• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble against Ranged characters

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Kso, I'm a fairly new Wario and I'd like to think that I'm better than I am but sadly I am not.

That being said, how the heck do you fight against anything with ranged harassment like Samus, Link, Tink, Mario, etc

Most of the time I find myself getting killed without getting hardly any damage on them at all and it's quite frustrating.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
You can nair through most projectiles and still hit the attacker with the 2nd hit of nair. Wario's good air speed allows him to punish even from a distance when he jumps over a projectile. If not punish, it will at least close the gap and force your opponent to anti-air, or shield. If you're coming from a melee background, know that PM has 50% melee powershield and 50% brawl powershield. The brawl powershield has a 2 frame window (technically 1 since the melee powershield now occupies the last frame of it) and doesn't reflect projectiles but has all the benefits of a powershield otherwise. The melee powershield reflects projectiles, which is what you want. Lots of people don't try to powershield because 1 frame windows are difficult, but a 2 frame window is twice as easy and is always worth attempting.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
IIRC there is a two-frame perfect reflect shield and a two-frame powershield (before), so it is 4 frames all in all. Not 100% sure though

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Ah ok I just thought I heard it on some commentary, but I guess commentators are also wrong sometimes.
Shield size influences it, too, and your momentum.
For example, you have a laser going at Bowsers shield. There are more than 2 frames at which the laser is in Bowsers frame-2-shield without hitting him.

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
I recommend picking stages with platforms and use the platforms to avoid the projectiles. NAir is a good approach option as discussed above. Make sure that you predict the projectile and NAir before it hits you since NAir has a small start-up time. FAir also beats many projectiles if an opponent foolishly tries to use a projectile within your range. FAir also comes out faster than NAir in my opinion. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Although platforms are good, do not play on stages which have platforms so close together that you can not approach from the air. I recommend Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, WarioWare, Skyloft, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland, and Smashville. I never go to Final Destination against any character with a good projectile... *Cough* Mario *Caugh* *Caugh*

Finally, do not let the opponent put any space between you and him or her. Make sure to keep applying pressure. Utilize NAir, FAir, and BAir as edge-guard tools due to their capability to beat any projectile meant to protect the opponent on his or her way back to the stage.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
The only thing I know for sure is against Mario, I find the four different ones I've fought all throw their fireballs super predictably, making it easy to see where they're going, avoid them and punish accordingly. Although a more experience mario would probably be able to outsmart this tactic it works pretty well the first few times.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
The only thing I know for sure is against Mario, I find the four different ones I've fought all throw their fireballs super predictably, making it easy to see where they're going, avoid them and punish accordingly. Although a more experience mario would probably be able to outsmart this tactic it works pretty well the first few times.
On the topic of Wario here are some videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suFABY-3xjg&list=UUj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNDlCk7mHk&list=UUj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktXe5eYFiJw&list=UUj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
Some treat the pills like Falco lasers and follow them up.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
I have a lot of experience in the link match up, i've found that i really have to rely on my air weaving skills have to try and find an opening in his projectiles. More recently I got some experience with fair beating fireballs but haven't gotten it consistently. Also like cpark said platforms give you more options to avoid projectiles so trying to strike to those stages is always a good idea.

Top Bottom