• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Against Olimar?

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
I jus picked up Falcon yesterday (i was a Falcon main in Melee, so now I'm trying to beef him back up) and I'm entering in a tournament today. Any tips against Olimar? I can easily beat an Olimar with Metaknight, but Metaknight takes no skill to use. I wanna be able to beat the competition with my favorite character. Any tips? Thank you!

Rocafellanerd

Smash Rookie
when i face olimar i use the raptor boost alot and the falcon kick because when he throws the pikman at you it doesn't hurt him when you the falcon kick and raptor boost

Iwan

Smash Ace
You're going to have to pick and choose when to go at Olimar. The short b***ard is a really bad matchup for Falcon (any short character is). Try dash dancing into a raptor boost, or air dodge over olimar, then raptor boost back towards him. Do everything you can to get him into the air. After that it's really just a matter of getting him off the stage. Olimar is by far and away one of the easiest characters in the game to gimp. He only has a tether recovery, so grab that ledge and he should lose a stock...lol. Also watch out for his grab game, it's really pretty stupid how good it is. He has a lot more range than you'd think. Falcon kick and raptor boost should work well, but don't abuse the raptor boost or you'll get *****. If you land a running A on him, go straight into an Up Tilt, and from there try to get off an Up air or Back air. So Running A>>Utilt>>Uair/Bair. Lastly, a hyphen up smash is nice for KO's if you can catch him off guard with the moves sliding distance.

That's all I have on this matchup, but also...if you only picked up Falcon yesterday, just remember: DON'T play him like you played him in melee. That'll set you up for a loss real fast.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What does the Falcon kick outprioritize? That's the main thing I want to know in this matchup. If it outprioritizes anything in this matchup it will make approaching Olimar that much easier. Otherwise....

Do your best autocanceling D-airs, as it will be by far your most useful approach because Olimar is very short and this will probably be your only attack that can hit him in the air when he's on the ground. Staying in the air also keeps you away from his huge *** grab, and if you get grabbed he can combo you like a monster or kill you with a throw. Be sure to watch out for his huge smash attacks too which beat ****loads of stuff.

The key to winning with anyone against him is ledgeguarding him because his recovery is the 2nd worst in the entire game, the worst belonging to Ivysaur.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I jus picked up Falcon yesterday (i was a Falcon main in Melee, so now I'm trying to beef him back up) and I'm entering in a tournament today. Any tips against Olimar? I can easily beat an Olimar with Metaknight, but Metaknight takes no skill to use. I wanna be able to beat the competition with my favorite character. Any tips? Thank you!
1. Metaknight takes skill to use. If he didn't, then this guy would win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1XMOLixxjA

2. The reason why you can beat Olimar with Metaknight and not Captain Falcon is because Metaknight is a much harder matchup for Olimar than Captain Falcon is.

I can't give you any real tips, because I've only played the other end of the matchup, and not vs. anyone who gave me enough trouble to remember it. If I do face a good Falcon, I could help you more.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
1. Metaknight takes skill to use. If he didn't, then this guy would win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1XMOLixxjA

2. The reason why you can beat Olimar with Metaknight and not Captain Falcon is because Metaknight is a much harder matchup for Olimar than Captain Falcon is.

I can't give you any real tips, because I've only played the other end of the matchup, and not vs. anyone who gave me enough trouble to remember it. If I do face a good Falcon, I could help you more.
^wtf on topic???
edit* actually now that i saw the video ur post is even worst.....wtf obviously u have to know how to play the game to be any good that guy probly just picked up his controller or messing around. Metaknight is easy to pick up because he doesnt take any skill to learn u could just spam moves and win i think thats what he meant.
anyways the key to this fight is getting that lil guy in the air. once there, its not even worth it to try and knee just spam uair till he hits u or u mess up. once u get him off the ledge w.e the game is urs. DONT TRY USING YOUR GROUND MOVES!!!! well once in a while to keep him guessing but honestly the elbow or the regular titl dont even matter.....hypen smash maybe but still. use raptor boost and flacon kick as you see fit. basically just get him in the air at all cost and just play smart.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
What does the Falcon kick outprioritize? That's the main thing I want to know in this matchup. If it outprioritizes anything in this matchup it will make approaching Olimar that much easier. Otherwise....

Do your best autocanceling D-airs, as it will be by far your most useful approach because Olimar is very short and this will probably be your only attack that can hit him in the air when he's on the ground. Staying in the air also keeps you away from his huge *** grab, and if you get grabbed he can combo you like a monster or kill you with a throw. Be sure to watch out for his huge smash attacks too which beat ****loads of stuff.

The key to winning with anyone against him is ledgeguarding him because his recovery is the 2nd worst in the entire game, the worst belonging to Ivysaur.
Falcon Kick clinks Olimar's Side B, most if not all of his Fsmashes (Pikmin variant), his AAA combo... pretty much any ranged move I think. I use Falcon Kick all the time against Olimar. The problem is not in that realm, the problem against Olimar is that he can 0-75% you if you make one mistake.

P.S. I'm just going off memory on these clinks, some of them might actually be able to be broken through by Falcon Kick. Either way, Falcon Kick is a great tool against Olimar (Raptor Boost also is great against Side B).

Top Bottom