• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having major issues fighting Sheik

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I feel like I'm "stuck" when it comes to matchups like Sheik.

I can't approach her horizontally because she spams needles and runs away when I get close. If I jump at her and do Nair or Fair, she just turtles with shield and punishes with grab. I had a long time to fight this Sheik so I got to try lots of things against her, but none of them seemed very effective. I understand Sheik is good at getting damage and not great at getting kills, but it was just getting to the point where I was just fighting a wall.

I'm just not sure what the best course of action is for Shulk when fighting hyper-fast character that outspeed all of his attacks and grab often so counter is unreliable. Some help/advice here would be great.

Please refer to the FAQ thread next time or the meta game thread

I'll talk about the arts in this match up:

Buster can work because your attacks become safer on shield so you can space your attacks against her. Always remember to use your d-tilt and f-tilt for spacing. They both have long range and they both deal a lot of damage. Going for grabs with buster is important because your throws deal a lot of damage with buster activated. Basically with buster, just keep poking at her and dealing damage safely. Make sure you don't whiff anything because Sheik will punish you hard if you whiff any move with Shulk. This also applies in any art

Speed and jump also works very well. You can use these arts catch up with Sheik's speed. With speed, you can confuse Sheik players by mixing up your offensive tactics which are: Pivot grabbing, Pivot f-tilts, Pivot f-smash, SHFF n-air, or just confusing them by dash dancing. Also, you can hop over her needles with speed. With jump, you can play defensively or offensively but the real boon here is the ability your control the stage. With the mobility you have, you can jump around the stage and perform empty jumps to bait Sheik. Needles aren't really much to worry about because you can literally jump over them.

Shield well... Sheik can camp you out with it and honestly, you don't need this art because Sheik already has difficulty KO'ing anyone. Maybe you can use this to mitigate the damage Sheik deals but I feel like Sheik can just circle around Shield Shulk.

You can go for the KO with Smash at an early percent considering Sheik's weight.

Last edited:

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I just ran into this issue today, and while I was totally creamed, I noticed that Jump actually helped quite a bit with being evasive at least.

Ephemiel

Smash Cadet
I'd say either Speed, Jump or Buster depending on how you play. My own recommendation would be Speed for the same reasons berserker mentioned. This is one of the best things about Shulk, he can adapt to almost everything.

Top Bottom