly honest, no. My three mains are Robin, Lucina and Shulk and that's mainly because these three characters come from two of my favourite games of all time being Fire Emblem: Awakening and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively. I absolutely LOVE these three characters and seeing them in Smash Bros. as playable characters, I instantly knew they would become my mains no matter what, regardless of how good they were competitively or not. I guess in some ways, you can say they choose me long before they were even announced haha. And honestly, all three characters are SO much fun to play in Smash Bros. 3DS! I love Robin's spacing game and air smashes, Lucina's agility and gracefulness, and Shulk's versatile Monodo Arts that change his properties as well as the range of his sword.

Anyways, good luck in letting your main find you. Hopefully that will occur sooner rather than later but if it does, don't worry about it. ^_^

Ah i see i do like Shulk he is pretty fun and that's a good way to do it, i mained Bowser way back in the day against my siblings in melee and brawl all because i loved him in Mario

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I recommend picking a character you like and preferably from a game you like, to have as your main. Maybe it is only me, but in order to main a character, I need to have an emotional attachment to them and/or the series where they come from. On top of that, play style matters a lot, so that trims down a lot the valid options for characters to have as mains. That said, I am yet to pick a main for Smash 4, but it is all pointing to Bowser Jr, I think.

starbolt89

Smash Cadet
NNID
starbolt89
3DS FC
0860-4559-7031
i like using Robin and Lucina robin's upper spacial saves me alot but his attack's are kinda slow if i miss then am dead and as for lucina can't really do combo's unless im not using her the right way

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
I recommend picking a character you like and preferably from a game you like, to have as your main. Maybe it is only me, but in order to main a character, I need to have an emotional attachment to them and/or the series where they come from. On top of that, play style matters a lot, so that trims down a lot the valid options for characters to have as mains. That said, I am yet to pick a main for Smash 4, but it is all pointing to Bowser Jr, I think.
See you already have one in mind! Thats good! I know what you mean with the Jr. he is fun as heck and all the costumes just make it even better! I do know that CF is going to end up probably as a secondary main just because he is Fun as all Well heck! (Not sure how certain words are taken on this forum. I'm sure its in the ToS i totally 100% read 8'D lol) but he is more of my "Screw it im going to have fun dang it" more then a "Im going to be pro as all heck and you are going to have to taste the dust i leave you in" XD But anywhome Growing up gaming i have an attachment to most of the characters (Honestly the only ones i didnt know before this game are Robin/Lucina/Paulenta/Dark Pit) Probably part of the reason I am having a hard time picking!

Edit: Added your FC! mine is up in the OP

Last edited:

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236

I added your FC btws hope to see you in smash!

Edit: mine is in the OP

Last edited:

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Cool! I shall add you as soon as I can. Looking forward to SETTLING IT IN SMASH with you! ^_^
Indeed! I'm happy to just have someone i can chat with after i get Smashed to the dirt XD Thats the only problem i have with For Glory! is i can learn about how to have an air game off stage and such but i cant be told "hey you did pretty well but when you falcon punched you should have Falcon kicked!" lol simple things like that you know.

i like using Robin and Lucina robin's upper spacial saves me alot but his attack's are kinda slow if i miss then am dead and as for lucina can't really do combo's unless im not using her the right way
Hey I'm going to add your FC hope to see you in smash! mines in the op and now under my name that's kinda neat 8D

Last edited by a moderator:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Indeed! I'm happy to just have someone i can chat with after i get Smashed to the dirt XD Thats the only problem i have with For Glory! is i can learn about how to have an air game off stage and such but i cant be told "hey you did pretty well but when you falcon punched you should have Falcon kicked!" lol simple things like that you know.
And I'm happy I can help, although I wouldn't say I'm super great at the game or really good with the technical stuff, I can still provide pointers, thoughts and general things I see when we play together. Hopefully, by having matches with each other, we can both improve. ^_^ But I shall do all I can to help you improve your game.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
And I'm happy I can help, although I wouldn't say I'm super great at the game or really good with the technical stuff, I can still provide pointers, thoughts and general things I see when we play together. Hopefully, by having matches with each other, we can both improve. ^_^ But I shall do all I can to help you improve your game.
Just having someone to play with is awesome! My wife has the game but she really has fallen for Smash run so we tend to play that together which is fun and refreshing in its own regards but id love an intense friendly game of smash and I'm not the best either but we cant get better without playing, am i right :)?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Just having someone to play with is awesome! My wife has the game but she really has fallen for Smash run so we tend to play that together which is fun and refreshing in its own regards but id love an intense friendly game of smash and I'm not the best either but we cant get better without playing, am i right :)?
You are correct, sir! Fighting CPU's alone won't hone or skills and play styles.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I'm juggling at least a dozen characters, but as time goes on you'll know simply by how easy the wins are becoming with who.

If anything, it's good news that it's so hard to choose, this game is a dream come true :colorful:

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
"Kick eggs out of the nest."

