• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help a noob out.

Megamioflust

Smash Cadet
Okay...

This is my first time playing a Smash game, so I don't have the exp from the past games. I am maining Toon Link since overall he is an effective char. I have a few questions though. I don't know much about Smash slang, so I hope you guys understand me . >_>

1) How important is Toon Links movement?

I see alot of Toon Link players short hop and jump/quick land alot. This is what I have troubles the most with.

2) Using a Classic Controller bad?

3) Is it me , or do I see other Toon link players glide a little longer when they jump?

4) This is a really stupid question, but why do I hear alot of players **** the the Analog stick when they play?

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
1) It speeds up your game and allows you to move faster, while controlling your character better too.
2) Not necessarily. GC Controllers are like, more "solid" though. And I know so little about them that I don't know if they have a C stick. Because there are certain Advanced Techniques (AT's) that revolve around using the C-Stick.
3) Not sure what you're talking about.
4)Dashing around so much. Since dashing basically requires you to smash your control stick to one direction, it ***** the control stick pretty fast.

think13

Smash Cadet
1) Short hops and fast falls do speed up your game, and help you combo better. They are most effective when used with an aerial attack (Toon Link's bair is really good).

2) Actually, the classic controller is pretty much as good as the GameCube controller for smash, so if you have no experience with the GameCube controller, it might actually be better. The only thing you may have to worry about is interference and battery life, because it isn't wired.

3) Can you clarify what you mean?

4) Dashing, fast falling, smashing (without c stick), and DI all require you to mash the control stick.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
the best thing for u is to play other ppl
Excellent post this one is. Very helpful for a beginner. Please keep up the excellent posting.

As for what DI is, it stands for Directional Influence. Some information can be found in this thread. There's a more in-depth one somewhere in the tactics board, but it wasn't on the first page and I didn't want to look any further.

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
you my n00b friend, you are very smart.

now, let old Someguy give you some advice,

1. i like your enthusiasm, but, i mean if this is your first smash, then i would practice the basics first, work on the fundementals, you gotta crawl before you can walk, and you gotta walk before you can run, right now, you're going from crawl to run. don't get to far ahead of yourself.

2. since this is your first smash, i HIGHLY recomend that you spend a good deal of time on each character before you deside your main. and that means even ZSS, zelda AND shiek, and ALL 3 of the PT's pokemon. i'm not saying that tl is bad, but you said that you just picked toon because you thought he looked really good, right? so you really haven't put much thought into you desiding your main, have you? and don't just pick a char. you're good at, pick someone who you LIKE playing as, as in fun. the game will get really old really fast if you main a character you don't enjoy playing as.

do all that, then come talk to me, and then i'll help u, almost everyone else on this forum has smash exp. me i've been into smash since 1999, when the first smash bros. game came out in NA. also, everyone has had a lot of exp with young link (the melee equivilent of TL) so, we kinda knew what we were doing before we even got the game.

good luck, n00blet.

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
by question 3, do you mean he spends more time in the air from a jump? cos hes pretty floaty (altho everyone seems pretty floaty in brawl) and thats just his physics.

i think someguy12 has a very good point in that try everyone before you decide who your going to main, cos i was WELL set on sonic, but unfortunately i just find him impossible to play well with, so i tried everyone else and love toon links play style.

Megamioflust

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips guys. I've been playing alot online and I'm doing pretty good. Marth and Wolf are pains in the ***** though. My biggest problem is setting up an effective b-air combo. but I'll get it somehow. I'll post a video soon so all of you can cry noob.:D

calprinicus

Smash Cadet
some controller tips that will help. go to your controls and take of tap-jump so you can combo your tilts better mainly u-tilt. learn to use 'x' or 'y' to jump.(not sure what they're on the classic controller.)
classic controller is good much like a GC controller.

For RaRing just go to training and practice to you can bring it on your online games.

your not a noob when your trying and learning. GL.

Megamioflust

Smash Cadet
by question 3, do you mean he spends more time in the air from a jump? cos hes pretty floaty (altho everyone seems pretty floaty in brawl) and thats just his physics.

i think someguy12 has a very good point in that try everyone before you decide who your going to main, cos i was WELL set on sonic, but unfortunately i just find him impossible to play well with, so i tried everyone else and love toon links play style.
well, it's hard to explain, but it's mostly to do with the movement while in the air.

t_mac009

Smash Rookie
i found one of the most important things in making ur TL better is disabling tap jumping and learning to SH consistantly by tapping X,..like u picked out, returning to stage as quickly as possible is key in carrying out combos with TL..ive played all the smashes but didnt play melee very often so the game was sooooorta familiar but i had to re teach myself alot..watch videos on youtube by Kizzu and MellowD. i picked up alot just by imitating their actions and if u have any questions u have a full community here to answer them :bee:

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
You can have two mains, it's not that big of a deal, the head just means he prolly uses bowser more than TL.

I main Meta Knight and Marth, but I can't put both heads on my profile. XD

Before the reply to this comes up, Toon Link is one of my Secondaries, which is why he is in my sig and not Marth (Haven't found a good Marth head yet.) XP

As for Answering the questions, I think it's better to hear them from the people who main him rather than me, as I haven't figured out (or mastered) all of his tricks yet. =)

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
i think a gamecube controler is 100 times easier to handle than anything else, but that's just me, as well as most people. you should try each character before you choose a main but after that you can use the same character all the time. i'm actually still looking for my main. i've narrowed it down to either wolf, pit, marth, or TL. first try to learn the fundamentals of the game and once you get good you can start worrying about all the more advanced stuff, even though there's not nearly as much of that as in melee. dlx canceling and chain grabbing super jumping all that stuff will come easy once you get some practice and become a good smasher

Top Bottom