• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has this game gotten any attention from Nintendo?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious to know to what extent Nintendo knows about this game (I recently jumped on the bandwagon). I can't imagine that they don't, seeing as how it's popularity has grown substantially as of late. My question is if they know, why are they not doing anything? The last thing I want is the dreaded cease and desist, but why would Nintendo, a company known for this sort of behavior, allow this game to continue on?

Technically it does sell copies of Brawl, but even so, Nintendo seems to be temperamental with every little thing. Any info on Nintendo's relationship with this game and the devs?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
They know enough about it, to delete any mentioned posts on the wiiu hub world thingie majig.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well, it's not like they are pirating copies of the game or making money off of it. It requires a copy of Brawl. Game mods have never been illegal, be it on PC in this case, console. But I guess I really don't know.

My guess would be cause it keeps the competitive fans quite. If they stop it, it might result pretty negative for them and Nintendo is in desperation mode right now.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Warning Received
keeps the competitive fans quite
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As for the rest of your post, Nintendo will ban anything and everything not made by them with it's property on it no matter if it's a free service or not. Just look at Super Mario Bros. X.

keeps the competitive fans quite
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, it's just too funny.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Nintendo isn't desperate right now. They have so much money, they could sit on their hands for about 40 years without making a dime, and they would still be able to float safely. That's FAR, from any desperation attempts. With things like smash, LoZ, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, MK8 etc, Nintendo FINE!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Remember what happened when they wrote a Cease and Desist to people streaming Melee at the one big tourney? (I think it was MLG)

There was an outcry and people captured Reggie and held him hostage. Imagine if they tried to stop PM... Oh god.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo would get a really bad rep if they killed a mod that helped sell more copies of their soon to be outdated release only because people play it competitively.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo is pretty inconsistent about this stuff. Sometimes they'll send a cease and desist to someone doing a fangame or even streaming a game Nintendo released, and then other times they'll be really cool about things, like letting an English patch for Mother 3 be completed and released even though they said in interviews from before it was done that they were aware of it happening.

Really, there's pretty much no telling how they'll act when it comes to this stuff.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well, it's not like they are pirating copies of the game or making money off of it. It requires a copy of Brawl. Game mods have never been illegal, be it on PC in this case, console. But I guess I really don't know.

My guess would be cause it keeps the competitive fans quite. If they stop it, it might result pretty negative for them and Nintendo is in desperation mode right now.

As for the rest of your post, Nintendo will ban anything and everything not made by them with it's property on it no matter if it's a free service or not. Just look at Super Mario Bros. X.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Buuut.. Then why is PM still around if thats the case?
And it does keep them quite. If they shut down, there would bean uproar. So it keeps the uproar down.
Remember what happened when they wrote a Cease and Desist to people streaming Melee at the one big tourney? (I think it was MLG)

There was an outcry and people captured Reggie and held him hostage. Imagine if they tried to stop PM... Oh god.
This exactly.

Nintendo isn't desperate right now. They have so much money, they could sit on their hands for about 40 years without making a dime, and they would still be able to float safely. That's FAR, from any desperation attempts. With things like smash, LoZ, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, MK8 etc, Nintendo FINE!
Don't matter how much money you have. A bombing console is a bombing console. It's doing worse then the gamecube did. Money has nothing to do with Nintendo wanting the Wii U to succeed.

Last edited:

AndrewGuy

Smash Cadet

Nintendo most likely didn't shut down SMBX, it is highly speculated that the creator, Andrew Spinks AKA Redigit/Demilogic shut it down to begin terraria, and there was no reason for nintendo to shut down SMBX, as there was no profit being, the same reason PM is not being c&d'd.

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Buuut.. Then why is PM still around if thats the case?
And it does keep them quite. If they shut down, there would bean uproar. So it keeps the uproar down.
hate to be the one to do this. but its "quiet." sorry, but u had 2 strikes. had to be done.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
did he discuss it/
He basically just said that Nintendo appears to be aware of the existence of PM and that they are "intrigued" by it. They are unlikely to shut down PM, but they will probably never support it, of course. So, nothing's really changed. Although it is interesting that Prog mentioned that he talked to some people from Nintendo who apparently followed the Melee scene at some capacity and actually donated to the breast cancer charity to get Melee into Evo.

Something of greater interest that Prog talked about in his stream was that there are apparently a couple of Nintendo people who keep on eye on sites like Smashboards. It seems that Nintendo is more aware of us than we have traditionally thought.

Last edited:

the man

Smash Apprentice
Never would have imagined Nintendo to be one of the big unnamed donators. If I remember correctly, the donations were neck and neck between Skullgirls and Melee. With melee having a $5,000 deficit or so (don't quote me on this). Did they say whether they were the final donator to get melee ahead of Skullgirls?

Kinda makes you wonder how much influence Nintendo really has on smashboards, maybe there's more to it then what they're letting on.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wow, Nintendo members could be any of us.
It could be me, or TC.

...By god Sobliminal.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman

Uh, I can think of quite a few companies that have HELPED people make mods for their games by providing a means to do so.
TES4:Morrowind and up,
Starcraft/Warcraft,
Torchlight 2, etc.

All these games (besides TL2, that one's kinda dying....) are still alive, even Morrowind has a healthy modding community behind it. Providing tools to help people mod the game has helped the game last a lot longer.
But I'm straying off the real topic.
I don't think PM is in any immediate danger. If they wanted the PMBR to C&D, they (probably) would have done it a long time a go, before it'd picked up a bunch of fans

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562

Hostage? O.o Is there an article or story I can read about this?

Top Bottom