• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble with tilt moves

criel

Smash Rookie
Hello,

Recently I've been trying to better my game but am having some trouble with tilt moves. Most of the time I end up doing my smash, I'm on a gc controller. Is it just practice makes perfect with this or is there any easier way to setup the controller to do tilt moves?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
If you go to the custom controls section, you can disable the tap jump which can help you to avoid a third motion (Tilt - Hold -Jump).

You can also attempt to hold the analog stick in one direction while using the C-Stick (Only works vertically, so no side tilts will work like this)

But overall, if you're looking to make that transition altogether, you will need to focus on reading and timing.

In most cases, tilts will work best in planning and anticipation. Planning meaning that you are deliberately aiming to make it happen as your initial string start up. Anticipation meaning that while reading your opponents attacks, you respond accordingly.

You've got to think of it of less of a scramble to perform and more of an opportunity to establish your boundaries. You're "sphere of influence" as I like to call it, is the zone of which your attacks are effective. Study those zones. If you are able to read your opponent's moves you can easily clear your sphere of influence of them using a tilt.

+I recommend working with trips first aka D-tilts. After jabbing (neutral A) or specials work that into a string.

Tap A --> Hold Analog Stick down --> tap A again [TRIP]

+Up tilts work really well after jumps as your landing frames conceals your strategy; especially since most players seek out jumping frames as a vulnerability point. This is what some people might call 'leading'.

+Forward tilts are number two in obviousness right behind up tilts. Standing still, your motions are can easily be read. In a scuffle, its likely that you will mash too hard and end up using a smash attack. Both areas have the tech boundary of vulnerability, which no one is excited about.

Forward tilts work well after using your sheild. If anything, the sheild halts your momentum after motions, so it saves you the extra precaution of running into an attack. Of course using projectiles or specials help to clear your vulnerability, however as long as you are in range, you can be attacked or grabbed. Be patient and wait for the opportunity.

BLOCK --> KNOCK

Keep at like you said, and you'll do fine.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I was actually looking forward to hearing about other perspectives (even though this isn't my thread). Its an awesome sight to see a player taking the initiative to refine their skills.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
You can always just do what I did, which is go into options and assign the C-stick to attack. Perfect tilts every time! :troll:

...Granted, doing it this way does take a bit to get used to.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I just practice not pressing the control stick all the way in the direction I want to tilt. Also using animations from attacking or shielding to prep the control stick in the direction for the tilt is very helpful for me.

Top Bottom