• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello. I'm the creator of the Smashing Speculation series

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
Hi there. For all five of you who know my work, I'm the creator of Smashing Speculation, a series of YouTube videos that applies academic theories of fandom studies to Smash speculation in hopes of achieving a greater understanding of this fandom as a whole. This is my official Smashboards account.

Dunno how much I'll actually use this, but it's probably good to have around.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiX6t8zU2wO9p7DQYcDpbzw

ask me anything :p

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here's a proper welcome to you, Jon! :)

As for asking you anything... cake or pie? ;) (On a serious note, what ideas do you have for your channel apart from Smashing Speculation? What other games might you cover? I'm officially a sub now, by the way. Your work is fantastic!)

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
Here's a proper welcome to you, Jon! :)

As for asking you anything... cake or pie? ;)
what sort of fiend are you to ask someone to make an impossible choice :drsad:

On a serious note, what ideas do you have for your channel apart from Smashing Speculation? What other games might you cover? I'm officially a sub now, by the way. Your work is fantastic!
Truthfully, I'm unsure. A major issue going forward is time, so regardless of what I'd want to create I may simply lack the time necessary to devote to these undertakings. Smashing Speculation itself might be finished for now; while I'm not closing the door on it entirely, I've largely covered the topics I wanted to when I first conceived of the series. A new video would require me finding another good topic to cover that I can successfully relate to Smash speculation (like how Geno is the perfect lens through which to introduce the topics of hype and transformation in fandom culture).

Of course, once I get a good idea, I'm quite restless to start doing everything I can to bring that vision to life. :p

Smashing Speculation aside, I do study game design in addition to fandoms, so perhaps in the future, I might make videos talking about good and bad design through the lens of specific games? I actually have some unpublished video essays like that I could rework into something in the future. Might be fun.
:happysheep:

Though I do apologize if you subbed to me expecting a ton of content. The most I can do is promise to produce quality work when I can.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Though I do apologize if you subbed to me expecting a ton of content. The most I can do is promise to produce quality work when I can.
Dude, quality is always way better than quantity! I'm A-OK with that. I'm liking your other ideas, by the by, and I agree that it's a good idea to pace yourself and focus on what works with you.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sorry I didn't get to say this last week, but welcome to Smashboards!

Top Bottom