• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Against Projectiles

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok so I'm having a lot of trouble fighting projectile-spammy characters like Link, Toon Link, Mewtwo, Falco ect and I need some help. I can't get in with QD at all forcing me to approach with full hop aerials which is easily punishable. What can I do against these characters before I rip my hair out? Anyone got any good tips or videos that show how Ike can overcome these relentless projectiles?

Last edited:

TranqJim

Smash Cadet
Make sure you full hop to get close enough in then throw in QD when they're aiming up. Avoid FD i find it easier for people to projectile camp there

Commander

Smash Ace
Pick stages where you can dance around on platforms and just don't use quick draw as much. Just do short hop nair approaches instead. Nair destroys most projectiles and covers you entirely. Also try to get in as fast as possible and don't give your opponent a chance to breathe.

Last edited:

BlinkIV

Avenger
Stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Skyworld, Skyloft, and Dracula's Castle are favorable stages for that. You can either get the timing right, and shield the projectiles and WD OoS to get in slowly, but surely. Other times you want to throw out spaced F-airs to likely catch them with a few hits. Don't try to QD as much, unless you're using it to get around platforms. Once you manage to get in, you want to stay in as best you can. If you're good at tech chasing, then abuse it. If you're not, then just try to maximize your damage, then reset the situation back to neutral while still focusing on dash dashing on platforms. Those projectile characters don't have the best platform game, whereas Ike has a pretty good plat game. The QD compliments his mobility for getting around platforms very easily, and the stages I listed benefit Ike's recovery than the others you mentioned.

Story short. Don't get hit, play safe, maximize damage output.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Check out what I wrote in the Fox/Falco thread as well. Skyloft is a great stage for fighting projectile chars in general, Yoshi Brawl's central long platform is severely underrated for dealing with campy characters (it's longer length enables you to engage the opponents easier when they come to you and negates a lot of the 'trapped on a platform' problems), Green Hill Zone is Ike City which isn't large enough to enable projectile spam for too long. FoD is decent but I find it janky and Battlefield is good if your platform game is. Avoid FD and Smashville, I know SV is 'neutral' but it puts Ike at a significant disadvantage vers a lot of characters.

Top Bottom