• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help fighting Squirtle

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
Charizard gets the Banana ****, Ivysaur gets owned by the combos, but squirtle is so hard to play against. People spam that side B and i dont know how to stop it all the time. I know if you footstool him, u get a free anything, but other than that, there's pretty much nothin I can do until they slip up. Also, his Fair to A,A,A combo is a headache. How do you stop this turtle?

Please respond, I need help asap. I have a tourney comin up in my hometown and the only person I have problems with, uses pokemon trainer.

Tenki

Smash Hero
people spam side-B?

You can... smash the side-B and send it flying in a direction he doesn't want.

Squirtle's a priority problem, so if you can, try to pshield grab his attacks. Disrupt his jumps with springs, and if he's a grounded player, try to force dodges and rolls.

Otherwise, you'll just have to take advantage of the player using him.
Running>side-B feint out of roll/attack range is super effective against reflexive players.
Reading techs and dodges is good too.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Ftilt is too good in this matchup. Squirtle totally ***** Sonic in the air and his aerials are much more efficient. But anything with more speed and range than him does well against him.

SoldierofGOD357

Smash Rookie
I agree with Tenki, but I would also recommend letting him come to you. As Tenki said, use both spin dashes when Squirtle approaches you with side B. If your fighting at Final Destination, Battlefield, or another level similar in size Squirtle will usually go over the side of the stage while using side B (if you dodge), and will end up having to recover. When that happens, gimp em'. Since you say he spams it, that even gives you more chances for a gimp KO.

To sum it up, I would be on the defense. Although, this is a bad strategy with Sonic, it sometimes can work to your advantage. Try to dodge attacks, play mind games, and set yourself with some combos by grabbing. (Grabbing is another great way to pull out some combos). I also recommend to practice fighting a level 9 cpu Squirtle. Be on defense, but be on the move though, never camp with Sonic because that leads to disaster.

Top Bottom