• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have We Seen All The Starting Characters?

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
don't think so...think falcon and ness are starting character and diddy isn't starting one

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Phantom7
No offense, but I doubt it. There's gonna be like 40 characters in the game, and there are 19 confirmed so I don't think you'll unlock more characters than what you start with. My guess is that you'll start with about 24 and unlock about 16. But this does mean that after the next character is confirmed, they'll have half the characters.
I have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Phantom7
1. Over 40 characters is almost impossible.
Now I'm even more confused.

bladzer
We've seen the F-zero icon,Mother icon and anmal crossing icon so this means they're going to rveal a F-zero and mother character soon
How does that prove that they're going to be revealed soon? They could be the last characters revealed. It's been a while since we've seen all of those icons and we haven't seen any of those characters yet.

axemangx
Lets not forget how huge the scroll-down is.
What does that have to do with anything?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, if you notice on smashbros.com on Ike's update, Diddy's update, and Pokemon Trainer's pupdate, it says "Warning! Challenger approaching!" How does this seem familiar? Hmm...

It's not a starting roster because unlockable characters are on there. Simple as that =)
OR. . .

It could just be that those are the only characters that have been in an update on the site that weren't either veterans or pre-confirmed from the early, early, early trailers. Yeah, it's possible that they're secret characters, but it's also possible that Sakurai just decided to include a notable, somewhat relevant quote from the franchise when he updated with truly new characters. It doesn't confirm they're secret characters; it just allows for the option.

Ryralane

Smash Rookie
That makes sense, and now that I look I see your point. I'll go back to waiting until it comes out @__@

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Now why would Sakurai go and reveal the whole starting roster in one update? o_o He could easily just edit it later. XD

susu_atari

Smash Ace
All we actually have is 19 characters. We don't know which of the characters we've seen are starters, although I imagine they all probably are. We've seen the official boxart, and Pokemon Trainer is on there, so the "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!!!" = unlockable doesn't really hold water.

Also, Brawl doesn't come out for another 11 weeks, and I doubt there'll be no character updates in all that time. If we get a character every fortnight until release, that's 25 starters. Seems about right to me.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I knew this would pop up somewhere as soon as I saw that screenshot. Well, I think that Sakurai specifically made it to not show the unconfirmed characters. He made the game, so he could easily take out a few icons to take a screenshot. He blurred out the screen from the Names update.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I knew this would pop up somewhere as soon as I saw that screenshot. Well, I think that Sakurai specifically made it to not show the unconfirmed characters. He made the game, so he could easily take out a few icons to take a screenshot. He blurred out the screen from the Names update.
This has nothing to do with that

...ok so it does now...but it didn't

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Why would you count them as more than 1 each?
Because, even though they take up one character slot, each Pokemon and Zamus all had the same amount of work put into them as every other character. That also means they take up the same amount of memory, which could mean less characters than could be so if only 1 Pokemon took PT's spot or Samus had no Zamus.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because, even though they take up one character slot, each Pokemon and Zamus all had the same amount of work put into them as every other character. That also means they take up the same amount of memory, which could mean less characters than could be so if only 1 Pokemon took PT's spot or Samus had no Zamus.
That doesn't make them count toward the starting roster though

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
That doesn't make them count toward the starting roster though
Exactly.

Zamus may have a unique moveset, but as far as we know, she's not selectable from the main menu. And PT's pokemon may each have unique movesets, but (assuming this "stamina" thing works out the way Sakurai intends) you won't be able to main any singular one of them. By necessity, if you want to "main" Squirtle, you're gonna have to "main" Charizard and Ivysaur too.

Thus, there's no reason to count them as "starters".

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
sasu_atari
We've seen the official boxart
We have? When?

sasu_atari
Also, Brawl doesn't come out for another 11 weeks, and I doubt there'll be no character updates in all that time. If we get a character every fortnight until release, that's 25 starters. Seems about right to me.
How do you know that they aren't going to show hidden characters before the game comes out?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We have? When?

How do you know that they aren't going to show hidden characters before the game comes out?
They are...there was a quote somewhere...

I think I read it right that they are going to releash all the characters before it's releashed

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just know there will be more characters, Snake isn't put in but we know he's in plus there's alot more time for updates and stages items, music, modes,tactics, and characters:goomba:
Snake isn't a starter character

Luigi333

Smash Journeyman
As a former computer science major, I will say that it would be extremely easy for the developers to go into the programming of the game and rearrange the order of how the icons appear so as to hide the unrevealed characters. They could of easily gone into the programming, moved a few lines of text, and switch the order of the icons in a matter of minutes. The programming needed to make the individual buttons work is separate from the programming that actually allows them to show up on the screen.

Conker1

Smash Ace

Look at the different avatars you can choose from online. See how first they list all the different icons, then they list all of the playable characters that have been profiled on the site so far, and then they start listing different Mii avatars.

But notice how all of the characters are together. If someone like Captain Falcon, for example, were going to be a starting character, wouldn't it make sense for his avatar to appear next to all the other characters?

The only thing I can think of is that you either have to scroll further down to select hidden character's avatars, or you can't use hidden character's as avatars until you unlock them.

Either way, that would mean that there are a total of 19 starting characters. That kind of kills the theory that there will be over 40 characters, because I find it hard to believe that over half the characters in the game would be hidden.

It could also mean that there is no Sheik in Brawl, or that Sheik is a separate hidden character.

No. He simply moved them to avoid spoilers. He wasn't going to work this hard avoiding spoilers in all his other screenshots to have a stupid avatar screen **** him up.

Top Bottom