• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello smashers, new yoshi here

Retrodino

Smash Rookie
Ive recently started playing my friend who always uses falco, and i always use yoshi i havent learned l canceling yet but im getting there, im slowly trying to get used to wavedashing so all these technical moves are a bit new for me, ive been playing yoshi for probably 2 months total, and im having trouble with the fast characters, like fox and falco. if anyone could give me a little insight or tips that would be great, i am hoping to someday be a yoshi pro. ive read some of the guides here but they didnt help. anyway this is my first post and i thought i would put it here because its specifically about yoshi.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Ive recently started playing my friend who always uses falco, and i always use yoshi i havent learned l canceling yet but im getting there, im slowly trying to get used to wavedashing so all these technical moves are a bit new for me, ive been playing yoshi for probably 2 months total, and im having trouble with the fast characters, like fox and falco. if anyone could give me a little insight or tips that would be great, i am hoping to someday be a yoshi pro. ive read some of the guides here but they didnt help. anyway this is my first post and i thought i would put it here because its specifically about yoshi.
Fox and Falcos are Yoshi's worst match up. Great spacing is important, and make sure you don't DJC too much, or you'll get shine spiked (especially from recoverying, use your full double jump). Don't grab too much (you'll get easily punished with a dash-danced pivtoted Usmash, shine, or another form of intese pain) and don't Fsmash like crazy. Try not to shield too much, and don't Fair too much either.

No, here is what you DO do (lol).
Work on shffling Nairs and wavedashing, instead of rolling. Dsmash when you have an oppertunity. When recovering or jumping, it's always safe to land with a Dair. Grab when your opponent is shielding or dashing towards you. Use the Yoshi bomb (Down B) rarely, as a surprise. If you abuse the move, they become accustomed to how you play. Using it raely catches thm off guard. Egg throw when on the edge, or when dropping through platforms (it reduces lag). Short hop into a Bair occationally, you'll be surprised how usefull that is. You can also follow up into a Uair or a Nair for a combo.

If you have anymore questions, look up Fumi Yoshi on Youtube (lol).

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Or just wait until brawl for Yoshi's full potenial.
lol whut?

Any good melee Yoshi player can easily tell he's been majorly nerfed. Both the good things Yoshi had going for him, crouch cancel attacks and DJC, he cant do anymore. The only things he got in return are some recovery with egg throw (I dont care with people say, he really didnt need a third jump, the 2 jumps he had were better than 2/3 of the cast with 3 jumps), a longer tail (bair didnt need a buff, it was already good), a stronger egg roll (useless) of the top of my head.

The only things that worked now when I used him in Brawl, was bair spam, egg spam, and DJ nair which has no follow up. All this can easily be punished by the higher tiered characters (think marth, wolf, olimar, snake, pit). The only characters I could go even against were some of the bigger characters like bowser and D3. O yeah, almost forgot, still no OoS jump. If he could use one thing it would be that and a faster grab.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Or, you could, you know, stop treating Yoshi like you did in Melee?

I'm just as disappointed at the loss of the DJC as the next guy, but I dunno, get over it?

I have a hard time believing that Yoshi's entire Melee metagame consisted of the DJC and CC'ing.

Besides, I have a hard time relating to your disappointment when most of the Yoshi videos I see are against the "top tier" characters (even though tiers at this point are useless and stupid) and about 4/5 of them have Yoshi as the winner.

Velox

Smash Ace
I have a hard time believing that Yoshi's entire Melee metagame consisted of the DJC and CC'ing..
Heh, that's most of it though :colorful:

Not that Yoshis are doing that all the time, but having the option to do that stuff is powerful. I'm more sad that now I can't double jump, get hit, and then attack right afterwards (ud be too far away to hit)...

I'm gunna need some time to recover from not being able to do that... ...

it's so good... Possibly Yoshi's one true character advantage that really puts him into a league of his own.

Now sure we use things like n-air a lot, but Yoshi's is terrible[/b compared to Fox. If that's the way you play Yoshi stop kidding yourself and go play Fox. It's the cool character specific things that have a chance of making Yoshi a redemable character.

Top Bottom