• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help a new smasher

tutata

Smash Ace
Hey i bearly got the game, and i know im going to sound newby, but how do you unlock the characters? I know how to zcancel and sh, but i dont get the wavedashing. Also if i want to get better i cant play the cpu so i have to go to other peeps houses and play. Will the y be mad if i suck since im new?

Corin

Smash Lord
people can't blame you for being bad if you're new. But if you're new, playing against CPU's is the first thing you should be doing. Playing against skilled players for your first matches would be pretty bad. Start with low-level CPU's, practice your moveset on them, find combinations that work. After you have a decent grasp of what you're doing, try playing more skilled players.

Since you're new, no one can expect you to be an insanely skilled player or anything, but if you ask them for help, they'll give it to you, I'm sure.

Honestly? I don't get wavedashing either, and I've had the game since it came out.

as for unlocking characters, just mess around with the adventure and classic modes, play lots of vs. matches. You'll get them.

Corin

Smash Lord
here, I don't know too much about it, so you should check out this link:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

search through that, and they'll have links where information on how to perform the techniques is given as well as a visual aid to let you know whether or not you're doing it right.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
In order to get Mewtwo, you have to play versus mode on Melee for 20 hours, so you can cheat this by plugging in two controllers, setting up a one stock match, then pick something like Fountain of Dreams, and go to sleep for eight hours.... When you wake up, kill of one of the guy's, and you have eight hours of gameplay right there.

(I didn't do that, because I never thought of it)

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
It's easier to get mewtwo by plugging in four controllers and playing for five hours for a combined 20 hours

quak

Smash Champion
wavedashing is all about spacing and speed, but you have to learn how to walk before you run, and for now, just play the 1P modes and unlock all the charactors and stages, which shouldn't take too long.

Then when you think that the game is all over with, find a few friends that are into the game locally, and have them show you the ropes of L-canceling, wavedashing, JC'ing, charactor specific techs, etc.

Because as soon as you step into competitve smash, it consumes you, in a good way, and it'll be the best game ever.

As for unlocking charactors and stages, go to a site like ign.com or gamefaqs.com, you'll get much better results faster, and you won't get any guff with it.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
since your new I don't suggest going on SWF(smashboards) or play competitively yet. O.. and you usualy get charectors by playing a LOT on the melee section. i suggest readina a walkthrough.

foxmccloud233

Smash Cadet
if u want to kno how to get characters and unlock stuff in the game go to www.gamesages.com and juss go to the smash bros melee cheats and look and i suggest if u wanna get good keep lookin around in the character discussion and find some vids on youtube

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72556
Wak's advanced how to play video. the thread and video are all you should need right now.
since the other people told you where to look for unlocking people, once you've done that start trying to learn general advanced techniques with that vid, then if you've picked a main start reading the threads in the character specific forums for your character.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Learn the basics, they probably won't care if you can't WD but if you can't even make it back to the stage most of the time then they would have a reason to get mad.

tutata

Smash Ace
Yeah im not that bad, u played the n64 version and i zcanceled,edguarded,edgehoged and other techniques, but i quite dont get that paragraph in the mlg forums that talks about wave dashing, can any of you guys help explaining it plz.

tutata

Smash Ace
Hey can some one help me out with the wave dashing, i dont get that paragraph in the mlg forum. Also im not that bad, i understood sh,z-cancel,edguarding,edge hoging in the 1st game, i just dont get the wave dash, i havent had some one show me it, can some one please explain in a way that i can understand. How about going to tourneys and smash "lans", sry i dont know how they are called. Also what are some basic mind games. Hey what do you guys suggest about playing other people, im only 16 and cant drive, and even if i get a permit i need an adult with me witch is not possible because my parents are always working. Any smashers from around my area? I live in Redwood city CA, "the bay area" thnx for the guides posted so far.

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
its in so many stickies >_>

just press a jump button (x/y), and before you're actually in the air, do an air-dodge diagonnaly in the ground. If you look around you can see a movie too.

Very basic; x/y, then shortly afterwards; downleft/right+R/L. (may use R so you can L-cancel on L)

full_95

Smash Journeyman
dudeman, i know you're new and everything, but these questions have all been answered many times on the boards. for gameplay questions, watch wak's advanced playing guide on youtube, it will teach you everything you want to know and more. also, when in doubt, use the search button at the top of the page under the calendar mushroom. ill indulge you tho. a tier is basically a ranking of how good each character is in relation to the other characters based on tournament wins and such. they are decided on by the mods of these forums and other respected smashers. (correct me if i'm wrong people, i think thats the gist of it)

Sol

Smash Lord
all you gotta do is keep going to tourneys and keep getting beat down untill you learn a thing or two. The best way to deliver beatings in smash is by getting beat yourself

iankobe

Smash Lord
...No one is answering his questions. Even though you should find the answers out YOURSELF, I'll be a nice guy to you just because you are new to the game.

Back in the game you can Z-cancel, but now it's L-cancel. The concept is the same. Just simply hit L/R right before you land after doing an aerial attack. JC means Jump Cancel, which means you can perform a grab with less lag. Simply hit X/Y or Up (jump)RIGHT before you try to grab someone. Now Wavedashing is a more advance technique for a new guy to do, but here's how to perform it: I suggest first pratice with Luigi, but since your game is new, use Mario. Before going into REAL WDing, try air dodgeing first. Just hit L/R in the air to airdodge. After knowing how to airdodge, try how to directional airdodge. Meaning using the joystick to control which way you want your character to airdodge to. After that, try to airdodge DIAGONALLY (downleft and downright). Not directly to the left, or directly to the right. WD is technically a really quick airdodge with directions. In order to do that, you also need to learn how to short hop. I'm assuming that you know how do it, so I won't go further with that. And now, try to SH, then QUICKLY hit L/R diagonally to the direction you want.

This takes a lot of pratice. Personally, it took me around 1-3 months to master or perform a WD fluently.

Ok. This is getting long. I hope that helped, and good luck. Keep searching for answers FIRST before asking questions. Oh, and also PLEASE NOT to double post :/

Lights out.

Top Bottom