• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heart of the Cards: Cloudians

Shiri

Smash Chump
Link to original post: [drupal=755]Heart of the Cards: Cloudians[/drupal]

Heart of the Cards: Cloudians

I would like to start this entry off by saying "Thank you" to everyone who has taken the time to read this, for whatever reason. It's not often that I publish material of any kind unless it's related to Super Smash Bros. in some way, so I'm starting off with Yu-Gi-Oh! material very slowly.

This is the first entry I'll be writing regarding Yu-Gi-Oh!. I started learning how to play in March 2008 and absolutely fell in love with it; it's been my first TCG and likely my only one, haha. Since my roommates all played it since their high school days, they decided to bring it to college with them and I was soon thrown in, despite my efforts against it. They went through the trouble of building me a deck before I arrived at my apartment for the first time in a year (I had been back home on a co-op assignment) that they felt fit my personality and my likings. Cloudians.

I have to admit, when I first laid eyes on the cards, I had no idea what to expect. My first impression of the Cloudian - Smoke Ball card was unforgettable: "Ewww, it's a...some kind of...fetus thing! Ugh!" Now I'm far too in love with them and have taken this time to revisit the deck they built and try to tune it up to be as sturdy as possible. I truly believe that Cloudians are one of the few casual monster archetypes that can be made into competitive mid-tier on its own merits.

Without further ado, the deck:

Cloudians: 42

Monsters: 22
Cloudian - Smoke Ball [2]
Cloudian - Turbulence [2]
Cloudian - Altus [2]
Cloudian - Acid Cloud [2]
Cloudian - Cirrostratus [2]
Cloudian - Storm Dragon [2]
Cloudian - Ghost Fog [2]
Cloudian - Nimbusman [2]
Cloudian - Eye of the Typhoon [2]
Lava Golem [1]
Herald of Orange Light [2]
Sangan [1]

Spells: 11
Monster Reborn [1]
Heavy Storm [1]
Mystical Space Typhoon [1]
Giant Trunade [1]
The Sanctuary in the Sky [2]
Cloudian Squall [3]
Summon Cloud [2]

Traps: 11
Trap Dustshoot [1]
Spirit Barrier [2]
Updraft [2]
Spiritual Water Art - Aoi [2]
Royal Oppression [2]
Natural Disaster [1]

Extra Deck: 15
Junk Warrior
Magical Android
Queen of Thorns
Turbo Warrior
Goyo Guardian
Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth
Black Rose Dragon
Psychic Lifetrancer
Nitro Warrior
Colossal Fighter
Thought Ruler Archfiend
Red Dragon Archfiend
Stardust Dragon
Gladiator Beast Gyzarus
Gladiator Beast Heraklinos

Side Deck: 15
Thunder King Rai-Oh [2]
D.D. Crow [2]
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole [1]
Lucky Cloud [1]
Chain Destruction [2]
Karma Cut [2]
Mirror Force [1]
Intercept [1]
Divine Wrath [2]
Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell [1]

The monster selection is strictly based on using Cloudians and their effects to try to maintain control over certain parts of the field while waiting for Nimbusman and Storm Dragon to appear. Typhoon is a mixed bag--he sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I try to cut most of my monsters down to two copies so I can draw the different varieties somewhat quicker. Drawing one Altus after another is not fun and when this deck slows down, it's hard to get back into action. Lava Golem is probably a lifesaver--tributing two of my opponent's monsters can make amazing headway in the duel, even though I'll probably have to have Cirrostratus on standby to get rid of it immediately, haha. Herald is amazing! It's a tuner, which is nice, but I'm using it for its ******** effect. Take that, Gyzarus! It's like a Divine Wrath from nowhere. So awesome.

The spell selection is a mix of cards that I never go without putting in any deck and some support for both effects and my life points. I find that the majority of my problems don't come from field wipes or negation. I just get whittled down too quickly via battle damage. Cloudian Squall is here to help boost effects as quickly as I can from my monsters while Sanctuary in the Sky keeps me safe for a time. I am seriously contemplating running Cestus of Dagla in here just to help gain some life, but I think this will do fine for now.

The trap selection is a bit odd. I'm doing quite a few things here, which could help or hurt the deck. Without too much commitment, I'm using water monsters' innate ability to control the hand of their opponents with Aoi. If I were running a full fish deck, I'd be running much more hand destruction, but this will do, I think. Since special summoning outside of Smoke Balls is almost non-existent, Royal Oppression has to be mained. Updraft is included for its nasty burn damage--I just hope monsters stay on the field long enough to accumulate a few thousand points of damage. If there is ever a consideration on what to remove from this deck, it will probably be Updraft. Fields change too much in the current format...nothing really stays still long enough to accumulate Fog Counters.

This is my take on Cloudians so far. It's not the best or most effective way to run them, but I try to look at the different decks I use with an open mind and using cards that stick to the heart of their theme while still making them effective. Thanks for reading, and if you leave any comments, please make sure that they're comprehensible and polite. Until next time~

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: D1 in the house AHHHHH TOO MUCH AMAZINGNESS IN ONE THREAD

P.S. - What's really good with that purple name, sir? Good stuff!

Top Bottom