• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against Samus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
I main my DDD and do really well against most. But my friend has a Samus game I just cannot do anything against. He keeps his sweet distance charging up his neutral b, and deflects my gordos with his missiles. When I try tilts and grabs he smashes me out. When I recover with my up b, right when I hit the ground he sends his neutral b and KOs me.
Nothing works! Can I get some help/advice?

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I'm not a really good DDD, but I can give some advice regarding the recovery. Try to not use your uSpecial to get onto the stage, rather use it to grab the ledge from below. When you are on the ledge you can either get up normally or jump off and use your multiple jumps to get onto the stage, then maybe throw a gordo from the air that's harder to deflect or approach with a fast fallen nair which could be followed onto a grab, for example.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
I'm not a really good DDD, but I can give some advice regarding the recovery. Try to not use your uSpecial to get onto the stage, rather use it to grab the ledge from below. When you are on the ledge you can either get up normally or jump off and use your multiple jumps to get onto the stage, then maybe throw a gordo from the air that's harder to deflect or approach with a fast fallen nair which could be followed onto a grab, for example.
That's true. Using the uair to recover to the edge rather than the stage is a great idea. Thanks!
The nair is something I've been trying to implement. The only problem is that samus' up smash is the perfect counter to it.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Yeah didn't really think about her usmash, you are right, that's very good against falling nair.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
That would be so if this game were just about counters, in reality you can't just counter your way to victory unless you're sheik. =]

This game is more about spacing and reading your opponent, if your friend is "countering" your FF Nair with his Uspecial, then you are being way too predictable. You have 5 jumps AND air dodge between each one, your friend should never EVER be able to guess when you are about to FF nair him more than like once a match. DDDs unpredictable FF Nair drives opponents crazy, you'll find he will being to just shield when you are above or roll away....which works into FF gordo or FF Bair etc. DDD isn't the prefect character, but his Nair and jumps are his strong suit.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
In Reply to your main post. I would start by learning your character, it sounds like you are a fairly casual character. I always begin each character by mastering their SH (short hop) FF (Fast Fall) Start a solo match against a sand bag and just SH FF over and over and over again until you have it mastered. Once you've got that, do a full jump to FF and master that. Finally you can mix in moves here, start simple though, SH to Nair to FF. All of this is being done in place so the next step is to practice these skills while moving forward. SH DI (directional influence) forward Nair FF.

You will find your game improve drastically if you just get that muscle memory into your fingers.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I am actually fairly competative and know DDD well. But the SH and FF info is news to me! Thanks a lot!
I do not understand the FF gordo? How do I do that? Jump and use a gordo?

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Thanks for the advice. I am actually fairly competative and know DDD well. But the SH and FF info is news to me! Thanks a lot!
I do not understand the FF gordo? How do I do that? Jump and use a gordo?
He's saying while you're in the air you would use your gordo move, then subsequently after fast fall to the ground. In this sense you now have the pressure of an impending gordo hurdling at them as well as the pressure of D3 closing in, which might cause the opponent to make rash decisions from which you can read, punish, and tech chase.

Gotohellcadz

Smash Rookie
in terms of dealing with samus up close I find d3's forward tilt to be good for spacing, and if the samus tries to use their grapple lasso you can easily just spot dodge and start up an A combo for easy punish.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
in terms of dealing with samus up close I find d3's forward tilt to be good for spacing, and if the samus tries to use their grapple lasso you can easily just spot dodge and start up an A combo for easy punish.
He's saying while you're in the air you would use your gordo move, then subsequently after fast fall to the ground. In this sense you now have the pressure of an impending gordo hurdling at them as well as the pressure of D3 closing in, which might cause the opponent to make rash decisions from which you can read, punish, and tech chase.
Thanks for all your help guys! I'll be sure to use these as well as my new Diddy second main.

Jiggy-Saw

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jigsaw107
Samus is actually my secondary and I play her quite a bit/train against her quite a bit. Samus has really good ariel combos, but I have found that an Up-Tilt Gordo on descent can really catch a player off guard. Also try to minimize your Gordo use since her projectiles just send it back. I typically either used the Gordo as a descending/returning to stage tactic. However it can catch them at close range. Just be mindful once you are in the air that Samus's will typically follow up with Up Airs or Nairs.

For recovering, Samus's will typically try to jump off and spike you down. Your Up-Air far out spaces her, so you can use an up-air to keep her away then Up B to recover. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
My advice is to not to spam gordos, since samus has stuff to counter those (Just like 99% of the cast).

Also down a clanks with missiles and not-charged lasers and it also moves you forward a bit. Dont know if its the same with charged lasers, give that a try.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
That's true. Using the uair to recover to the edge rather than the stage is a great idea. Thanks!
The nair is something I've been trying to implement. The only problem is that samus' up smash is the perfect counter to it.
It might be late, but try to fake a n-air with a fast fall then fast fall + n-air for real.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom