• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has #MeToo gone way too far?

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
In my opinion, i think it has... considering the fact that thanks to this hashtag, people completely disregard the lack of evidence and immediately believe in whoever it is that is (probably not) being sexually abused.

What are your thoughts on #MeToo?

KingOfTheFools

Smash Rookie
I agree with you, it has to an extent.

I don't understand why you are going to Smashboards to discuss this, but OK.

Last edited:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
One of the principles that the movement in general has lost sight of is that of "innocent until proven guilty"
Personally, I think that raising awareness is good and important, but the movement as a whole has created so many opportunities for people to falsely take advantage of the support that people give to those seen as victims (I think supporting victims is good, but opening the doors too wide makes it so that frauds crowd out the people who need support the most)

D

Deleted member

You know what also went too far? People acting like Hyuga did nothing wrong.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The movement itself is great. We need to out people who do these vile things.

That said, I wish people would stop demonizing people before they are given a fair trial.

Accusations should always be taken seriously, but they aren't always accurate.

You know what also went too far? People acting like Hyuga did nothing wrong.
What did Hyuga do?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
The movement itself is great. We need to out people who do these vile things.

That said, I wish people would stop demonizing people before they are given a fair trial.

Accusations should always be taken seriously, but they aren't always accurate.

What did Hyuga do?
#memetoo xd

Idk some groping or w/e

D

Deleted member

Not far enough if men like Donald Trump are allowed to keep their positions of power.

D

Deleted member

It's hard to ever really say anything about these kinds of hastag movements because they're so broad. I think there's awful people that have associated with the hashtag(IIRC) sure, but I don't know if it the movement itself has gone too far, so to be speak.

I do agree though to an extent though, innocent. Not strictly by court ruling, as they've been wrong oh so many times.(Not that I don't hope that proper justice is served.) But based on the evidence presented. Which granted, is often hard to come by when harassment occurs.

Another thing, when it comes to innocent until guilty thing, I often notice that people who say that often assume that the victim is guilty as they have no evidence to present. What I'm getting at is that innocent until proven guilty applies to both the accuser and accused. And you know, sometimes the accuser is indeed caught making the harassment up. But that should also require hard evidence.

iCrash

Smash Cadet
Not far enough if men like Donald Trump are allowed to keep their positions of power.
I think you should re-evaluate both your position on the 'movement' and the justification for that logic.

Donald Trump is not in his position of power because people have not come forward. He is in his position because of things enabling him to stay as president, or a lack of mechanisms to take him out of the presidency for immoral things he has done (or at the least, been accused of).

#MeToo solves neither of these. Saying it needs to go further to get men like Trump out of power is like trying to shove a square peg through a circular hole.

Furthermore, there is a reason you picked (or thought of) Donald Trump compared to other people in 'positions of power' who have committed ****, sexual assault, etc. I dont mean for this to be an accusation, rather Id like you to seriously consider why you think this way.

I'll use the example of Asia Argento. She is a leader of the MeToo movement, and was accused of sexual assault in 2013. There is some evidence that supports this, and you can look into it further if you would like. But remember- she is a leader of the MeToo movement.

What do you think happens if the MeToo movement goes further? Lets say you manage to fit a square peg through a circular hole, and Trump is impeached. Great! You got what you wanted, right? But what about the people who would then be in power like Asia Argento? What happens then.

If your support of MeToo is based upon frustration and rage that someone like Trump is in a position of power, then I think it is very likely that will be used by others who may have just as many skeletons in their closet to further their own gains.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
The problem with metoo is that it has basically said that we should, without hesitation, always trust women´s stories. Yet women lie a lot in order to get power or influence, and they use this narrative - that no one should be allowed to question their stories - to their advantage.

And by doing that, these power hungry women make a great disservice to all women who have actually experienced sexual assault.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
MeToo wasn’t a bad idea and it went off the rails.

Nothing wrong with giving support to sexual assault victims but making an assumption that it happens and no one can ever lie is a terrible idea. Especially when it turns into trial by social media where the outrage alone can get people fired from their jobs or kicked out of college on the accusation alone.

Even if you are found innocent, that doesn’t matter to employers. Heck sone colleges despite an innocent verdict have thrown kids out of college.

Now we are at the point where some people like Henry Cavill refuses to date anyone. Some reports of men saying they wouldn’t give CPR of risk of sexual assault claims. It’s guilty before innocent in the eyes of MeToo. Which will only hurt women when no one wants to even risk the chance of a false claim.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MeToo wasn’t a bad idea and it went off the rails.

Nothing wrong with giving support to sexual assault victims but making an assumption that it happens and no one can ever lie is a terrible idea. Especially when it turns into trial by social media where the outrage alone can get people fired from their jobs or kicked out of college on the accusation alone.

Even if you are found innocent, that doesn’t matter to employers. Heck sone colleges despite an innocent verdict have thrown kids out of college.

Now we are at the point where some people like Henry Cavill refuses to date anyone. Some reports of men saying they wouldn’t give CPR of risk of sexual assault claims. It’s guilty before innocent in the eyes of MeToo. Which will only hurt women when no one wants to even risk the chance of a false claim.
If you're a man and you can't tell the difference between sexual harassment and CPR then yeah you should be concerned with yourself.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If you're a man and you can't tell the difference between sexual harassment and CPR then yeah you should be concerned with yourself.
I think the concern is radical feminists (read: misandrist hate-sacks) not knowing the difference between sexual harassment and CPR... or intentionally not acknowledging the difference, which may be even worse.

iCrash

Smash Cadet
You completely misinterpreted or misrepresented the point made.
The issue is that things like CPR, stares, catcalls, etc. are now being called ****, even when they are obviously not.

The phrasing used even specifically indicates this when it is mentioned the RISK of sexual assault claims, not that they are committing sexual assault while giving CPR, but that their actions may be misconstrued as ****.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
The issue is that things like CPR, stares, catcalls, etc. are now
Uhhhhh the very nature of catcalls is to be sexual harassment so that's ironic for you to mention.

Why are people interested in discussing if a campaign encouraging women to not be afraid to share their harassment stories is too much and needs to be toned down, instead of discussing how people can be taught to be more critical thinkers and evaluate things they read on social media more carefully and make informed opinions?

Last edited:

7 or 7

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1094 6225 9234
I think it both has and hasn't, also the MeToo movement hasn't really changed public opinion in any way, people have always disregarded evidence and followed their personal bias.

Weird topic for smashboards lol

Last edited:

iCrash

Smash Cadet
Uhhhhh the very nature of catcalls is to be sexual harassment so that's ironic for you to mention.

Why are people interested in discussing if a campaign encouraging women to not be afraid to share their harassment stories is too much and needs to be toned down, instead of discussing how people can be taught to be more critical thinkers and evaluate things they read on social media more carefully and make informed opinions?
If you cant tell the difference between a catcall and actually ****** someone, you have 0 sense of perspective

Nowhere did I say that catcalls are something you SHOULD be doing, or not sexual in nature, but to conflate catcalling someone with **** is to begin a process of undermining any meaning the word has.

While I agree with helping people learn to think more critically, at this point I think we need to teach them what words actually mean first

I think it both has and hasn't, also the MeToo movement hasn't really changed public opinion in any way, people have always disregarded evidence and followed their personal bias.

Weird topic for smashboards lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0_Zt9lv8o

True, personal bias has always been a factor, but since MeToo became prominent, but you can clearly see from studies in the video above that the way people view sexual assault / **** has trended negatively during the time where MeToo has been around. Now there may be other factors effecting these results (such as Asia Argento, Kavanaugh, etc.) but there is definitely a negative correlation, and even if MeToo is not the sole cause, it is likely a negative factor.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
If you cant tell the difference between a catcall and actually ****** someone, you have 0 sense of perspective

Nowhere did I say that catcalls are something you SHOULD be doing, or not sexual in nature, but to conflate catcalling someone with **** is to begin a process of undermining any meaning the word has.
First you should know there are censored words in your post so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here. But regardless the irony I was referring to is that you replied to Kokonoe's post and grouped CPR and catcalling together.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why are you using a smash bros website to discuss this exactly?

Just let us enjoy our children's party game
This is the Debate Hall an oft quiet but sometimes intense corner of Smashboards where you can discuss matters not related to smash. Welcome and enjoy!

iCrash

Smash Cadet
First you should know there are censored words in your post so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here. But regardless the irony I was referring to is that you replied to Kokonoe's post and grouped CPR and catcalling together.
Try using context clues

and I was mentioning different things that people had called **** that werent. Not comparing CPR to other actions.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Try using context clues

and I was mentioning different things that people had called **** that werent. Not comparing CPR to other actions.
Context clues about what exactly? It's not like I was responding to the argument you were trying to make. I was just pointing out something ironic . But if you want to get nitty gritty. Kokonoe was on point and you are wrong. No decent person should be afraid to give CPR because they may get accused of "sexual harassment" and while I can't generalize all falsely accused harassers, the several that I've seen on the news were irresponsible or hang out with sketchy people.

iCrash

Smash Cadet
Context clues about what exactly? It's not like I was responding to the argument you were trying to make. I was just pointing out something ironic . But if you want to get nitty gritty. Kokonoe was on point and you are wrong. No decent person should be afraid to give CPR because they may get accused of "sexual harassment" and while I can't generalize all falsely accused harassers, the several that I've seen on the news were irresponsible or hang out with sketchy people.
Well so far, you have misunderstood any and every point I have tried to make, and really seem to have no clue what Im even saying.

Kokone did not say no decent man would be afraid to give CPR, Kokone had said if you as a man cant tell the difference between CPR and sexual harassment then you are the problem- These are completely different arguments, and once again, you take something that was said and say the person meant something they very clearly did not say. If you are trolling, you are doing this very well ngl.

