• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Fights to the Finish Cuz He Eats His Spinach: Popeye the Sailor Man joins the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
A natural born rumbler, Popeye would make a fine addition to the SSB4 roster.

Popeye's History with Nintendo
Before Mario, Nintendo wanted to use Popeye as their new mascot for the Donkey Kong arcade game. But they were unable to get permission for his use. Shortly after the release and huge success of the Donkey Kong arcade game, the Popeye arcade game got approval and Miyamoto released another hit.
Popeye Arcade Gameplay

(TROLOLOLOLO R.O.B. took this seriously)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Amazed this thread hasn't been locked!

If any character, out of video games and 4th parties deserves to be in, it is Popeye. As he was also important in the creation of Mario.

Maybe next to him it is Mickey who also has some story with Mario; but Popeye would fit better.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only if Bluto is in the game and is a clone of Donkey Kong

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
remember people. the only reason we have the original Donkey Kong game is because Nintendo couldnt make the Popeye game they wanted.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Well blow me down!

:phone:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Like I said, not a chance as he is a 4th party but if there is one that deserves it, it is him. Usually I notice that the ones who don't want him in, are younger guys who didn't grew up with Popeye. Sad that is the main factor considered to not get him in aside being 4th party.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most deserving "4th Party," no doubt, but "4th Party" nonetheless. I'm surprised this went under the radar for so long.

D

Deleted member

God damn, there is no such thing as a "4th Party". Anyone that knows anything about IPs would know this, and I curse Super Smash Bros. Crusade for introducing the falsified term.

Popeye is a 3rd Party. He's just a 3rd Party of non-video game origin.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hence why I used quotes, recognizing that the term is used in a newer way or is not a conventional term.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why isn't this locked? Just because Nintendo has made a Popeye game in the past doesn't mean he is eligible.

They also published the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars games, but any manga/anime character thread would get locked right away. :p

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why isn't this locked? Just because Nintendo has made a Popeye game in the past doesn't mean he is eligible.

They also published the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars games, but any manga/anime character thread would get locked right away. :p
> implying it's a serious thread :laugh:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

The mods are terrified of Popeye. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know it's a joke thread, I didn't know joke threads were now exempt from getting locked. :rolleyes:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Inb4 Mario gets cut for Popeye.:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom