• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have other games influenced your smash skill?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I know it might sound odd, but some games have helped me play worse, while others have made me better. For instance, playing a game liker mario maker, has taught me to be more patient. As most of you, if not all know, in any mario platform game, you can't just run and jump around freely. There are obstacles, enemies, pits, etc that prevent you from doing so. Instead, you learn to be more patient, and time things. This has transferred over to smash for me. My playstyle has went from reckless, to more well timed and thought out.

Have any of you experienced something similar? Maybe a game made you worse? Let me know which game, and whether or not it made you better or worse.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Playing Dota has taught me to analyze the game flow and thereby more reliably choose between aggressive or defensive techniques.

It has also taught me to pick the best setup for the situation, and to take any advantage I can find. This is why I am so diehard pro-Customs and will not thoughtlessly let a stage-strike go to Smashville just due to comfort.

Playing Xenoblade and Super Robot Wars taught me to break my stoicism and call my attacks as a means of increasing adrenaline.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I am fully convinced that Disgaea has made me comfortable with high-intensity, do-or-die matches.

Pit is basically Kid Icarus in Smash, which helps.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
- Starcraft
- League of Legends
- Unreal Tournament
- World of Warcraft

All of these games have helped me a lot with my reaction time and reflexes in smash.

It's also assisted me in being aware of your surroundings and options you have at your disposal.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
All my time put into CS:GO has helped me with my on-the-fly decision making. Knowing what options you have at any moment (Or what options the opponent has) is something that can make or break a game. Sure, you could do x, but the opponent does y and x does nothing, so do z. It's also helped with reaction times and handling stress.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Playing mobas (more specifically, Dota 2 and Heroes of the Storm) definitely helped me with decision making as well as having better reflexes.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Team Fortress 2 taught me to become aware of my surroundings at all times and determine the best plan of action as I normally use Medic.

F-Zero GX and Fire Emblem 7 taught me to use everything at my disposal and play optimally lest I suffer dire consequences.

Elsword (MMORPG), more specifically a class named Lord Knight, taught me the patience of waiting for an opening before going in and the importance of combating projectiles when you lack one yourself.

There's a lot more but those are the primary games that come in mind.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Street Fighter 4 helped me play more proactively, which helped me time my attacks properly and combo efficiently.

GigaPaul

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paul_SSJGod
3DS FC
5327-1884-5377
Yeah, Dota taught me not to go in and attack the opponent like an idiot and to think before I act so I don't die >.<

Top Bottom