• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having Trouble Finding a Main

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
As the title suggests, I'm having main issues.

I come from Melee and I still play it more tbh, but I wanted to start playing more Sm4sh competitively and no character feels...right.

I play Marth in Melee and I can't seem to find a character that has the same feel like Melee Marth's feel, even Marth imo.
Basically, what I want to know is who is the most Marth-like in combo game in the game?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Marth-only player from melee here.

Theres no one similar to that Marth in mash 4 , and im sorry to say this to you.

Smash4 marth is very similar to brawls marth...and brawls marth was totally different from melee marth. Its all about lone blows and unreliable tippers. His combo game is dead

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Well, there is no one quite like the Melee Marth, but it takes some time to get accustomed to a new character, right?

If I really had to give you options, I guess I would suggest Roy. He's probably the closest you'll get, but despite this, you should still try out some new characters.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
thats the best advice. Start from zero and try all the roster.

After a year or so i cant find a main myself... but i have been havig fun playing with 5 or 6 different characters.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
That's great! Eventually you will find someone. Keep trying. Smash 4 has really revolutionized the series (for better or worse), so you kind of just have to accept the change. The characters are all very different now so I think it's a great opportunity to try something new.

Best of luck to both of you!

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
Well, I figured that was the case. I've been experimenting with the whole cast since the 3ds version came out and it's just not feeling right the whole time. I have a few characters that are interesting or a little fun (Cloud, Roy, Falcon) but no one worth devoting a lot of time to.

I'll see how Corrin is before I throw in the towel and just stay a For Glory-tard and practicing mah Maylays

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've been playing since release and only just now have a main I'm fully devoted to.

I swapped a billion times always feeling something was missing either from the character or from me.

Last week, I went to my scene and randomly decided to use Mewtwo for friendlies. I didn't do so hot but since I had been using him all day I decided to continue using him through the tournament. The two guys who had been dominating me in friendly matches all day I ended up 2-0ing.

Later that day we decided to have a doubles tour as well for fun. In one match, the guy who won the singles tournament lost his partner and my own partner was out of stocks. It was just me using Mewtwo versus the guy who I had no hope of beating earlier (using Lucas) both with one stock and around 60%.

Back and forth we played tooth and nail trying to get some damage off on the other. Somehow I got him to kill percent and he made the mistake of air dodging while I was on the ground. I immediately rushed over and got a full up-smash on his Lucas and won the round.

It was the most hype I had been in a long time. I decided from that point that I loved how Mewtwo played and felt.

The point I'm trying to get across is that it may take a while for some of us to find "the one," but if you give it some time and never completely give up then you'll find your main. Heck, you may change your mind about a character that you already gave up on maining.

I never played Melee competitively and rarely played Marth so I can't help in that regard BUT I would recommend trying Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
... It was the most hype I had been in a long time. I decided from that point that I loved how Mewtwo played and felt.

The point I'm trying to get across is that it may take a while for some of us to find "the one," but if you give it some time and never completely give up then you'll find your main. Heck, you may change your mind about a character that you already gave up on maining.
Yeah, some characters demand that you get over "the wall" - which is the period where their moves don't make sense and their timings are hard to work out. Mewtwo is a great example of this! Ultimately those are the most rewarding characters to play (IMO) because you feel like you have invested in them, and many players will underestimate you all the way into the blast-zone.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Have you considered trying a Mii? Mii Swordfighter doesn't combo like Melee Marth, but he's better at it than every non-DLC swordguy.

Top Bottom