How about you main :4yoshi:

Nah but honestly, why not just main your favourite Nintendo character or character you feel you're best with & have the most potential with.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
See you already have one in mind! Thats good! I know what you mean with the Jr. he is fun as heck and all the costumes just make it even better! I do know that CF is going to end up probably as a secondary main just because he is Fun as all Well heck! (Not sure how certain words are taken on this forum. I'm sure its in the ToS i totally 100% read 8'D lol) but he is more of my "Screw it im going to have fun dang it" more then a "Im going to be pro as all heck and you are going to have to taste the dust i leave you in" XD But anywhome Growing up gaming i have an attachment to most of the characters (Honestly the only ones i didnt know before this game are Robin/Lucina/Paulenta/Dark Pit) Probably part of the reason I am having a hard time picking!

Edit: Added your FC! mine is up in the OP
Yup, I have one character in mind, but there are plenty of other which I would like to git gud with, as well, so I am still not sure about who will end up being my main(s). I am on the same boat as you, I grew up with games, so 90% of the cast mean something to me, in a way or another. The ones who don't? They are still cool characters in their own ways, specially Robin who looks hella cool and Greninja, the second best Generation VI starter.

Anyways, I have added you back!

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I usually pick my mains in fighting games by trying each out in training/practice modes and sticking with one that I'm comfortable with using. In smash I seem to enjoy using Pikachu, though I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to play Lucario or Greninja. Some people advise on using certain characters that are good all-round as they're more beginner friendly. Some people find a character they really like from looks, their moves or style no matter if they're hard for them to use (Like Why I play Dudley in Ultra SF4)

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
I'm juggling at least a dozen characters, but as time goes on you'll know simply by how easy the wins are becoming with who.

If anything, it's good news that it's so hard to choose, this game is a dream come true :colorful:
Very true cant fight that logic :p

"Kick eggs out of the nest."

How about you main :4yoshi:

Nah but honestly, why not just main your favourite Nintendo character or character you feel you're best with & have the most potential with.
Honestly that made me laugh more then i care to admit! good joke! Dunno Bowser might be a choice I dunno wish i could figure it out /cry XD

Yup, I have one character in mind, but there are plenty of other which I would like to git gud with, as well, so I am still not sure about who will end up being my main(s). I am on the same boat as you, I grew up with games, so 90% of the cast mean something to me, in a way or another. The ones who don't? They are still cool characters in their own ways, specially Robin who looks hella cool and Greninja, the second best Generation VI starter.

Anyways, I have added you back!
Dude Greninja = #1 :p Chespin is #2 XD but yea this cast is amazing, and actually one of the first games i beat all the way through is with little mac on my grandmothers NES it was amazing when i finally beat king hippo with the mac attack i was super hyped when i saw him in the game!

I usually pick my mains in fighting games by trying each out in training/practice modes and sticking with one that I'm comfortable with using. In smash I seem to enjoy using Pikachu, though I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to play Lucario or Greninja. Some people advise on using certain characters that are good all-round as they're more beginner friendly. Some people find a character they really like from looks, their moves or style no matter if they're hard for them to use (Like Why I play Dudley in Ultra SF4)
All good ways to pick a main im keeping all this in mind! thank you everybody for their replies.

Edit: also I'm going to be adding everybody in this thread! hope to see you in smash

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Do what i do.

My favorite character from any game thats available is the one i use the most. Technically this would be megaman but his playstyle...urks me...ive tried to power through it but nope cant do it.
My mains shift depending on other games im playing most of the time. Nothing wrong with having a lot of "mains" because it allows diversity.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
My mains are my favorite characters (Example, Mario became my main simply because I liked him as a character in his series)
Then there are the guys that you can actually use (Example, I immediately picked up Pacman because his moves/battle style fit my fighting needs.)

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Well I tend to use bigger characters. I sometimes lose my focus and if I have a small character a few mistakes can get me KOed. I also like long ranged characters, but I'm not big on projectiles. I like attacks that feel very satisfying to land. I also like characters who have an easier time getting back on stage so I don't have to worry about edge guarding off stage.

You just have to take the advantages you like most, and weaknesses that don't matter much to you, or you can get around.

I also don't tend to play with characters I feel are over used. People know better what to expect from you first of all, and you just feel like another one in the masses. But now if they got beat up by a big fat pink penguin they are going to remember that.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Pick a character you like.

Pick a character you like playing.

Or wait for a tier list and use the best.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Its tricky. Sometimes you have a lot of fun with a character like bowser jr, but then deep down you want to look cool and feel cool as a swordfighter or brawler-style fighter like marth or fox. Its hard to find what you YEARN for :p

When you think about wanting to play smash, what character are you seeing fight? What movements are you itching to make? What visual profile do you identify with? Etc

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Do what i do.

My favorite character from any game thats available is the one i use the most. Technically this would be megaman but his playstyle...urks me...ive tried to power through it but nope cant do it.
My mains shift depending on other games im playing most of the time. Nothing wrong with having a lot of "mains" because it allows diversity.
I understand 100% on the megaman thing couldn't play him in the demo and cant play him in the full game XD and i do agree with the sentiment of having a lot of them i just would like to have one, or two, that I've "mastered" or "can do well against even the strongest opponent" you know?

