• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help - Countering Snake's Dash Attack

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Hi there. I have a question for Olimar users that fight against Snake users. In terms of projectiles, I am able to out-perform most Snake users through mind games, with Pikmin Throw. However, by pressuring Snake from a distance, I am encouraging Snake to come to me. Snake usually runs at me, and then dives at me by pressing A. The problem is, I ALWAYS, always get caught by this attack. It's not Snake's grenades. It's not his C4's, rocket launchers or whatever. It's his dashing attack that always hits me.

I tried using shield grabs, but it seems very inefficient with Snake's dashing attack. For example, as Snake runs towards me and dives, I put up my shield, and Snake dives right through my shield. So, he ends up behind me, and I cannot grab him immediately. I must turn, which opens up opportunities for Snake to attack me.

For reference, watch NC-Echo's video against Snake, from 1:56 to 1:58. The exact same thing happens to me, as well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HmM1pCYCv6A

Does anyone have any tips on how to counter Snake's dashing attack? Any information is appreciated.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
I just got my *** handed to me several times by a snake, but I won a few times... The best way I've been able to avoid his dash attack was to perfect shield or roll the opposite direction.

IllidR

Smash Champion
No offense, but when are you going to stop making threads asking for help on how to play against a single move, it seems kind of pointless doesn't it?

shanus

Smash Hero
No offense, but when are you going to stop making threads asking for help on how to play against a single move, it seems kind of pointless doesn't it?
not really, this forum is about olimar tactics and its better than another whistle armor SAF thread....

As for what to do against snake, its a toss up because his move has a lot of priorty. At times, I've seen a well timed short hop neutral air actually out priortize the roll, but I'm not sure which part of the attack outdoes it. IN most cases I am for a power shield -> bair, but that is harder to do with online buffer system/latency

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Hi there, IllidR. Actually, I believe these single-move posts are extremely important and crucial to the success of Olimar players. If your opponent has even just one move that can get you every time, that is enough to cost you the match. It is good to learn and understand how to deal with everything that your opponent does, mate. In this case, I understand how to deal with everything Snake does, EXCEPT for this one move: his dashing attack.

not really, this forum is about olimar tactics and its better than another whistle armor SAF thread....

As for what to do against snake, its a toss up because his move has a lot of priorty. At times, I've seen a well timed short hop neutral air actually out priortize the roll, but I'm not sure which part of the attack outdoes it. IN most cases I am for a power shield -> bair, but that is harder to do with online buffer system/latency
Shanus, thank you so much for the response. I was thinking of using a Back-Air attack after shielding, but you are absolutely right about it being tough. Online matches are slightly laggy. Even when my opponent has a green bubble connection status, there's still just a small trace of latency that makes everything difficult to do. I will focus more on Back-Airing, now that you've suggested it. Thanks, mate!

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Sometimes you will find that jumping for a fair or bair will either miss or fail to achieve your desired performance, particularly if you are unfortunate enough to have a white in front. If grabbing is giving you a lot of trouble, try tilting. I'm being completely serious. Olimar's tilts may not be strong, but from the way it sounds you are simply looking for a quick way to interrupt the attack and not take unnecessary damage. This concern is well founded and sometimes a simple up tilt or ftilt will be enough to stop incoming attacks. I can't test this at the moment given that I'm down on campus, but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts about using the up tilt to stop down aerials. It's quick, doesn't put pikmin in danger, and helps you avoid damage.

Of course, a retreating fair seems to be a pretty solid choice as well, but be careful that you don't miss and get knocked up into the air.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Sometimes you will find that jumping for a fair or bair will either miss or fail to achieve your desired performance, particularly if you are unfortunate enough to have a white in front. If grabbing is giving you a lot of trouble, try tilting. I'm being completely serious. Olimar's tilts may not be strong, but from the way it sounds you are simply looking for a quick way to interrupt the attack and not take unnecessary damage. This concern is well founded and sometimes a simple up tilt or ftilt will be enough to stop incoming attacks. I can't test this at the moment given that I'm down on campus, but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts about using the up tilt to stop down aerials. It's quick, doesn't put pikmin in danger, and helps you avoid damage.

Of course, a retreating fair seems to be a pretty solid choice as well, but be careful that you don't miss and get knocked up into the air.
Wow, mate. Tilt attacks? I've never tried that after Snake's dashing attack, because I didn't think it would be enough. I'll do some testing. Thanks a lot!

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I would Most likely roll, or SH to Bair. You could try Fsmashing while hes dashing aswell.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Snakes Dash is annoying, but its avoidable, though, I really wish I'd run into a good snake player soon, I'm playing way to many foxes, diddys and toon link =/

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
A good snake player will realize that his dash attack is the perfect setup move against an oli (Also his dash knocks off allt he piknin you latched, i play a snake as well, and whenever i get a pikmin to latch onto him, he does a dash attack. Its predictable, but ic ant seem to counter it all the time :*(. ). I can relate to you gazelle, with the fact that shield grabs dont seem to work, and how snakes plows through your shield.

My strat, really just RUN TEH FOOK AWAY. Run into a turn around grab. If the snake does that dash to up-smash attack, doing a SH aerial will PHAIL. Even running away to a turn around fails. I just roll towards snake, gets past the dash. (may not work For everyone, but it does for me :(. If timed correctly you can dash to shield grab)

Snake SHOULDN'T be a problem with OLI. The pikmin spam is more than a match for Snake, so there really is no reason an Oli should lose to a snake. ( Unless that snake is REALLY REALLY good) (i mean REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLLASY Good)

Top Bottom