• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello Mewtwo board!

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
First I want to say thank you to everyone who contributed on the Mewtwo page. It's really amazing that I have all this knowledge just waiting for me to read it I almost can't believe this site exist. The reason I am making this thread is because I am going to the MLG tournament in Ohio and I will be running Mewtwo exclusively. I am picking him because of how much I like him as a character not because of any advantages he may or may not have.

I have never played any video game competitive and as of this post I don't even have the game yet. I don't know how to wavedash or anything right now. The one thing I have going for me is that I was a pro card player (Mtg, Cardfight, Shadow Era, many more) so I know how serious, serious competition is. So I know what kind of work I have to put in to do well. Also I do not get flustered as I have had hundreds of matches with a lot of people watching me in top 8 never blinking a eye or raising my heart beat.

All that being said I made this thread because I would like to know what to expect. Should I be expecting to go 0-2 drop for my first time and just be going to level up? Also what should I master first, movement? Any words of encouragement would be awesome!

(P.S. I have played cards my whole life with the winning is everything mentality and I am burnt out on having no fun. I am playing competitive smash for fun not for glory. I don't really expect to be taking down tournaments with Mewtwo but I am not going just to lose all the time either.)

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Oh man. I would expect to get bodied lol. (I'm good at all the wavedash and L-cancel basic tech stuff and I still get wrecked at tournaments). Other than that though the tournament should be a good experience, just don't go in with super high expectations especially with a character like Mewtwo. My BIGGEST piece of advice would be to not give up even if **** gets overwhelming, you may be different but for me it was really a lot to take in with this game when I was just starting out.

As for the game, you gotta get your basic tech down ASAP. You should be able to wavedash, tech, dash dance and L cancel. SHFFLs are also important but are a bit more advanced. Mewtwos wavedash is fantaaaaaaaaaaaaastic but it takes a bit of time from learning wavedash and actually implementing it.

Anyway good luck at your tournament and good luck with mewtwo! btw nobody will blame you if you switch your main from mewtwo lol but I agree he is a totally an awesome character.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
Thank you DSL for the response I am definitely going to work on movement. I finally got the game and wow... My skills of playing cards or Halo do not transfer over in anyway besides not getting flustered in a losing situation. If I go (I am still playing in on it) I am most liking going to go 0-2... sigh.

Anyway I have a new question. Mewtwo is my favorite character but for some reason I can maneuver and cover space much better with Link. Should I stick it out with Mewtwo until I can move better or go with link for now and maybe come back? I have a hard time controlling Mewtwo the whole match without messing up and a hard time getting a kill shot or throw in.

** I'm not asking you to pick a character for me I am asking whats the best way to improve. For example in a poker game I don't need anyone to tell me what I did good or bad and I can level up each game instantly. However with fighters I don't have that same skill and I need some direction.

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
It's important to pick a main and stick with that character. It's also really important to try out a lot of characters and get a feel for how they work, especially with top tiers. IMO Mewtwo has better movement than Link if you master his wavedash but honestly both characters are trash lol. If you want the steps to improve the fastest here they are:

-Learn the basic tech skill and movement. This includes Wavedash, Short Hopping, Fast Falling, L-Cancel, SHFFL, and Waveland. Make sure you practice these until they are second nature.

-Pick a main and dedicate most of your time to that character. Obv youll have better results if you choose a top tier character but if youre passionate about a low tier like Mewtwo and you have the most fun with them then go for it.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY play with as many people as possible and go to as many tournaments and smash fests as you can! Playing with people who are better than you is the single fastest way to get good, especially when those people are willing to give you advice.

That being said I totally recommend you go to that tournament and have a good time. The very first time I played with good players I got bodied sooooooo hard haha but it happens to every1 :p It really helps if you have a friend thats also into melee that way you guys can go to tournaments and smash fests together and get wrecked together (makes it a little less devastating :colorful: lol)

Top Bottom