• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever switched mains?

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
If you have, what was your reason for doing so?

When I was still playing the game casually, I played Luigi. A few years ago I discovered the competitive scene, and decided to switch mains to Falcon, because I enjoyed his speed and combo game.

Since then I've also played my fair share of Marth, and I've picked up Fox in recent times. I enjoy all three, so it makes it hard to choose between them sometimes.

Pauer

The Pauerful
I switched my main once but that was after my first time playing. Before I had only practiced by myself so I don't know whether that was much of a main. Sheik just felt good and I got the best results with her; not sure whether I would do better because I had more control or it was her having simple tools that give nice results which made me feel in control.

I don't think the choice of a main should be put too much time into. You will see how your view about the game and characters will change as you improve and start to understand more. The way you feel about your character will inevitably change through improvement. Time spent on figuring out which character to play is just time you could be using to improve instead. A character is but a mean to understand what the game is really about so just pick one that feels good and stick with it.

The same is true about play-styles, they are not something you choose but something you develop by becoming better and trying to be as good as possible. If you just choose to play a certain way, you are most likely limiting yourself in some aspect.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I switched from Falco to Falcon around November or October of last year, after I had already trained and attended a tournament. I switched mainly because I had played Falco on Melee since it was announced that Roy wasn't in Brawl (Roy was my main at the time, but I wanted to train for when the new Smash came out), developed scrubby habits that were REALLY had to break (since I didn't actually start training to be competitive until 2012), and since I inadvertantly taught myself to do literally everything a scrubby Spacie is infamous for, I figured it would be easier to switch mains. By the way, that isn't a good reason to switch mains unless you're still at the lower levels; you'd get frustrated in your performance drop if you're already a reputable player unless you are training that new main 24/7.

Also, I have a lot more fun playing Falcon :)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Changed from Marth to Ganon in 2006. Ganon is the reason I still play this game. He's just fun as hell to play, edgeguarding, techchasing, hard reads and hard hits.

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
I've probably "mained" half of the cast by now, though I only have tournament experience with Sheik, Link, Falco, Falcon, and Fox. I just have fun with most of the characters once I can find their strengths and weaknesses. I've been forcing myself to main fox now.

PineTree2.0

Smash Cadet
I've had troubles choosing a main (I'd switch every other week basically), but right now I'm trying to stick with Yoshi. Marth is my secondary.

Last edited:
Back when I started playing competitively (January 2, 2009), I used to play like up to 10 characters equally. My best character at the time was Falco. As time passed, I stopped using the ones that sucked the most until I got down to Fox and Falco. A month before Genesis 1 happened, I ended up dropping Falco to focus solely on Fox

After Genesis 1, I got inspired to try Peach for fun and she worked for me, but I thought my wins were dumb flukes. When I got to college, I very gradually started playing her more often against my roommate. During Christmas break, I had a small Smashfest with a Marth main on December 23, 2009 and my Peach noticeably out performed my Fox

I have tried other characters as mains during my latest 5 years and 11 months of playing and Peach will never leave me

Currently, I look like I main Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon, but they're for friendlies against people who aren't better than I am as them. I only pull out my Peach for tournaments and good opponents

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Fox since 2006 because of the video "Shine Blind" with a lot of on and off playing. Switched to Luigi half a year ago because of tech chase Shin Shoryukens. Eventually I started to like everything about him. Ease of comboing fast fallers, random up throw to misfire attempts, ice skating around the stage, it's all really fun for me. I believe my Fox and my Jiggs are still better, but I am working on it.

I have told my friends though, If I had been a Falcon main since day 1, I would probably never switch. He's way too fun. Why don't I main him now? I dunno

Edit: Oh but casually before knowing anything about the competitive scene/tech I did main Young Link. Up throwing people into bombs I have just thrown upwards was the most swag combo my kid mind thought of. Those were the days.

Last edited:

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
When I started playing in April of this year, I mained Falco. Then I realized that he's totally lame and switched to Fox

ACM11

Smash Rookie
I started playing falcon, then fell in love with fox. No, the tier list did not have an impact. And no, I don't hate falcon. I still love falcon and probably my favorite character to watch. I still play him today but fox is definitely my main.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
I first mained Ganondorf and Marth, a long while ago. Then I switched to Sheik and Marth. Now I main Marth and Fox, and secondary Sheik.

Mugifi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mugifi
3DS FC
0216-0792-4194
When I was playing Melee casually, I was a Yoshi main. When I entered the competitive scene, I switched to Falco. After a few times, I switched back to Yoshi. I play a lot of character for fun but Yoshi is the only character that I truly enjoy and is the only one that I feel is worth my time and patience. I might go back to Falco to practice him as my secondary.

Last edited:

Happens2u

Writing Team
When I was a casual I played Ness because my cousin had told me that Ness is the best character in the game and that if I wanted to be good I needed to learn how to use him. I dropped Ness because of his position on the tier list once I went competitive. I like low tiers but not that low. I bounced around between like 10 characters for a while. I read something about how if you wanted to beat a character play as them for a while, so I played YL because one dude was styling on me with him. I knew he just had to be my main. I dropped him after losing a whole bunch and picked up Falco and he is sort of my main, but I know my real main is YL.

I considered Falco my main until I schooled myself on the finer points of Melee. I then switched to Samus, because she's more fun to play for me.

Also I'm a baby, and Falco is too hard.

:falcomelee:

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
over the course of about a year:

samus -> peach -> falco -> fox

switched from samus because i realized that i didn't know how to move well enough to be successful with her and i thought movement would best be learned with another character
switched from peach because i got tired of playing the marth matchup (even though i love watching the MU it seems like you have to play so much better than the marth to really win neutral and i got tired of it). again the movement problem was present here. peach is fun but i didn't know how to move effectively with her and a lot of matchups just feel like a huge uphill battle. again this was partially due to laziness as a player but i still like playing peach on occasion.
switched from falco because the character didn't fit my playstyle well and i felt like i was using lasers as a crutch and didn't know what to do in certain situations. also just not that fun of a character for me, personally.
the fox switch feels like it could be permanent. if i ever switch again it'll probably be to marth, maybe sheik.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I used to play Falcon and Puff back in Sept. of 2014. Then in either March or April, I switched to Fox and Puff. Sometime in maybe June or July, I switched to only Fox.

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
went from marth/sheik to falco/sheik because i one day was playing my falco, and realized he was my best character aside from sheik

iMask

Smash Rookie
Back when I wasn't involved in he competitive scene, I used to main Toon/Young Link (back in 2007). However, in 2014, I switched my main to Marth. I found he was my best choice. Only recently (a month ago), I stopped playing Marth and started playing Fox. I found he fit my play style perfectly.

Squirrell

Smash Cadet
Reading this thread and having almost every comment end with "but now I main Fox" is just depressing. People wonder why Melee's metagame is so stagnant. :facepalm:

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
i was never able to play fox, i mean i can play falco good, but i still use sheik constantly and its 50/50 with falco and marth. I dont know which one to use as a secondary

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Reading this thread and having almost every comment end with "but now I main Fox" is just depressing. People wonder why Melee's metagame is so stagnant. :facepalm:
I don't think anybody is wondering that. In fact, I'm constantly amazed at how vibrant the metagame is after 14 years.

Top Bottom