My mains are my favorite characters (Example, Mario became my main simply because I liked him as a character in his series)
Then there are the guys that you can actually use (Example, I immediately picked up Pacman because his moves/battle style fit my fighting needs.)
See Cap. Falcon is that kind of main like your Mario. But I would love that pacman type main where i just feel like I'm playing an extension of myself and just going with the flow you know?

Well I tend to use bigger characters. I sometimes lose my focus and if I have a small character a few mistakes can get me KOed. I also like long ranged characters, but I'm not big on projectiles. I like attacks that feel very satisfying to land. I also like characters who have an easier time getting back on stage so I don't have to worry about edge guarding off stage.

You just have to take the advantages you like most, and weaknesses that don't matter much to you, or you can get around.

I also don't tend to play with characters I feel are over used. People know better what to expect from you first of all, and you just feel like another one in the masses. But now if they got beat up by a big fat pink penguin they are going to remember that.
I understand the bigger character idea, I feel like if it felt right i could use projectiles but as it stands right now there's only like 2 with projectiles (as a main idea Zelda/ZSS) that i really like. Maybe villager too if his game play counts as projectiles XD

I like that bit about the advantages/weaknesses bit best advice out there.

Pick a character you like.

Pick a character you like playing.

Or wait for a tier list and use the best.
Cap. Falcon

Trying to find this one

Tier lists help but you can play the best of the best and win 100% of the time and end up hating the game so /shrug on that last one

Abhi-wan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Abhi-wan
3DS FC
2852-7698-3155
Hm, I actually might be able to help you! As of now my mains are Link (forever and always), Shiek, ZSS, and Robin, but I can use a lot more characters pretty well and effectively. I'm not free at the moment but I'm down to play later today! And I definitely agree @ Reila Reila , pick a character from a series you love and you'll enjoy using them that much more.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Simply choose a character, and try to get used to how he/she operates.

On my end, I've been spending the most time playing as Rosalina.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217

Honestly just pick the character you feel the most comfortable with and the one that you are the best with I chose mine that way. I guess you just have to pick a character you think you are good with and spend time learning strategies and combos using the character and if you think you are good enough with them main em.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Its tricky. Sometimes you have a lot of fun with a character like bowser jr, but then deep down you want to look cool and feel cool as a swordfighter or brawler-style fighter like marth or fox. Its hard to find what you YEARN for :p

When you think about wanting to play smash, what character are you seeing fight? What movements are you itching to make? What visual profile do you identify with? Etc
Off-Topic: Wow this is kinda cool I've been linked your videos before and seen you around and now you commented here heh!

On-topic: I dunno when i picture smash i see swords and fistfights and ranged, Now if only they made Captain Marthman?!?!?! lol Im sure ill narrow it down eventually! all this "this is how i found mine" is really helping though.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Simply choose a character, and try to get used to how he/she operates.

On my end, I've been spending the most time playing as Rosalina.
Good advice and I too have been liking the Luma and princess combo! Good luck with her!

Honestly just pick the character you feel the most comfortable with and the one that you are the best with I chose mine that way. I guess you just have to pick a character you think you are good with and spend time learning strategies and combos using the character and if you think you are good enough with them main em.
Thats very true you kinda just have to go "Hey i like you im going to spend hours controlling you until i can do and up air into down special combo that i saw in that video 8D..." "D8" <- their reaction XD

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You could just use Sheik like everyone else is trying to do :p

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Hm, I actually might be able to help you! As of now my mains are Link (forever and always), Shiek, ZSS, and Robin, but I can use a lot more characters pretty well and effectively. I'm not free at the moment but I'm down to play later today! And I definitely agree @ Reila Reila , pick a character from a series you love and you'll enjoy using them that much more.
Totally just missed your comment! it appeared out of thin air but awesome! id love to play some rounds! ill add you!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Seeing as you used Bowser, I say go with him. He's immensely better as he deserves to be.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Bowser is pretty damn good. If you can get good enough to time his side smash you can KO people at like 70% or so.
Even as a heavy character like DK or Dedede ive been KO'd at ~80% by his uncharged sidesmash. Its just...insane

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
FALCON PUNNNNNCHAAAA

Bowser is pretty damn good. If you can get good enough to time his side smash you can KO people at like 70% or so.
Even as a heavy character like DK or Dedede ive been KO'd at ~80% by his uncharged sidesmash. Its just...insane
Yea Bowser is pretty good and i like that but i just dunno /shrug it was more for bowsersciding my siblings XD

Seeing as you used Bowser, I say go with him. He's immensely better as he deserves to be.
I need to get with your pixel art person to learn! that looks amazing! id love to learn!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
FALCON PUNNNNNCHAAAA

Yea Bowser is pretty good and i like that but i just dunno /shrug it was more for bowsersciding my siblings XD

I need to get with your pixel art person to learn! that looks amazing! id love to learn!
Oh, I don't know them personally. But I do know they have a website with comic strips. You can see them here.

Last edited:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
I'd say ike but I'm considering swapping since I cant fight the speedsters plus I really wana learn to edge guard and shiek will force me to master it

Top Bottom