News arent reliable, and there have been plenty of cases of false accusations, and the impact on the accused is tremendous while the penalty is relatively minuscule. If you want, I can go find you several examples for reference

As for the 'no decent person' argument, no decent person should claim someone sexually assaulted someone else if they know thats false, but here we are

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, a lot of women love when you do unexpected things to them. One example of how far metoo craze has gone is that in Sweden, there is an app using bank ID you can use to give consent.

"Oh hey honey, want to have fun tonight?"
"Sure, let me just open the app so I can give you consent."

Women do not even want that. And that is the problem with metoo, it was taken over by feminists. There is a big difference between being a woman and being a feminist.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
"If you're a man and you can't tell the difference between sexual harassment and CPR then yeah you should be concerned with yourself."
The issue is that things like CPR, stares, catcalls, etc. are now being called ****, even when they are obviously not.
Well so far, you have misunderstood any and every point I have tried to make, and really seem to have no clue what Im even saying.
Well of course. Everyone must be misinterpreting and misunderstanding. You can't possibly just be wrong about something; that would be absurd.

Last edited:

iCrash

Smash Cadet
Well of course. Everyone must be misinterpreting and misunderstanding. You can't possibly just be wrong about something; that would be absurd.
Not saying that I cant be wrong, but so far you havent really responded to anything I have said in a way that makes sense in context. So far this string of comments and replies has been like this:

1. Red Ryu- MeToo wasnt bad but has gone overboard, to the point where some men feel afraid of being accused of sexual assault / **** for things that are not sexual assault or **** at all, like CPR (The point here is the men are afraid of being ACCUSED, not of actually doing something wrong)
2. Kokone- If you are a man that cant tell the difference between CPR and sexual assault, you are the problem (here the above argument is misrepresented as men not knowing CPR isnt sexual assault)
3. Me- You misrepresented the argument, Red Ryu was saying men are starting to be afraid of being accused because people accuse them of sexual assault or **** for doing things that are not sexual assault / ****
4. You- Well catcalls can be sexual assault, so bad example (+ other side discussion)
5. Me- When I mentioned catcalls, I was talking about how catcalling has been called **** when it clearly is not, and that causes other problems. I never said catcalling is something people should do, just that its not ****
6. You- There are words in your post that are censored so idk what you mean, also I think you shouldnt have put CPR and catcalls together
7. Me- Thats besides the point, both catcalls and CPR are not ****
8. You- Well I wasnt respoding to anything, but uh.... kokone is right! Ignore the context of what kokone was responding to, you shouldnt be afraid of giving CPR, so ha!
9. Me- Thats not what Kokone had said, if they had I would agree. You are also taking what kokone said of context in response to the point of post #1
10. You- Yeah well, maybe its not that I have missed context that changes the meaning of what was said, you are just wrong!

Note that if you go through every response here, nowhere have I said 'yeah Im not gonna give CPR because Im afraid of being accused of sexual assault' or 'its fine to not give PR if you are afraid of being accused of sexual assault', the original point was that while MeToo started off as something good, it has gotten to the point where certain men are doing weird things as a countermeasure to getting accused of sexual assault / ****.

My response was that Kokone's criticism did not line up with the point Red Ryu was making, thats it. I never said I thought CPR is sexual assault or that you should avoid giving CPR out of fear of being accused of doing something completely different. But your criticism of me has been that 'Kokone is right, people shouldnt be afraid of giving CPR!' which I do not disagree with

So yes, thus far, you have either misrepresented or misunderstood several things that I have said in context, and that is why I am disagreeing with you.

redenchanter

Smash Rookie
I have been sexually assaulted online.
To be sexually assaulted you got be in close proximity with the person. Unless that has changed.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
To be honest, a lot of women love when you do unexpected things to them. One example of how far metoo craze has gone is that in Sweden, there is an app using bank ID you can use to give consent.

"Oh hey honey, want to have fun tonight?"
"Sure, let me just open the app so I can give you consent."

Women do not even want that. And that is the problem with metoo, it was taken over by feminists. There is a big difference between being a woman and being a feminist.
What the hell? I can't tell if you have no idea what the campaign is about, or you are seriously trying to conflate sponteneity with something like surprise assault at the workplace.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
What the hell? I can't tell if you have no idea what the campaign is about, or you are seriously trying to conflate sponteneity with something like surprise assault at the workplace.
The problem is that there is no balance. Sure there is a problem with sexual misconduct, but there is also a problem with lying women. Look at the case with Brett Kavanough, two of the four women who accused him of sexual misconduct has admitted afterwards that they lied.

We need to have a balanced look at this. Question both sides. Metoo wants to give women positive special treatment (always blindly believe every woman who tells a story), as do feminism.

banana29

Smash Cadet
It’s important but it has gone too far. Like some have said, people are skipping over lack of evidence

Last edited:
Top Bottom