• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP! Brawl Costume Manager UNABLE TO OPEN FILE FOR WRITE ACCESS

MINI

Smash Rookie
NNID
MINItheFox
3DS FC
4038-7387-2895
I am trying to replace the "MenSelchrFaceB160.brres" file in Brawl Costume Manager, and at first, it works perfectly on a fresh download of PM.
But when I close and start the program once again, the "MenSelchrFaceB160.brres" file replacement is gone, and Marth's regular file has returned.
If I try to replace it once again, I will be able to put the new replacement file into the program, but I am unable to save the change.
This message appear, and it pops up when I click the "Save" button below the smallest Lucina name tag.

The Project M option is turned on too.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that changing that file doesn't seem to be working in the latest version. Open that file manually in BrawlBox and replace it there. Also that error usually means the file is open in another program.

Last edited:

MINI

Smash Rookie
NNID
MINItheFox
3DS FC
4038-7387-2895
Okay, I will try after I have got some shuteye.

I will post when I have found out whether it worked or not.
Thanks for posting!

MINI

Smash Rookie
NNID
MINItheFox
3DS FC
4038-7387-2895
I realized this is posted in the wrong section of the board, so I will delete or move this thread soon.

But it worked out as you said, despite the custom MenSelchar file did not represent the location I intended in game, but I slightly worked around it.
Thanks for the help.

MINI

Smash Rookie
NNID
MINItheFox
3DS FC
4038-7387-2895
I also have this problem - and update on a fix or a way to download a not-broken version?
As NFreak states, you can edit this particular part manually in BrawlBox.
Just be sure that Brawl Costume Manager is closed before you do so... otherwise it won't work.

Narpas_sword

Followed this because I was having the same issues, however, even when changing the file in BrawlBox, I don't get the CSP, note, the file works for the Results Screen, and I can see the CSP there.
You have to change it in 2 places. The same image fits the result screen and CSP, but they're located in two different places.

change it in common5 and in
....\pf\menu\common\char_bust_tex

common5 does the result screen, the other one is CSP.

Last edited:

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
You have to change it in 2 places. The same image fits the result screen and CSP, but they're located in two different places.

I'm aware, I did replace both, it just didn't register the file for some reason, I copypasted all the files into another folder and formatted my SD Card, upon putting the files back in, the CSP worked, thanks for the reply though.

WalkingAngel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalkingAngel
3DS FC
1289-8866-4008

Common5 does CSP
MenSelchrFaceB###.brres does results screen

meteosan123

Smash Rookie
I do not get this "common5" and am still having issues with trying to put the CSP anywhere. Could anyone help me on this topic? Sorry for being a nub

Nvm found it, I'm seriously dumb.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I had this problem then I downloaded an older version of costume manager and it worked fine. It's a bug in the newer version.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Sorry for bumping, but Im trying to get the results screen pic, stock icon and the battle portrait to show up. Every time I do it in the Brawl Costume manager, it only saves the CSP.
How do I manually change the pictures in BrawlBox?

WalkingAngel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalkingAngel
3DS FC
1289-8866-4008
Sorry for bumping, but Im trying to get the results screen pic, stock icon and the battle portrait to show up. Every time I do it in the Brawl Costume manager, it only saves the CSP.
How do I manually change the pictures in BrawlBox?
Battle portraits are located in pf>info>portrite>InfFace###.brres
Results screen portraits are contained in the menu folder which you open up and should find a file like MenSelChrFace###.brres (ex. MenSelChrFace390.brres is Roy)
Stock icons are inside the StgResult.Pac in the stages folder.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Battle portraits are located in pf>info>portrite>InfFace###.brres
Results screen portraits are contained in the menu folder which you open up and should find a file like MenSelChrFace###.brres (ex. MenSelChrFace390.brres is Roy)
Stock icons are inside the StgResult.Pac in the stages folder.

Hope this helped!
Ok, I found the battle portraits, but how do I make my own .brres files for both battle portraits and result screen portraits? And how do I open the StgResult.pac?

WalkingAngel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalkingAngel
3DS FC
1289-8866-4008
For battle portraits you would open brawl box and click new brres file. Then import your battle portrait make sure the image is C18 or CMPR to reduce the file size or else it will crash. Then save as InfFace###.brres depending on what character it is for.

Now for the Results screen portraits. Open brawl box, make new brres file. Import textures named MenSelchrFaceB.### depending on character. Then save it as MenSelchrFaceB##0.brres

And to open the StgResult.Pac open it with brawlbox as well

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
For battle portraits you would open brawl box and click new brres file. Then import your battle portrait make sure the image is C18 or CMPR to reduce the file size or else it will crash. Then save as InfFace###.brres depending on what character it is for.

Now for the Results screen portraits. Open brawl box, make new brres file. Import textures named MenSelchrFaceB.### depending on character. Then save it as MenSelchrFaceB##0.brres

ok, thanks. Ill report back later to see how things went down.

EDIT- I didnt even make it to the CS menu

Last edited:

WalkingAngel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalkingAngel
3DS FC
1289-8866-4008
ok, thanks. Ill report back later to see how things went down.

EDIT- I didnt even make it to the CS menu
What do you mean?

Whenever I change costumes manually It works just fine

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
What do you mean?

Whenever I change costumes manually It works just fine
It froze every time I pressed Fight. However, I deleted the build.
Now Im trying to restart, but now my Hero of Mobius Sonic isnt working, despite the fact that it worked before. I keep on manually changing the Stock Icon, Battle Portrait, and the Results Screen Portrait in the BrawlBox, and the CSp and the Fit files in the costume manager, but it wont let me use the Sonic...

SRank

Smash Rookie
Where can you find an older version of Brawl Costume Manager?

Top Bottom